A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How many pizzas per day does a standard pizzeria sell  (Read 3209 times)

Offline hotsawce

Re: How many pizzas per day does a standard pizzeria sell
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »
Given the per guest check average you produced (not unreasonable) I find your numbers to be pretty accurate. And Iíve actually owned and run a pizzeria in NYC. Iíve had access to the books of other successful pizzerias that werenít my own as well. Iím not sure your critics on here can say the same.

I think your per-guest check average is low, but definitely not out of line. Your guest average would jump a bit with booze. Your projection is actually very similar to the first couple of years in business for a very well known pizzeria in Brooklyn. Revenue just north of one mil profit margin was around 20%.

Much is dependent on how you run the business and where the costs are. Iíve seen some ridiculously low food costs and labor costs simply based on how the business was structured. Iíve found rent to not even be a factor of everything else is run properly. Youíre missing a lot of costs that eat into your 500k number posted. Your after tax profit in that scenario, for your slightly upscale Brooklyn pizzeria, is closer to 200k. Iíve seen much higher profit margins (in other states) at 33%....

to: pizza gurus (foreplease) and (NewYork)

while (foreplease) say my post is "dangerous" and (NewYork) said the numbers I posted are not realistic "across the board"
you both didn't mention any number of your pizza business or what your "correct" numbers are

specifically tell us:

1. how much do you pay each employee and how many do you have on each location
2. How much do you pay in rent per/SF and how many tables do you have per location
3. what are your pizza prices, soda prices, etc. list prices and wholesale
4. how many customers do you have average each day of the week

and we will go from there

______

in Manhattan:

1. you can buy a pie from 2BROS for $8 and other places sell it for $23

2. Minimum wage is $10.5/hour going up to $12 by the end of 2017
A full time employee 8 hours/day - 6 days a week will cost you $24k year. With insurance, vacation, state fees etc = $30k/year.

3. Food has pretty much the same cost anywhere in the USA

4. Rent vary but you will not find (even a small 600sf place that is vented) for less then $10k/month and
you need to be really lucky to find it at this price.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:37:45 PM by hotsawce »

Offline RPCLady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Walter, I'm talking winter average... and for just a small family run place, which keeps a roof over our heads -- yes its a great deal. BUT, the hours of doing nothing gets us a bit crazy. I keep hoping to develop some sort of side business that I can work on during the down times.   

Tourist season, we average between 20 to 35 a day (our dough recipe we make covers up to 35 which we portion out 12 L, 10 M and 13 S and keep in our fridge)  keep in mind these are averages, Tues - Thur are usually slower,  and so we can end up with dough from the previous day plus a new round holding in our fridge so on a Fri or Sat we can do 50, but thats in our peak Summer months only.  Typically in the summer we make dough every day, but in the winter it ends up being only twice a week.

small rural town (pop ~900), with less than 6,000 people in the entire county!

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
Walter, I'm talking winter average... and for just a small family run place, which keeps a roof over our heads -- yes its a great deal. BUT, the hours of doing nothing gets us a bit crazy. I keep hoping to develop some sort of side business that I can work on during the down times.   

Tourist season, we average between 20 to 35 a day (our dough recipe we make covers up to 35 which we portion out 12 L, 10 M and 13 S and keep in our fridge)  keep in mind these are averages, Tues - Thur are usually slower,  and so we can end up with dough from the previous day plus a new round holding in our fridge so on a Fri or Sat we can do 50, but thats in our peak Summer months only.  Typically in the summer we make dough every day, but in the winter it ends up being only twice a week.

small rural town (pop ~900), with less than 6,000 people in the entire county!

