A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Neapolitan Style / Re: Napolitan verace pizza with natural yeast
« Last post by SAUZER.ITALY on Today at 07:01:34 AM »
Hi SAUZER,

I'm noticing you are going higher in hydration - do you think the taste and texture improves because of that? Interesting that the "formal" VPN recipe calls for less than 60% water..

I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Hi Amih  :D, your question is excellent.
Let's start with the disciplinary VPN that, as the recipe of the truth writes, indicates the word "untested" so there are no absolute values.
Example, 3 grams of yeast per kilo of flour is written, but you know that the quantity of leavened varies significantly, as well as the salt doses, in winter as in summer.
In detail, I increased my hydration for a seplice done.
The Mulino Marino flour is ground to stone, the granulometry as 00 flour is very suitable to absorb larger quantities of water.
To understand. With the flour Caputo Pizzeria 00 I get my dough with 67% of hydration. With the Mulino Marino 00 flour I get the same dough with 70% simply because it absorbs more water.
The difference on the high hydrations makes the cooking ... that's the important part. :pizza:
Focaccia Style / Re: Pizza alla romana in teglia
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 05:50:46 AM »
I don't know that much went wrong with the bake itself, the result was more than enjoyable :)

That said, I think I used too much yeast for the time and temperature planned, so had to bake earlier than planned.  Since I haven't really used the fridge before for dough, I underestimated the volume change and ended up having to change my containers for bigger bowls, and still they were almost running over when I removed them from the fridge.

The work of flattening the dough can also use some improvement, next time I'll make a point of working the borders more in an effort to produce a more even distribution of dough and borders more or less at the same height as the middle.

Also I'll be aiming for more and bigger holes in the crust, probably a combination of paying attention to the amount of yeast, temperature, rising time, and flattening technique.

Just felt a need to post as in spite of the short comings of the result I was proud like a new daddy :)  Also I've been reading this board for a while, and feel that I ought to contribute more to it :)

All in all it was a good learning experience as it was the first time I've tried to make something like this in my new oven and new pans.  In the past I've sometimes tried to make something similar in the home oven with lower hydration and with normal oven pans, with much worse results, read: flatter, harder dough which has stuck on the pan :)
General Pizza Making / Re: Adding yogurt/sour cream to pizza dough
« Last post by Jackitup on Yesterday at 11:48:42 PM »
Try taking your preferment out longer, doubling it, then tripling it, etc. You should get some notable tangier flavors. That's what I do, not AS good as a good sourdough starter but doable. I long ago realized I am not a responsible sourdough tender, I neglect them and they die..... :-[  You could also reach out to local bakeries and ask to buy some of their sourdough starter a cup or 2 at a time to try out when you need some!
Pizza News / Re: Di Fara - The New Yorker Video.
« Last post by Chi_Guy on Yesterday at 11:33:18 PM »
Actually it's not far-fetched at all that he uses AP flour.  Pete-zza once posted about a conversation he had with Dom DeMarco about how he makes his pizza.  Dom told him that he uses a 75/25 ratio of Caputo 00 to All Trumps flours.  I looked up the Wingold AP flour and it appears to be an unmalted flour which would be comparable to an unmalted 00 flour with similar protein level.  Dom is known to switch up his ingredients from time to time, so it's quite conceivable that he's now using a comparable American AP flour.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by mitchjg on Yesterday at 10:57:04 PM »
Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns +
Kaiser Rolls

General Pizza Making / Re: Adding yogurt/sour cream to pizza dough
« Last post by Chi_Guy on Yesterday at 10:56:44 PM »
You could also try an extended poolish with pretty much any formula. The Apizza Scholls is a great one to start with, but can work well with others too!

Funny you mention Apizza Scholls.  I'm using a Lehmann recipe with a preferment based on the Apizza Scholls dough management process.  It's become my go-to recipe for NY style dough these days.

Here's the recipe I use (thanks Pete-zza for developing it):  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9908.msg90226#msg90226 .  Although it's intended for a 16" pie, I'm able to get two 11-12" pizzas out of it.

Yes, poolish helps a lot. Plus, more fermentation time is huge. How long are you holding your dough before baking?

Most definitely.  I preferment about 25% of the flour with an equal weight in water for 12-15 hours.  Total fermentation time is around 20 hours.  When I can, I'll cold ferment the poolish which helps with crust coloration.  Like I said, I get great results with this recipe.  It produces a nice yeasty bread type flavor, but I'd like to get a little sourdough lactic acid taste in there if I can.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Last post by Icelandr on Yesterday at 10:03:14 PM »
Being able to create my preference would be a grand thing! When I get to that point it will be even light brown colour with very little sign of leoparding, as in the pic of Omidís pie in a previous posting. There seem to be so many variables, a number not related to the old dude on the end of the peel watching what he thinks is so intently! The pies were bout 5-10 minutes apart and within 15į C at launch but what a difference, somewhere I recall a discussion about White pies always looking paler in the crust . . . . Iíll blame it on that for now!

Thank you, Craig and CaptBob for your interest!
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by jkb on Yesterday at 09:53:53 PM »
My 100th bake since July 2015  :chef:  (Technically my 118th bake all-time with a handful of bakes in 2011 after I first found the forum).

My wife hasn't really been eating my pizza the last year or so, but has been with me along the journey and decided to participate tonight. Her words were, "It's ridiculous...like the perfect amount of everything. Now I see why you make it every weekend."   :D

16" New England Greek in a pan

And it's better than 90% of what you can buy from people who make almost that many in a day. 
Neapolitan Style / Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Last post by parallei on Yesterday at 09:47:34 PM »
Thank you so much Pascom, I love my Pizza Party oven, light the fire, add some wood and about an hour later hope and bake! Good fun!

Speaking of which . . . My oldest son came over with family, so Pizza was served! I keep lowering the amount of IDY to try to match the house temperature, closer this time but still had to move dough to a cooler building. Hydration 64%, salt 2.8%, IDY .009%, 48 hrs, appx 24/24 Bulk/ball. Dough a bit cool as I didnít get it up to room temp soon enough, was pleased with dough, lots of air but who was in charge of the baking?

Nice work.  Like Craig, I particularly like the fist pie with the more uniform color.  For quite awhile, the pale curst with the black spots seemed to be all the rage.  Which do you prefer?
Prep Equipment / Re: KA Broke already, what's next
« Last post by tinroofrusted on Yesterday at 09:37:54 PM »

For my work process, by the time all the cleaning is done, I get the same/better results with less time by hand kneading.

This is my experience also, although I barely knead the dough. I mix it to a "shaggy" stage in a bowl with a big spoon, then do three folds at 30 minute intervals.  When I'm in a hurry I might knead a bit and do less folds.  This works fine anywhere above 60% hydration,  and no mixer or food processor to clean.  I have a KA which I just hate because it's so loud.  I'd get a Bosch mixer but since I barely use the KA I can't really justify buying a Bosch, at least for pizza and bread dough. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20