Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jersey Pie Boy on 05 Dec 2017
  • Thought I should finally  try making a square...  I followed Craig's formula fairly closely, though used 70% HR.  At first glance it may not be obviously that this thing essentially collapsed!  If I like the taste of semi-baked dough it would have been yummy...but i could tell the flavor would have been very good for a same day dough.

What I do like is the puffiness and height  and I'd like to find a way to keep that but still have the dough actually baked. I think at least two things are wrong. Pretty sure i overproofed the dough..I wanted it nice and full (sorry Craig..I was bad)..it looked a lot like Tartine dough. I possibly used too much cheese and sauce, and as the picture shows the dough sunk ..the craters are where the toppings sunk...and that's where dough didn't bake properly.

Does that sound about right?

• #2 by norcoscia on 05 Dec 2017
  • Did you par-bake before adding toppings or add everything before cooking?

Any time I make a think curst I don't add everything - I usually add some sauce but if the dough is really (and I mean really) proofed it can somewhat collapse even with the slightest amount of sauce. I usually par-bake just until the dough sets....

Edit - I forgot to mention - I would eat that all day long even if it is a little collapsed - it looks great!
  • #3 by Yael on 05 Dec 2017
  • Hi Jersey Pie boy,

I do like the coloring of the crust, inside and outside. As Norcoscia says, you have to par-bake with only the sauce, you can even try with nothing.
  • #4 by Jersey Pie Boy on 05 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Norm and Yael ...I didn't use a parbake  but the extra step might be the ticket to get the both the crumb and the melt I want...
Pages:
Actions