A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 39013 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2018, 07:36:40 PM »
Looks like you have two very satisfied customers there!

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »
 ;D :drool: ^^^
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
Hi,  I have been doing Craigs 48 hour dough for several years but now I am  searching for a 12 to 24 hour recipe using IDY for those unanticipated times and yours look very good. What differences in flavor and texture do you perceive between your shorter ferments and the longer ones you are experimenting with?

Dan

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: February 05, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
Thanks for your note. . . I have to say the timing has some influence, Silly but being able to start a dough and not have to set the clock to move to the next step makes a difference for an old guy. Having messed around with amount of time in Bulk and ball when aiming at 24 hour ferment, I decided to try the 48 hour and have been very happy with the dough - it seems more tender and plays nice with my opening stretching skills. I was convinced that autolysis made a big difference, and believe over 24 hours, Autolisis for about 10 hours does make a difference . . .  But when the dough is working for 48 hours, I am not sure that still applies.
I started with Peter Reinhardt dough with 1/4 cup of olive oil, moved to Tony G’s cold ferment with poolish then to Gsans- great fun and some good pizza along the way. For my 24 hour dough, it seems to be .013% IDY for 24 hours here, at about 18° C. The dough seems more stable than the operator . . .  .

Glad to exchange pics and % for any of my pursuits, Sharon, my patient wife says the latest method, and timing seems the best . . . So far.
It is not really about the food!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #424 on: February 07, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
Variables . . . How many can there be?
The collage below is a few of my pizzas and one by Omid from a while back . . . Don’t have to tell you which one is his, right?
I very much like the look of his Pizza, the even colouring, lack of high contrast leoparding but achieving it or coming close seems a great challenge. Variables like dough temperature, amount of time in ball and bulk, oven temp and time of bake all play a part but which or what are the major players? Everyone has a picture in mind of what it should look like as it comes out of the oven, and I know I put more topping on than perhaps I should, but it is the crust colour and evenness that I am trying for.

Perhaps you have theory or suggestions?
Thanks for looking

Offline crawsdaddy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #425 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
Thanks for your note. . . I have to say the timing has some influence, Silly but being able to start a dough and not have to set the clock to move to the next step makes a difference for an old guy. Having messed around with amount of time in Bulk and ball when aiming at 24 hour ferment, I decided to try the 48 hour and have been very happy with the dough - it seems more tender and plays nice with my opening stretching skills. I was convinced that autolysis made a big difference, and believe over 24 hours, Autolisis for about 10 hours does make a difference . . .  But when the dough is working for 48 hours, I am not sure that still applies.
I started with Peter Reinhardt dough with 1/4 cup of olive oil, moved to Tony G’s cold ferment with poolish then to Gsans- great fun and some good pizza along the way. For my 24 hour dough, it seems to be .013% IDY for 24 hours here, at about 18° C. The dough seems more stable than the operator . . .  .

Glad to exchange pics and % for any of my pursuits, Sharon, my patient wife says the latest method, and timing seems the best . . . So far.
It is not really about the food!

I am going to try your 24 hour dough formula to begin more experimentation; I have tried some other 24 hour and 12 hour dough formulas and have not liked the results at all. BTW I think if you try the 48 hour  dough with natural yeast you will be amazed at the flavor--for what ever that is worth.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #426 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »
Oh well, at least they tasted just fine . . . .
You create the dough, wait 2 days for trial by fire, then start planning the next attempt.
Nice dough, extensible, lots of air, too much topping, good meal but . . . Not what I was looking for.
48 hour, 65%, 2.8% salt, .009% IDY - Margherita launched at 518° C, pepperoni w onion launched at 529°C, Mushroom, soptressata, black olive launched at 489° C - each one behaved differently, more than the heat difference would suggest . .  . A very long way from control I fear
Perhaps I should have the Grandkids back . . . .

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: February 10, 2018, 05:21:16 AM »
Nice pizza my friends  ^^^

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #428 on: February 10, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »
Oh well, at least they tasted just fine . . . .
You create the dough, wait 2 days for trial by fire, then start planning the next attempt.

This is the true essence of pizzamaking. If you don't feel this, you're not interested in learning, and you either already make great pizza every time, or you never will.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline amolapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: February 10, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
This is the true essence of pizzamaking. If you don't feel this, you're not interested in learning, and you either already make great pizza every time, or you never will.
True words, and the same goes for the seconds in the oven!

IMO they look excellent, I'm sure you have come a far way from your first pizza! :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:42:47 PM by amolapizza »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #430 on: February 10, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Thank you for your comments, I fear I will always be chasing the rainbow and trying to achieve  a perceived “perfect” Pizza. I enjoy the pursuit and hope my frustration in not learning fast enough does not sound as negative as it may. As I look at others pizzas on this board in admiration it is  “Hey, how did they achieve that?” And away it goes again. My dear wife, I am sure lovingly, refers to me quietly as a “picky bastard”, perhaps there is some truth there.

Thanks again.

Offline pascom

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:11 AM »
You are the champion, I love your pizzas failing to taste them :)

When I'm asked for information on the pizzaparty, I refer to your topic and that of Don Luigi to show.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #432 on: Yesterday at 04:06:46 PM »
Thank you so much Pascom, I love my Pizza Party oven, light the fire, add some wood and about an hour later hope and bake! Good fun!

Speaking of which . . . My oldest son came over with family, so Pizza was served! I keep lowering the amount of IDY to try to match the house temperature, closer this time but still had to move dough to a cooler building. Hydration 64%, salt 2.8%, IDY .009%, 48 hrs, appx 24/24 Bulk/ball. Dough a bit cool as I didn’t get it up to room temp soon enough, was pleased with dough, lots of air but who was in charge of the baking?

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #433 on: Yesterday at 06:27:51 PM »
Great work Greg!! :chef:
Bob

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #434 on: Yesterday at 07:13:44 PM »
I love the even golden brown on that pie.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #435 on: Yesterday at 09:47:34 PM »
Thank you so much Pascom, I love my Pizza Party oven, light the fire, add some wood and about an hour later hope and bake! Good fun!

Speaking of which . . . My oldest son came over with family, so Pizza was served! I keep lowering the amount of IDY to try to match the house temperature, closer this time but still had to move dough to a cooler building. Hydration 64%, salt 2.8%, IDY .009%, 48 hrs, appx 24/24 Bulk/ball. Dough a bit cool as I didn’t get it up to room temp soon enough, was pleased with dough, lots of air but who was in charge of the baking?

Nice work.  Like Craig, I particularly like the fist pie with the more uniform color.  For quite awhile, the pale curst with the black spots seemed to be all the rage.  Which do you prefer?

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #436 on: Yesterday at 10:03:14 PM »
Being able to create my preference would be a grand thing! When I get to that point it will be even light brown colour with very little sign of leoparding, as in the pic of Omid’s pie in a previous posting. There seem to be so many variables, a number not related to the old dude on the end of the peel watching what he thinks is so intently! The pies were bout 5-10 minutes apart and within 15° C at launch but what a difference, somewhere I recall a discussion about White pies always looking paler in the crust . . . . I’ll blame it on that for now!

Thank you, Craig and CaptBob for your interest!