A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC upside down Sicilian  (Read 1519 times)

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NYC upside down Sicilian
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this and the pics.  The NY recipe here is noticeably different from mine - I want to give that one a try as well.

I am also really trying to think of how I could use up the bulk of a can of 7/11s, as your pics really make me want to try it but I don't have a ton of storage space currently.  But it looks sooooooo yummy!
Thank you! The 7/11 freeze remarkably well. Itís like 3 of the regular 24oz cans for size reference.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 10:30:27 AM »
Thank you! The 7/11 freeze remarkably well. Itís like 3 of the regular 24oz cans for size reference.
When you thaw the frozen sauce, is it very watery?

Also, how much oil do you use to oil your pan?

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
When you thaw the frozen sauce, is it very watery?

Also, how much oil do you use to oil your pan?
It comes out just like it does out of the can. Not watery. I use just enough oil to put a thin layer down with a paper towel.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »
It comes out just like it does out of the can. Not watery.
Good to hear.  Interesting you say that because I usually read that thawing frozen sauce causes the sauce to become watery.

Quote from:
I use just enough oil to put a thin layer down with a paper towel.
So you apply the oil with a paper towel..... meaning you don't have any flowing oil in your pan, right? (ie: tilting the oiled pan to one side won't result in a build-up of the oil on that side).  If that's the case, what is the consistency of your undercrust: soft, crispy, crunchy?  (there is a difference between crispy and crunchy)

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 10:52:15 AM »
Good to hear.  Interesting you say that because I usually read that thawing frozen sauce causes the sauce to become watery.

So you apply the oil with a paper towel..... meaning you don't have any flowing oil in your pan, right? (ie: tilting the oiled pan to one side won't result in a build-up of the oil on that side).  If that's the case, what is the consistency of your undercrust: soft, crispy, crunchy?  (there is a difference between crispy and crunchy)
7/11 is known to thaw extremely well. You wouldnt know which is which if thawed and out of the can are next to each other. And yes, about the oil. Just so it doesnt stick, not for frying purposes as the all trumps bromated flour takes care of the crunchy crust. And yes, itís crunchy if the pan is hot enough 

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
Maybe my slices are wayyy to thick
Off topic:  I'm quoting this post of mine from this thread to point out the irony of the grammatical mistake when taken in to consideration with my sig  =/

:-D :-D

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 04:31:48 AM »
Oh itís fantastic lol. I make this once or twice per month. Itís not as spongy as the focaccia style Sicilians but this is to mimic the Pizzerias here that make it more dense. The top is chewy and the bottom is crunchy. Love it!

I tried this recipe this weekend, mainly due to how great your pizza looked in your photos. I'm also not a fan of spongy Sicilians. I followed the recipe exactly that you linked from the GM website and used ATBB flour with a 48 hour cold ferment. It was good but I thought the crust was a little too dense and dry for my taste. I was a bit concerned when I saw it was only 53% hydration. I also thought 1.5% salt was a bit low as well. The bottom did get nice and crispy in my Paderno blue steel pan I use for Sicilian and Al Taglio.

If I ever try it again I'd push the hydration level up at least 10% for starters and salt level to 2.5%.

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »
I tried this recipe this weekend, mainly due to how great your pizza looked in your photos. I'm also not a fan of spongy Sicilians. I followed the recipe exactly that you linked from the GM website and used ATBB flour with a 48 hour cold ferment. It was good but I thought the crust was a little too dense and dry for my taste. I was a bit concerned when I saw it was only 53% hydration. I also thought 1.5% salt was a bit low as well. The bottom did get nice and crispy in my Paderno blue steel pan I use for Sicilian and Al Taglio.

If I ever try it again I'd push the hydration level up at least 10% for starters and salt level to 2.5%.

I donít blame you. That could be because the flour that their pan recipe calls for is Full Strength and not All Trumps. I agree with you about the 53% here and will try 60% next time.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
I donít blame you. That could be because the flour that their pan recipe calls for is Full Strength and not All Trumps. I agree with you about the 53% here and will try 60% next time.

Just curious if there have been any attempts here lately?  I have been doing a lot of round NYs lately, and I feel a Sicilian bake coming on.  Now that I am thinking about it more, I noticed the 53% and thought that seemed low.  Indeed I was right, it seems like this is typically around 70% in other recipes I have.

I had been doing the NY style with higher hydration, but tried it over the weekend at the 56% they call for.  It came out with too dense of a crumb for my taste, which could have been anything since I changed many variables (I did a mix of All Trumps and 00 flour, cooked in a friend's backyard brick oven for the first time, the dough probably sat out more than it needed to and so on).  So noting the comment above about the pan recipe being too bready perked my ears up.

FWIW - thanks again for posting that pdf.  I found that the NY style with 58% hydration was basically on target for what I like to, but with only a 24 hr ferment vs. the 72hr ferments I had typically been doing.  Now that I think about it - it would be interesting to try a 3 day dough vs a 1 day dough, just changing the yeast % but I digress. I really just wanted to hear about the Sicilians.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Just curious if there have been any attempts here lately?  I have been doing a lot of round NYs lately, and I feel a Sicilian bake coming on.  Now that I am thinking about it more, I noticed the 53% and thought that seemed low.  Indeed I was right, it seems like this is typically around 70% in other recipes I have.

I had been doing the NY style with higher hydration, but tried it over the weekend at the 56% they call for.  It came out with too dense of a crumb for my taste, which could have been anything since I changed many variables (I did a mix of All Trumps and 00 flour, cooked in a friend's backyard brick oven for the first time, the dough probably sat out more than it needed to and so on).  So noting the comment above about the pan recipe being too bready perked my ears up.

FWIW - thanks again for posting that pdf.  I found that the NY style with 58% hydration was basically on target for what I like to, but with only a 24 hr ferment vs. the 72hr ferments I had typically been doing.  Now that I think about it - it would be interesting to try a 3 day dough vs a 1 day dough, just changing the yeast % but I digress. I really just wanted to hear about the Sicilians.

This was 60% hydration and 2.5% salt. 3% olive oil. ATBB. 2 hour dough.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
This was 60% hydration and 2.5% salt. 3% olive oil. ATBB. 2 hour dough.

So how did raising the hydration from 53% to 60% work out? Was it enough?

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 05:28:26 AM »
So how did raising the hydration from 53% to 60% work out? Was it enough?
For me, itís perfect.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 07:15:01 AM »
For me, itís perfect.

Other than upping the hydration, you did the GM pan pizza recipe as-is? 
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline mathematics28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 07:55:27 AM »
Other than upping the hydration, you did the GM pan pizza recipe as-is?
Pretty much

Offline bronxtrader

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2021, 10:16:47 AM »
Solid. Real Solid. Have you tried a higher hydration, like 70%

wordpress