A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NEW YORK PIZZA OUTER BOROUGHS VIDEO BY FRANK PINELLO  (Read 1340 times)

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
NEW YORK PIZZA OUTER BOROUGHS VIDEO BY FRANK PINELLO
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:16 PM »

"i just came from the Bronx, I was mixing concrete"

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: NEW YORK PIZZA OUTER BOROUGHS VIDEO BY FRANK PINELLO
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
I like this video alot. I may make a stop at Dani's. I hadn't heard of Action Bronson before, he's entertaining. They succeeded in getting me to watch one of his food shows on their network.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:41:49 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• The legend never dies
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
Action Bronson mainly raps, but his shows are extremely entertaining if you're a foodie.

The pizza's on that video look very good!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:27:04 AM by Minolta Rokkor »

Offline Gags

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
Action Bronson mainly raps, but his shows are extremely entertaining if you're a foodie.

The pizza's on that video look very good!

Agreed regarding Action Bronson's "F*** That's Delicious" show. 
You may not want to watch while the kids are around, though.
Just based on the title, you can tell there's a lot of adult language!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing— this is great!

Online Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
Thanks Harry.

Translations for the video for those not from around here...

Cujeans
Pronounced KOOJEEN. An Italian American girl or boy born and bred in Bensonhurst or Canarsie, Brooklyn or Staten Island. The girls have the big flipped hair, speak with a Brooklyn accent and never do anything outside their neighborhood. It is pretty much the same for the boys except they all have DA's and they all think they're Tony Soprano!

Gindaloon
a bastardization of the word guinea, used to decribe italian males. Means the same as ginzo or guido.

Dadillac
An expensive vehicle bought by parents for their son or daughter.

Scungilli
Any type of large sea snail, like whelks, that’s been cleaned and cut up into smallish pieces and is typically served in antipasto salads or pasta dishes, and is associated with the Feast of the Seven Fishes

I like Staten Island but Im not picking pizza joints very well there. I had a clam pie at The Road House, not my favorite, neither were the pies from Denino's. We need to go to Ralph's for Italian Ice and maybe Goodfella's for a pie.

Who hasn't been to Arthur avenue? We live in New Jersey and even we've been there a few times.

Raw clams. Yum
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:18:18 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
I am full. I just did my share of the damage to a 17-incher. The pizza being slid into the box at :35 made me drool. I'm watching the rest later.

Anyone remember the original?   (caution - not g-rated)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:16:53 PM by rparker »

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
Thanks Harry.

Cujeans
Pronounced KOOJEEN. An Italian American girl or boy born and bred in Bensonhurst or Canarsie, Brooklyn or Staten Island. The girls have the big flipped hair, speak with a Brooklyn accent and never do anything outside their neighborhood. It is pretty much the same for the boys except they all have DA's and they all think they're Tony Soprano!

Gindaloon
a bastardization of the word guinea, used to decribe italian males. Means the same as ginzo or guido.

Dadillac
An expensive vehicle bought by parents for their son or daughter.

Scungilli
Any type of large sea snail, like whelks, that’s been cleaned and cut up into smallish pieces and is typically served in antipasto salads or pasta dishes, and is associated with the Feast of the Seven Fishes

I like Staten Island but Im not picking pizza joints very well there. I had a clam pie at The Road House, not my favorite, neither were the pies from Denino's. We need to go to Ralph's for Italian Ice and maybe Goodfella's for a pie.

Who hasn't been to Arthur avenue? We live in New Jersey and even we've been there a few times.

Raw clams. Yum

Thanks for the slang translation!

Offline Jordanrs1980

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
The pizza being slid into the box at :35 made me drool.

That's from Frank's place, Best Pizza, in Williamsburg.  They make a quality pizza, though I find it to be just a bit too thin.  They make their pies around 20 inches and you can throw down almost the whole thing bc of how thin it tends to be. 

Has anyone checked out L'industrie yet?  Also in Williamsburg.  I have been a few times and they make some seriously good pizza.  Though I'm told it's now under new ownership and I haven't been since it was taken over.  The reviews still seem consistently good, so that is promising.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/l-industrie-pizzeria-brooklyn 

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »
That's from Frank's place, Best Pizza, in Williamsburg.  They make a quality pizza, though I find it to be just a bit too thin.  They make their pies around 20 inches and you can throw down almost the whole thing bc of how thin it tends to be. 

