A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inverted's Pie Barn  (Read 39739 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Inverted's Pie Barn
« Reply #860 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Ryan,

It is often said that "perfection is the enemy of the good". I have perfectionist tendencies in several areas, some of which may even be evident on this forum  :-D,  but not with pizza. For me, good enough is good enough.

Peter

Soooo true! You start getting diminishing returns and lose track of where you started! Chasing the dragon, never quite catching it! 😁
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #861 on: July 15, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »
Soooo true! You start getting diminishing returns and lose track of where you started! Chasing the dragon, never quite catching it! 😁
Have you tried putting dragon on raw instead of pre-cooking?   

;D ;D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #862 on: July 15, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
Have you tried putting dragon on raw instead of pre-cooking?   

;D ;D

Pretty sure you need a deck oven to cook raw dragon through properly.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #863 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »
I've had iguana, about as close as I'll get to dragon! :-D
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #864 on: July 15, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
I've had iguana, about as close as I'll get to dragon! :-D
You win!!!    :D

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #865 on: July 16, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »
Got the itch to try another thin & crispy, this time I baked in a perforated pan with no stonage. Came out pretty sweet, might have to snag a real cutter pan to see how that compares.

Pepperoni & banana peppers today!

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #866 on: July 16, 2017, 10:39:20 PM »
sure looks good, Ryan.  :D :D  I have not tried my perforated discs yet. Must to, especially after yours looked.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #867 on: July 17, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
sure looks good, Ryan.  :D :D  I have not tried my perforated discs yet. Must to, especially after yours looked.

Do you have the Lloyd perf. discs? This is a Cuisineart pan I was given. I usually use it for American style doughs but I've used it a few times on thin & crispy pizza. The only issue is my oven seems hotter at the back, so if I don't time my rotation just right the undercrust will not come out evenly. I think that's why I like the stone, it acts as a buffer to even out the heat and make the bake more predictable. Like the idea of saving 30 min of preheating during the summer though. I need an electric Blackstone!

Yesterday's sauce was a step in the right direction I'd say... Pulsed this can of whole peeled through the FP, then squished that through a sieve... Wow! So smooth, now we're talking!! I thought it tasted so good with the seeds removed, I could have drank from the sauce bucket.

And I knew these tomatoes would end up being really good since it was just one random can on clearance, never to be seen again!

I think it needs more solids though for the bake time needed for this style. I think I will try the same sauce technique, but also fry some tomato paste until slightly caramelized and use that to thicken it and add umami to these thin & crispies!

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #868 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Nope, I just have the shiny aluminum ones that I seasoned this past Spring.

My oven is the same way. I did get lucky with the turning around time in that I can let the sauce and cheese get rumbling before needing to turn. The recovery time back to rumble is quick compared to getting it rumbling for the first time after turning. The little things.

Oh no! Not the dreaded last of an item ever that tastes decently. As if struggles with sauce are not hard enough. 

Good luck with that next sauce excursion.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #869 on: July 19, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
Today I noticed a Boars Head 3 month aged white cheddar in the cheese section. Thought it might make a good pizza cheese. Aged long enough to have some more complexity but not so long as to be overly sharp.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #870 on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:44 AM »
Today I noticed a Boars Head 3 month aged white cheddar in the cheese section. Thought it might make a good pizza cheese. Aged long enough to have some more complexity but not so long as to be overly sharp.
I look forward to your thoughts on that. I've like most of the BH stuff I've tried.

I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the texture. Along the lines of whether it is somewhat creamy or is it somewhat dried and flakes a bit when grated or cut.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #871 on: July 19, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
El Rapido Thin & crispy
100% KABF
54% Water
1% IDY
1.5% Salt
3% Sugar
6% Coconut Oil

2 hour proof, rolled out, cut to size, and direct to stone on the 2nd rack from the top @ 450F for 13 minutes.

Sauce was "Contadina Paste with Italian Seasoning" thinned with water, and I added a touch of fennel and 1/2 tsp more herbs.  Grated some domestic Romano on top of the sauced skin plus 6 oz of mozzarella slices and some Dietz & Watson pepperoni (pre-sliced; larger diameter than their stick pepperoni)

This pizza was damn good for such instant gratitude

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #872 on: July 19, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
Wow, love the quick pie there Ryan!  Thats one of the things I enjoy about the home run inn crust, it's ready almost instantly.  Was this a 12"?

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #873 on: July 19, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
That's some serious color!

Love the work flow. Mix a dough, power nap, turn oven on, power nap, bake pizza....and then power nap.  ;D

seriously, what's that, like 3 hours total? Sweet!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #874 on: July 19, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
Wow, love the quick pie there Ryan!  Thats one of the things I enjoy about the home run inn crust, it's ready almost instantly.  Was this a 12"?

12 incher!  :D

I've been curious about a "I want pizza now" type of thing, and this one worked out so well. It's a nice change of pace, since I imagine for most of us, pizza used to be a pretty easy/spontaneous choice that did not require much planning. This one did it right with CRUNCHY caramelized corners, and inside squares you can fold like a taco  :drool:
That's some serious color!

Love the work flow. Mix a dough, power nap, turn oven on, power nap, bake pizza....and then power nap.  ;D

seriously, what's that, like 3 hours total? Sweet!

Oh yeah!  8) I was pushing the color but it was totally safe, didn't go too far anywhere on it! It tends to happen with my screen bakes when I don't get the rotation just right. I raised the oil a bit from my last few pies and it was taking longer to crisp up the bottom. I think I'll drop the rack one or reduce oil back to 4%, or both.

Triple nap flow is too accurate!! 

:-[

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #875 on: July 19, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Dang that looks pretty. Anything different in the process to impact the melt?

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #876 on: July 19, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »
Dang that looks pretty. Anything different in the process to impact the melt?

Thanks! ;D This is 100% mozzarella, (sans romano on the sauce) the last couple bakes were 50:50 mozz/ sharp white cheddar. Also this was baked on stone and the one a few days ago was baked in pan.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #877 on: July 20, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »
What are you rolling the dough with? I haven't made a crisp pizza yet, but I just got a marble rolling pin to do it. It's so heavy it could kill someone so I expect it to roll that stiff dough pretty easily.
I forget how you're mixing your doughs; you have a stand mixer or is it by hand all the time?

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #878 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
What are you rolling the dough with? I haven't made a crisp pizza yet, but I just got a marble rolling pin to do it. It's so heavy it could kill someone so I expect it to roll that stiff dough pretty easily.
I forget how you're mixing your doughs; you have a stand mixer or is it by hand all the time?

Just a wooden rolling pin, these formulas aren't super stiff like a 30-40% hydration dough so they aren't so bad. I used to skip making this style because it was a lot of work rolling the dough, but if you do a low and slow bake you can still get the crunch factor.

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #879 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
Just a wooden rolling pin, these formulas aren't super stiff like a 30-40% hydration dough so they aren't so bad. I used to skip making this style because it was a lot of work rolling the dough, but if you do a low and slow bake you can still get the crunch factor.
I've recently wondered how you would classify the pressure applied. Just the weight of the pin itself, or do you apply a bit of force?

Sorry to butt in, csnack.

wordpress