That is a nice pace to have.  Joe Beddia who Bon Appetit called the best pizza in America does only 40 pies a day in Philly PA.  We are a small shop as well and get by quite ok here in Reno with nothing but pizza as our main, calzone, salads and a small # of pies per day.  If you make good pie, price it right, and have the right set up with space/rent/labor things work out nice.  I could never do a big city pizzeria where volume is the norm to pay for this stuff. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:46:32 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
It all depends on other things we sell 15 to 25 Pizzas but my boss kills it with ....Bolis ...Calzones.    Philly cheesesteaks Cheeseburgers Double cheeseburgers salads they sell like 12 214 Philly cheesesteaks going out the door like crazy  We had 50 some odd deliveries Saturday night she worked a double shift because somebody's car broke down it was insane the burgers and sandwiches salads wings wings are really popular where we work they go out and 9 12 18 wings.  We sell tons of chicken tenders in a shift so..... not true if you're selling less than 50 pizzas a day you will go under .....my boss has been doing this 12 years I have been working there for 4 to 5 years

Offline RPCLady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
We used to do 3 types of sandwiches, a cheesesteak, a meatball and an Italian Sub, but we cut them out of our menu and replaced it with a Grinder only where the customer picks the toppings just like they do for Pizza.  We only do Pizza, Calzones, Grinders Salads and breadsticks -- to keep it basic. And  98% of what we sell is pizza.  Our observations in this tiny town is keep to our prime directive, sell pizza...  not try to compete with anyone else.... since of the 5 other restaurants in town all sell burgers and fries!  Crazy!   And pretty close to 98% of all of our business is take-out, although we do have seating for 20 indoors and in the Summer can seat another 8 or so outside.  We used to also offer soup and pasta, but again, we're keeping it simple for our 2 - 3 of us working can manage without having to hire additional help.  We have only one part time cook that also does dishes, he typically comes only one day a week sometimes two depending upon how busy things get. In summer he works most days we're open.

5 years ago we used to be in a larger building with a huge back room for parties and meetings.. but that building sold and we chose not to buy it -- it would have put us so deep in debt, we're happy selling enough to keep us in the black and meet our obligations.   I found out the restaurant which bought that building is going to close for January and completely replace that backroom with expanded kitchen -- which I think is a shame..... and oh how the community will complain about that!!!!   

Offline NewYork

• Buon Giorno!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:44:35 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen. I wish to submit the following:

If you are paying $300k in rent with a million in sales means you are not making $500k. In pizzeria's there is a magic number everyone shoots for of 50% in total COGS and Labor. So, if 50% of your $1mm in sales is COGS and labor, and you are paying 30% in rent, you are making a living, but not making $500k (50%) in profit. There are a few costly line items missing from your calculations:

Insurance: business owners policy plus a sizable workers comp policy in NYC
Phones
Delivery driver costs and insurance
Gas
Electric
Water
Grease Trap cleaning
Business Licenses
Accounting fees
Attorney fees
Maintenance on equipment plus unexpected breakages
Breakage/theft by employees
Health insurance
Bonuses for your top people
Business Vehicle, plus insurance on vehicle, gas and supplies/maintenance
Improvements
Nothing in NYC is cheap! My family's business was in 17 Battery Pl for 45 years.

Currently, we have two pizzerias so I am absolutely certain of the above and have been running businesses
 with employees since 1995. Not pontificating or guessing, but trying to warn people from taking a very risky plunge without a realistic view of the actual numbers.

The beauty of business is we all can approach it differently and the word "successful" is very relative.

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »
to: pizza gurus (foreplease) and (NewYork)

while (foreplease) say my post is "dangerous" and (NewYork) said the numbers I posted are not realistic "across the board"
you both didn't mention any number of your pizza business or what your "correct" numbers are

specifically tell us:

1. how much do you pay each employee and how many do you have on each location
2. How much do you pay in rent per/SF and how many tables do you have per location
3. what are your pizza prices, soda prices, etc. list prices and wholesale
4. how many customers do you have average each day of the week

and we will go from there

I just saw this 2 days ago. It seems like between then and now others have weighed in with sensible advice and opinions.

