A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator  (Read 50465 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
« Reply #600 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
Jon,

You may want to smoke before SV. Cooked meat may not be able to take on as much smoke flavor as raw.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #601 on: December 06, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
Jon,

You may want to smoke before SV. Cooked meat may not be able to take on as much smoke flavor as raw.

I've read both ways and was having some of the same thoughts, and I do have 2 chunks soooooo, maybe try both?? What do you think?!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
I've read both ways and was having some of the same thoughts, and I do have 2 chunks soooooo, maybe try both?? What do you think?!

I think - yes. Can't say I have ever tried A/B both ways.

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #603 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
Bought a 6.75 pound corned beef flat today and will be doing a little different twist. Did a rinse and soak, dried wrapped in a bath towel, then included pickling spice in the pastrami rub. Did a lite, medium coating on the split meat and vac packed to sit overnite. Will then sous vide, ice bath to cool completely then another lite rub if needed and smoke to finish. My daughter brought me a half pastrami sandwich the other day from The Hickory House located at HyVee and haven't gotten the taste out of my head for a week. Honestly, some of the best pastrami I have had, REALLY, REALLY GOOD!!!
Triggers huh? Yours looks great so far!
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #604 on: December 06, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
I'll post the results
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #605 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
I'll post the results

Great. BTW, I've been doing the marinate or cure/smoke/SV thing a lot lately with pork butts. For the smoking phase, I go around 300F just until the interior hits the target SV temp, ~140F. Then 140F in the SV until tender, 12-24 hours. Seems logical to match the smoker target to the SV target, but really haven't tried other combinations.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #606 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
I just put 1 chunk in the bath at 180° as suggested in serious eats. He says for 10 hours, I'll go about 8 hours, cool and then into the smoker tomorrow with the raw one. The pre-SV one will smoke til done then pull the other around 140-150° and finish in the SV as you describe then put that one back into the pit to finish off the bark.  I think we have a game plan :drool: :drool:
Jon

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #607 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
Great. BTW, I've been doing the marinate or cure/smoke/SV thing a lot lately with pork butts. For the smoking phase, I go around 300F just until the interior hits the target SV temp, ~140F. Then 140F in the SV until tender, 12-24 hours. Seems logical to match the smoker target to the SV target, but really haven't tried other combinations.

How is the bark after SV? Do you do anything after it hits your desired temp in SV? Thanks.
Hans

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #608 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
How is the bark after SV? Do you do anything after it hits your desired temp in SV? Thanks.

It gets a bark in the smoker before SV. After SV, I hit with the Searsall to crisp it up. In the case of tacos al pastor, I put it on the rotisserie.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #609 on: December 07, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
It gets a bark in the smoker before SV. After SV, I hit with the Searsall to crisp it up. In the case of tacos al pastor, I put it on the rotisserie.

Sounds good, I'll have to try that!
Hans

Online bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #610 on: December 07, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »
What benefit does SV provide for pastrami?  I typically smoke it to 150F, then steam till tender.
Bob

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
What benefit does SV provide for pastrami?  I typically smoke it to 150F, then steam till tender.

I do this when I don't have time to do the full cure/smoking treatment. It makes for very good eats, but isn't as good as the traditional way. An old deliman back in the 80's told me that the steaming thing is a recent innovation. He told me his pastramis were smoked all the way until tender. For service, they would be gently heated and held beef broth. When you ordered your sandwich, he would pull the pastrami out of the broth, slice of the needed amount, and put it back in the broth. That's how I've been doing it since then.

It has been my experience that something special happens to the meat when you do it completely in the smoker. The meat shrinks considerably resulting in a special, concentrated meaty flavor. Water is lost, but juiciness from the breakdown of the collagen gives an unmatched unctuousness. The window for this between tough and dry can be small depending on the amount and kinds of connective tissues in the meat.  This shrinkage is the enemy of commercial processors that sell by weight. That is why they often turn to steaming and pumping pastrami and corned beef and hams with saline and other amendments to shorten processing time, increase yield, etc.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #612 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
The one that was SV first at 180° just reached 195° IT and is now wrapped in plastic in the fridge. The pne that went intp the pit raw is at 118° IT and will go awhile yet. Resisted cutting or tasting yet. The broth that came out of the SV bag this morning is BEGGING for some cabbage and carrots!!!!!!! :drool:
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #613 on: December 07, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
The chunk that started in the smoker hit 148-150° is now in the SV. Hopefully will pull sometime tonite and compare!
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #614 on: December 07, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Sliced into the first one, very good. Second one still in the SV. Making some caramelized onions and sauerkraut with some of the pastrami broth to deglaze for a pastrami reuben tonite!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:07:41 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #615 on: December 07, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
Sliced into the first one, very good. Second one still in the SV. Making some caramelized onions and sauerkraut with some of the pastrami broth to deglaze for a pastrami reuben tonite!
That is under 24 hrs from when you began? Looks tasty.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #616 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
First one, 8 hours at 180° SV then 4 hours at 260° in the smoker, pulled at 195° IT. 2nd one almost 6 hours in the smoker, now at 180° in the SV for almost 4 hours, still a little ways to go. Thinking will be done in 3more hours or so. Total time for both should be about 12 hours each there abouts!
Jon

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
Re: Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator Smoke before or after.
« Reply #617 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
I have done a fair amount of experimenting with st. louis style ribs and SV and smoking.  While it is a pain, I find the best results are a short smoke first at around 150 or so for and hour to an hour and a half.  Then into the SV, at 8 hours, I cut open a corner of  the bags and drain out the liquids and the air, since the ribs shrink quite a bit, it leaves a lot of air in the bags, causes them to float, and even gives a funky look to the meat that is inside the bag but not covered by the liquid, reseal the bag, then finish SV  till done,  then back into the smoker for an hour or two around 150.   I found that if I just smoked at the beginning, some of that smoke flavor seemed to get drawn out with the moisture that comes out of the ribs while cooking.  If I smoked just at the end, they don't seem to take as much smoke flavor.

While I love my smoked, SV, smoked, then hit the grill with some sauce ribs and they are very meaty and moist, sometimes I do the just smoker, no peek, no wrap and no SV, and  I agree with Bill that  the meat shrinks considerably resulting in a special, concentrated meaty flavor. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: December 08, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Tacos, Pork with chipotle/tomatillo salsa

marinated, smoked, SV, crisped

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #619 on: December 08, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Final results in the last pic.....pretty much a wash, very small difference in texture if I'm being picky but if I was blindfolded, both came out equally good. The one on the left was SV first, the right smoked first. Last nites sandwich was awesome!!! Wild rice onion bread.......
Jon