A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracker Style Sauce Discussion  (Read 716 times)

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Cracker Style Sauce Discussion
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
Hey all,

I usually post in some of the other subforums, but growing up in St. Louis, my first love of pizza is the cracker crust. I was hoping we could discuss tomato sauces here and discuss what everyone is doing for this extremely underrated style of pizza. I usually make a lot of NY style pizza so I'm not too sure on what everyone's school of thought is on cracker crust sauces.

Cooked or uncooked?
Paste vs crushed tomatoes?
Herb ratios? Oregano? Dried Basil? Do you use other herbs?

The pizza I remember growing up on was most likely paste based, well sweetened, and herb-rich - oregano, basil, possibly marjoram? Maybe a touch of thyme? It's been a long time since I ate a pizza in the midwest (I now live in California)

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: Cracker Style Sauce Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
I have been using the same sauce over and over now, Ryan's Tommy's clone sauce, and I love it! 1 can Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes, 1 t salt and 2 t crushed oregano (I grow my own and dry it, so I omit his suggestion of basil). I mix it up and let the flavors meld at least overnight. I have freezed it also and it came out perfect.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
I have been using the same sauce over and over now, Ryan's Tommy's clone sauce, and I love it! 1 can Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes, 1 t salt and 2 t crushed oregano (I grow my own and dry it, so I omit his suggestion of basil). I mix it up and let the flavors meld at least overnight. I have freezed it also and it came out perfect.

Thanks Meg!

Here in Cali, I can certainly appreciate you taking the effort to grow your own!!  ;)

I know many use paste but I have a hard time getting past some of the off flavors. One thing I've tried and had pretty good luck with is making my own paste by cooking down canned tomatoes. It tastes much less tinny and bitter than retail tomato paste.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Cooked or uncooked?
Paste vs crushed tomatoes?
Herb ratios? Oregano? Dried Basil? Do you use other herbs?

The pizza I remember growing up on was most likely paste based, well sweetened, and herb-rich - oregano, basil, possibly marjoram? Maybe a touch of thyme? It's been a long time since I ate a pizza in the midwest (I now live in California)

Uncooked.
Paste.
Definite herbs.

My go-to is Garvey's Chicago thin style crust Pizza Factory sauce recipe:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171274#msg171274

If I am in a hurry, I use tomato paste with a combination of Penzey's pizza seasoning
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/pizza-seasoning/c-24/p-463/pd-s
and their sandwich sprinkle
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/sandwich-sprinkle/c-24/p-594/pd-s
 1:1, with some added fennel seed and water.  Amounts vary depending on how much I am making and how my taste buds are that day, but generally it is one 6 oz can of tomato paste, 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of each Penzey's seasoning, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of fennel seed, and ~1/2 cup water.

Since you're in Cali, have you been to a Round Table Pizza? Some locations are better than others, but generally it is a very good take on the old classic cracker-style pizza with pretty good toppings. It reminds me a lot of what I remember growing up as a kid in Illinois and Wisconsin.

-ME

Let them eat pizza.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Uncooked.
Paste.
Definite herbs.

My go-to is Garvey's Chicago thin style crust Pizza Factory sauce recipe:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.msg171274#msg171274

If I am in a hurry, I use tomato paste with a combination of Penzey's pizza seasoning
 1:1, with some added fennel seed and water.  Amounts vary depending on how much I am making and how my taste buds are that day, but generally it is one 6 oz can of tomato paste, 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of each Penzey's seasoning, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of fennel seed, and ~1/2 cup water.

Since you're in Cali, have you been to a Round Table Pizza? Some locations are better than others, but generally it is a very good take on the old classic cracker-style pizza with pretty good toppings. It reminds me a lot of what I remember growing up as a kid in Illinois and Wisconsin.

-ME

Thanks!

Yes, we have Round Table, Shakey's, and Straw Hat here. There used to be a really good Round Table nearby but they closed about a year ago.  :'(

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
I use CIRIO Italian Crushed tomatoes with Basil.   13.76 oz box for 2, 14" pizzas.      I add 2 teaspoons of dried Oregano, 1.5 teaspoons of dried Basil,  and then sprinkle in some garlic powder and onion powder.    I prefer a more spicy saucy and not as strong of a tomato taste.

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
I use CIRIO Italian Crushed tomatoes with Basil.   13.76 oz box for 2, 14" pizzas.      I add 2 teaspoons of dried Oregano, 1.5 teaspoons of dried Basil,  and then sprinkle in some garlic powder and onion powder.    I prefer a more spicy saucy and not as strong of a tomato taste.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
My favorite so far has been Cento Italian tomatoes, hand crushed, excess liquid (and sauce) removed, then worked over with a stick blender.  Add 1/16 teaspoon each of salt, sugar, and oregano + 1 TSP of double strength tomato paste.  Uncooked.

Offline JoeDSM

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
I am a big fan of dei fratelli tomato products which I actually discovered independently of these forums so when I found out a lot of people on here agree with me it was kind of cool.  So needless to say, most of my sauces for pasta and pizza involve their canned goods.  For pizza though, I find that their canned "pizza sauce" is pretty good so I use it almost exclusively.  If I am trying to go for something more specific I will go through the effort of making my own on rare occasions.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
I used Contadina "Tomato Paste with Italian Seasoning" for this sauce, honestly made a pretty good no fuss cracker!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »
I recenty went nack to a good old standby. Hadn't used Pastorelli pizza sauce in many years and seen it at Wellmart for  a buck per 15oz can. We both found it very good and a VERY bright tomato flavor to it. Great for cracker and Chicago thins.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:04 AM »
Also, Garvey's is a no brainer!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »

-ME

Avoid the Penzey's pizza seasoning like the plague.

wordpress