A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blodgett 1000 pilot light out when door is shut  (Read 231 times)

Offline falsenorth

• I Love Pizza!
Blodgett 1000 pilot light out when door is shut
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
I have a stack of Blodgett 1000's. Yesterday one of them started to behave a bit weird. The pilot light keeps going out. It lights back up just fine and the element heats up as it should. But almost as soon as I shut the bottom access door, the pilot light goes out. This seems like it would have something to do with airflow, but I can't find a thing that has changed that would restrict air to that area. I'm flummoxed. It's been working just fine now for about a half hour with that door open. But dollars to donuts, as soon as I shut that door, the pilot will go off within a minute.

Thanks!

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Re: Blodgett 1000 pilot light out when door is shut
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Gas appliance Rule #1: It's almost always the thermocouple.   :)

Seriously, a TC needs to have a hot junction and a cold junction to generate voltage. Leaving the door open may keep the cold end just cool enough that a (failing) TC can keep the gas valve open.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
When the  thermocouplers start to go out the pilot light begins to go out intermit.  I would replace it.  It is an easy fix anyone can do in 10 minutes.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline falsenorth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the insight. My first thought was the TC, but I don't think it's even been a full year yet since I had a new one installed. I adjusted the TC a little closer to the pilot light and that seems to have held for the past few days. It must have just wiggled its way out of position. I'll keep a close eye on it though, just in case this is a symptom of it starting to go bad.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the insight. My first thought was the TC, but I don't think it's even been a full year yet since I had a new one installed. I adjusted the TC a little closer to the pilot light and that seems to have held for the past few days. It must have just wiggled its way out of position. I'll keep a close eye on it though, just in case this is a symptom of it starting to go bad.

Good news.  That could be the fix as I have had the same thing happen.  I keep a couple extra thermocouplers at the shop so when they do go out we do not go out ( of business till we get a new one)  :)
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/