A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone  (Read 5422 times)

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
Re: BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
A pizza sombrero if you will! I was laughing because of course...I've been there.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Just catching up in this thread, a lot of nice work in here Bob! Have you settled in on a go-to sauce yet? It's the hardest part of the pizza process for me.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
Thanks - I struggle with the sauce as well and am still working on it.  I'd like to come up with something that is both rich and complex, but without adding excessive oil/fat.  I've been playing around with roasting onions separately, then letting them marinate in my tomato sauce for several days.  Definitely a work in progress....

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
11/5 Dough

410 g Flour (90% bread flour, 10% semolina)
184 g Water (45%)
6 g IDY
6 g Salt
25 g Crisco (6%)
8 g Low diastatic malt powder
4 g Dry milk powder
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder
1/16 teaspoon onion powder

Dough Prep
6 Hour RT Ferment, dough balls stored in fridge for 3.5 days.  Well docked.

Sauce
Cento crushed tomatoes, roasted onion, 2 TBSP vodka, .5 tsp bacon grease,  oregano, , salt, sugar.

Cheese
Carfagna's Smoked Provolone, Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend, Trader Joe's 4 cheese blend, grated romano

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 6-7 minute bake dressed @ 530.

Results
I was excited to find smoked provolone behind the deli counter at Carfagna's, the Italian grocery where I usually buy my pepperoni.  I also tried simmering my regular sauce with vodka and bacon grease, inspired from an article I found on Allrecipies:

http://dish.allrecipes.com/why-is-vodka-tomato-sauce-so-dang-good/

The first pizza was just pep, all provolone.  The cheese seemed pretty oily when melted and the added smoke flavor didn't wow me.

The second pizza was pep, onion, banana peppers, extra sauce + all of the cheeses mentioned above.  I liked this cheese combination more - simply for how it melted (less oily).

The sauce was just ok.  I don't think the vodka or bacon grease added anything meaningful.  The roasted onion was good, but the sauce still needs more punch.

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Bob, You have really improved a lot, your pies are looking great! Your experiments are fun to follow along with. It seems like I should have tired the smoked provolone from Carfagna's at some point but I have no memory of it for some reason. I went back through my notes and there is no mention of it, so I'll get some on my next trip up to Cbus. Thanks for your write-ups.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:39:26 PM by 333meg »
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear that the smoked provolone didn't work out.  The one I use loses all of the smoked flavor once cooked and it is only slightly more greasy than unsmoked.

I'll share how I make my sauce in case you would like to try it.   I like my sauce with more spices then what I normally see suggested.

I use the 13.76 oz Cirio Italian crushed tomatos with Basil - they come in a box.  These were highly rated by Cook's Illustrated magazine.
I add 2 tsp of oregano and 1.5 tsp of basil, and then add a heavy sprinkling of onion powder and a light sprinkling of garlic powder.   I also sometimes add some dried red pepper flakes.

Another thing I do which I really like is sprinkle over top of the finished, uncooked pizza the Pizza Seasoning made my King Arthur.   It lists onion, garlic, spices, and salt as the ingredients.   (spices seem to include basil, oregano, some red pepper)

Having those spices on top when you bite into the pizza adds some extra zing and flavor in my opinion.

Enjoy following you and your journey, thanks for sharing and best wishes.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
Thanks Meg!  My last Carfagna's visit was the first time I found the smoked prov. behind the deli counter (i.e. they would slice it for me).  I like the flavor  and have been eating it by the slice, however the subtle flavor benefit was overshadowed by it's oiliness in melted form.  I'm curious to hear your opinion of it if you ever come across it.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Ted - I'm always open to suggestion and will happily try out your sauce.  I was *this* close to buying a jar of Carfagna's pizza sauce, but decided it's much more fun to experiment on my own (and with the help of others).  Thanks again!

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »
I've been slacking on the pizza making front lately, however my lovely wife signed us up for a couple of pizza related activities around Columbus.

1.  Pizza School
There's a place in North Columbus that hosts Chef led cooking classes, including pizza.
https://savoir-cooking.com

Chef Mike guided our class through making pizza from start to finish.  While I like to think I've gotten pretty good at slinging pies, watching a trained professional first-hand reminds me that I am not one of those.  ;)  The pizza was good (yes - mine was the ugly one) and I picked up some good tips on hand kneading and sauce making.  Highly recommend for those near Columbus.  We plan to return for more classes.

2.  Pizza and Beer Tour
https://columbusbrewadventures.com/pitchers-pizza-tour/

I had no idea such a thing existed here.  The tour stopped at four different bars/pizza joints (Meister's, Iacono's, Mikey's Late night slice, Hound Dog's) and filled us with pizza and Ohio made beer. Our tour guide provided history of both the brewery and the pizza at each stop.  I was absolutely stuffed by the end of the tour.   I should also note that I was shocked at the difference between Iacono's and Tommy's.  Tommy's is still #1 in my book.

3. Tommy's - extra sauce
I had the bright idea to order a pizza with extra sauce to help get a better sense of which direction to take my own.  In short - their sauce is somewhat bitter from an abundance of garlic powder, little to no fat, oregano, and (maybe) a hint of something spicy.  For the record, I prefer their pizza without the extra sauce, but it was a worthwhile exercise.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:29:44 PM by bobgraff »

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
11/25 Dough

410 g Bread Flour
188 g Water (46%)
6 g IDY
6 g Salt
25 g Crisco (6%)
4 g Low diastatic malt powder
2 g Sugar

Dough Prep
10 Hour RT Ferment, dough balls stored in fridge for 2.5 days.  Warmed up on the counter for 30-60 minutes.