Has anyone checked out L'industrie yet?  Also in Williamsburg.  I have been a few times and they make some seriously good pizza.  Though I'm told it's now under new ownership and I haven't been since it was taken over.  The reviews still seem consistently good, so that is promising.
Any idea on the dough/cheese/sauce weights?

Offline Jordanrs1980

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »

Sorry, that kind of stuff is not in my wheelhouse just yet.  I'm a bit of a novice here.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »

I've always wondered where the pizza during the intro is from. Makes sense that it'd be from Best.

I hadn't heard of the other place you mention, L'industrie. Looking at the pics, it seems like their standard slice has cheese added for the reheat (or mid bake)?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:56:50 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »

Roy,

Have no idea about the dough/cheese/sauce weights at Best Pizza.

There are photo's of Best Pizzas on this thread.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.0

I posted mine at reply 38 and the next posts.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.msg166224#msg166224

Also posted some photo's at Best Pizza on another thread starting at Reply 10 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16573.msg161671#msg161671

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
I've always wondered where the pizza during the intro is from. Makes sense that it'd be from Best.

I hadn't heard of the other place you mention. Looking at the pics, it seems like their standard slice has cheese added for the reheat (or mid bake)?

That looks to be their extra cheese slice.  When someone used to order an extra cheese, they'd take a slice from the counter drop some mozzarella on it and bake in oven for 45 seconds. 

It looks as though Best uses less cheese than it's peers.  But that is good, given his coal oven, and thinner crust.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:53:50 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Thanks Harry.

Cujeans

Gindaloon

just to be clear, in my experience, these are derogatory terms. Calling someone a Gindaloon is an invitation to fight.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:11:49 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Online Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
just to be clear, in my experience, these are derogatory terms. Calling someone a Gindaloon in certain neighborhoods is not going to end well.
Tell that to the guy in the video.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:23:04 PM »
Tell that to the guy in the video.

yeah, two guys that know each other can say that. try walking into a pizza place in bensonhurst and opening with "Hey, Gindaloon, give me a  slice".

also, his friend Vic is guilty of something that drives me crazy, dropping the last vowel off Italian words. Mozzarella becomes "Mozzarell". I'm sure he pronounces prosciutto "Prosciut". Maybe that's the way he heard it around him growing up but to my ear, it sounds like an affectation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:31:59 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »
also, his friend Vic is guilty of something that drives me crazy, dropping the last vowel off Italian words. Mozzarella becomes "Mozzarell". I'm sure he pronounces prosciutto "Prosciut". Maybe that's the way he heard it around him growing up but to my ear, it sounds like an affectation.

Agreed wholeheartedly.  It drives me insane as well...I think they feel like it makes them sound more Italian...On a side note, I remember being in an Enoteca (place that serves fine wines) in Maniago, Italy a bunch of years ago.  This big tour bus of Italian Americans from New Jersey rolls up and they crowd inside to get a glass of wine.  The women started making fun of the way the Italian working in the Enoteca pronounced Merlot (Mer-Lot, which is the correct way when referring to the Italian version...) and complaining that the glasses weren't filled to the rim.  "I would never present a glass of wine like this in my house.  You would think he would know how to pour..."  I was glad he didn't speak English.  I was pretty embarrassed to be an American that afternoon...

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 07:05:26 AM »
That looks to be their extra cheese slice.  When someone used to order an extra cheese, they'd take a slice from the counter drop some mozzarella on it and bake in oven for 45 seconds. 

I've edited my post above to clarify that the slice I was referring to was from L'industrie. I've had extra cheese the way you described it, but what surprised me is that this place has cheese that way on seeeminlgly all of the red slices posted on yelp. Seems they specialize in "fancy" pizza as one yelper described it. The fig and goat cheese one was mentioned alot.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:14:01 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:12:39 AM »

"i just came from the Bronx, I was mixing concrete"

Screenshot of Dani's. These type of pizzas is why I've been increasing my TF/dough weight. (Currently experimenting with 0.0925.) Frank even mentioned in the video that the slice has some weight to it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:34:12 AM by hammettjr »
Matt