A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style Pizza  (Read 125 times)

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit Style Pizza
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
Is it basically a mix of Sicilian and Grandma-style pizza?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Detroit Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »
No. It's a lot more than that. The dough is similar but different. The cheese goes to the edge and forms a crispy cheese crust. Small pans for a higher crust ratio (the best part!) Often the sauce is applied post bake. Often pepperoni under the cheese with additional topping above. Other differences too. Lots of good DS threads here for you to study.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
Yeah, I did some reading about it.  I'll definitely have to try the cheesy crust.  Toppings inside sound like a great idea.  Sauce on top (to prevent the cheese from burning) sounds great.

Just to be clear are you saying that no sauce is applied until post-bake, or that there is a bottom layer of sauce, cheese and then a post-bake sauce?

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »
Cheese goes directly on the dough. Sauce on top is not to prevent the cheese from burning, just a tradition.

Some places here, like the original Buddy's put uncooked sauce on before baking. Some put cooked sauce on post bake.
Hans

wordpress