My answer is that I have almost no pizza restaurant experience. I have started and owned several businesses, some successful, some not. Many expenses and problems are common from one business to another, that I know. I have done well enough investing publicly traded companies and local real estate to be able to do the kind of work I love on a day to day basis.

I have seen and been a hands on part seeing a few pizzas made, however. I grew up in a family business that grossed $39 its first day as a take out pizzaria in 1963 and grew into a frozen pizza business that was making 58,000 pizzas a day 5-6 days a week for years. In 1976 there were 4 Fortune 500 companies that wanted it worse than my parents. They sold 80% of it to one of them then and the remianing 20%, by prior agreement, 5 years later.

There is not anyone on this board I would like to see fail. Same for anyone I know personally. There is nobody, except for a couple poeple who sing well, that I envy; nobody I would be presumptuous enough to say to myself  ĎIím so sure I know fully what is going on in their life that I would trade places with them.í In that regard and sppirit, I wish you well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:04:43 PM by foreplease »
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
Youíre missing the point. I donít think anyone here claimed a 50% profit margin. Get real.

Simply saying pizzerias tend to have a much better profit margin, particularly in their current form, than most other restaurants. 20% is not unreasonable and Iíve seen as high as 32%.

Ladies and gentlemen. I wish to submit the following:

If you are paying $300k in rent with a million in sales means you are not making $500k. In pizzeria's there is a magic number everyone shoots for of 50% in total COGS and Labor. So, if 50% of your $1mm in sales is COGS and labor, and you are paying 30% in rent, you are making a living, but not making $500k (50%) in profit. There are a few costly line items missing from your calculations:

Insurance: business owners policy plus a sizable workers comp policy in NYC
Phones
Delivery driver costs and insurance
Gas
Electric
Water
Grease Trap cleaning
Business Licenses
Accounting fees
Attorney fees
Maintenance on equipment plus unexpected breakages
Breakage/theft by employees
Health insurance
Bonuses for your top people
Business Vehicle, plus insurance on vehicle, gas and supplies/maintenance
Improvements
Nothing in NYC is cheap! My family's business was in 17 Battery Pl for 45 years.

Currently, we have two pizzerias so I am absolutely certain of the above and have been running businesses
 with employees since 1995. Not pontificating or guessing, but trying to warn people from taking a very risky plunge without a realistic view of the actual numbers.

The beauty of business is we all can approach it differently and the word "successful" is very relative.

Offline NewYork

• Buon Giorno!
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
Go back to page 1 of this thread and read afox's numbers. It's right there and what I don't understand is how my comments which address afox directly after being called out are now being misdirected again. No one said anything about most pizzerias. My comments are aimed at misinformation that could cause someone to go into business thinking they're gonna have 50% profit based on a scenario painted by a person not running a restaurant. 

You guys have got this. When you would like the thoughts of someone currently running multiple pizzerias, I will be glad to help. PM me directly.

Youíre missing the point. I donít think anyone here claimed a 50% profit margin. Get real.

Simply saying pizzerias tend to have a much better profit margin, particularly in their current form, than most other restaurants. 20% is not unreasonable and Iíve seen as high as 32%.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
You mean multiple, mediocre no-name slice joints? Buddy, I created one of the hottest, most wildly successful, and nationally recognized pizzerias in NYC last year and have been an integral part of many more. I think I know what Iím talking about.

Go back to page 1 of this thread and read afox's numbers. It's right there and what I don't understand is how my comments which address afox directly after being called out are now being misdirected again. No one said anything about most pizzerias. My comments are aimed at misinformation that could cause someone to go into business thinking they're gonna have 50% profit based on a scenario painted by a person not running a restaurant. 

You guys have got this. When you would like the thoughts of someone currently running multiple pizzerias, I will be glad to help. PM me directly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:40:58 PM by hotsawce »

Offline NewYork

• Buon Giorno!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
You're making it personal and it's not. Congratulations btw. See you at the pizza expo.