Sauce
Cento Italian tomatoes (28 oz), 1/2 TBSP butter, 1 tsp oregano, 3/16 tsp garlic powder, 1/16 tsp white pepper, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar.

Cheese
Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend, grated romano

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 7 minute bake dressed @ 530.

Results
These were very good.  I managed to get 3 pizzas out of my normal 2 pizza dough recipe.  Nice and crispy...

The sauce was definitely a step up from my previous versions. The healthy dose of garlic powder in the sauce made a world of difference.  Even my kids approved.  :chef:

Offline tedcholl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
Really nice looking pizzas Bob.   And it's always a great thing when you get compliments from the family.   
One thing I have had good success with is to precook both my onions and mushrooms (or any veggies) in a skillet with some oil before adding them to the pizza - it adds alot of flavor to both.    Before I did this I found that the veggies tended to be dried out and not very tasty.   You may have already done this but if not I'd recommend you give it a try.

Cheers!

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
11/29 Dough

410 g Bread Flour
188 g Water (46%)
6 g IDY
6 g Salt
25 g Crisco (6%)
2 g Low diastatic malt powder
3 g Sugar

Dough Prep
10 Hour RT Ferment, dough balls stored in fridge for 2.5 days.  Warmed up on the counter for 60 minutes.  Skins stored in the fridge for 4 hours.

Sauce
Cento tomato puree (28 oz), 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp red wine, 1.5 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/16 tsp white pepper, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar, pinch of red pepper.

Cheese
Pizza 1:  Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend, grated parmesan.
Pizza 2: Fresh mozzarella 

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 5-7 minute bake dressed @ 530.

Results
The significant change with this batch is that I divided it into 6 100g dough balls instead of 4 150g ones.  The slight increase in effort resulted in two extra dough balls, which are now resting comfortably in my freezer.  The pizzas were unsurprisingly ultra thin, maybe too much so.  Lots of blisters on the underskirt due to the 4 hours in the fridge.  While I appreciate the extra downtime between rolling and baking, I don't believe the blisters make a better pizza (in my humble opinion).

On the sauce front:  still chasing the ever-elusive perfect sauce.  This time I used 28oz of Cento tomato puree, which ends up being much more tomato product than 28oz can of whole tomatoes due to the lack of juice that I normally discard. The extra tomato threw off my intended spice/herb mix, which created somewhat of a mad scientist situation (more garlic, more oregano, red pepper? red wine? ...).

I should also note that I sautéed the mushrooms and onions, per Ted's suggestion.  I thought the mushrooms were better this way, but the onions were too muted.  I might add the onions to the pan later in the process next time.

I'm of course being hyper critical about these pizzas.  They were both really good.  It's definitely becoming more difficult to improve on them (except for the sauce - lots of room for improvement there.... see, there I go again!).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:37:13 AM by bobgraff »

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
11/29 Dough

Dough Prep
10 Hour RT Ferment, dough ball in fridge for 2.5 days + freezer for 5 days + fridge 1 day  Warmed up on the counter for 30 minutes.

Sauce
Cento Italian tomatoes (28 oz), 1/2 TBSP butter, 1 tsp oregano, 3/16 tsp garlic powder, 1/16 tsp white pepper, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar.

Cheese
60% Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend / 40% Sui Raclette

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 5-7 minute bake dressed @ 530.

Results
This pizza was made from the extra dough balls I put in the freezer last weekend.  Other than needing to re-adjust my oven temp/time, this one turned out excellent.  The "Sui Raclette" was a discounted hunk of soft white cheese I found in the highfalutin cheese counter at Kroger.  I fear that I have opened Pandora's box of high-end cheese.  It could be described as "melty gooey goodness". 

Offline bobgraff

BobGraff's Attempt at Aimless Ryan's Tommy's Pizza Clone
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
12/10 Dough

410 g Bread Flour
188 g Water (46%)
6 g IDY
6 g Salt
25 g Crisco (6%)
4 g Sugar

Dough Prep
8 Hour RT Ferment, dough balls stored in fridge for 3.5 days.

Sauce
Stanislaus 7/11 Tomatos, 1 tsp butter, .5 tsp Penzy's Tuscan Sunset (Italian blend), 1/2 clove minced fresh garlic, pinch of salt.

Cheese
Primo Gusto LMPS Mozz/Provo Blend, grated Raclette.

The Bake
5 min par bake with sauce + 6.5 minute bake dressed @ 520.

Results
My malt had bugs in it.  There - I've said it.  Said malt is now on the way to the landfill.  Not sure how those little suckers got in there, but I'm quite disappointed.  Next order is going straight in the freezer!  >:(

These pizzas are malt free (surprise).  I baked them at a slightly lower temp to reduce the amount of "hot spots".  The crust came out respectably crispy, but not as flaky some others.

I finally tried Stanislaus tomatoes and I gotta say I am hooked.  We used the bulk of a 6 lb can on pasta sauce (which was delicious) and used the remainder for these pizzas.  I added fresh garlic, which was good but perhaps overshadowed the tomatoes.

The second pizza was my take on a Philly Cheesesteak pizza.  Needed mayo... or whiz... or something.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:38:04 PM by bobgraff »