A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ligurian focaccia  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Jay Chino

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ligurian focaccia
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
Is it possible to substitute potato flakes for real potatoes, because the lack of potato ricer?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Is it possible to substitute potato flakes for real potatoes, because the lack of potato ricer?

I haven't made this yet, but many, many dozens of times I have made bread with riced potatoes and onions and when my three girls were little and still home I made pancakes all the time with riced potatoes mixed in the batter. Tried instant potatoes once, did not like it as well. Every kitchen needs a ricer, time to get one. Rehydrated onions can replace fresh onions to a point, but instant potatoes not so much. Good in fish breading though!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »

You don't need to rice the potato. Just mash it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »

Looking forward to your results with the SD.

Could not have been happier with the flavor, but need much more work on hydration ratio. I like a very wet dough for focaccia, but definitely overdid it for this one. Once I get everything just right, I'll post. But this recipe has a lot of promise.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
Best breakfast I've had lately: leftover Liguian focaccia, toasted in panini press, torn into pieces, and used in this recipe:

https://davidrosengarten.com/blog/mommas-deep-dish-boiled-eggs-with-shards-of-buttered-toast/

Crumbled bacon didn't hurt.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
Best breakfast I've had lately: leftover Liguian focaccia, toasted in panini press, torn into pieces, and used in this recipe:

https://davidrosengarten.com/blog/mommas-deep-dish-boiled-eggs-with-shards-of-buttered-toast/

Crumbled bacon didn't hurt.

Soft boiled eggs? Did you boil or SV?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline chrisf

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
I'll be in Rapallo this summer, I'll have to try some of the local focaccia.

If there are any stand-out names of places, let me know. I'm going to try to make a special trip to Pizzarium in Rome as well but time will be tight.

Offline DutchPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
Great bread! We enjoyed it with some fresh tomato soup.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
Looks awesome!

Offline Jwpeppa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »
Has anyone fried this dough?  I had some scrap this past weeknd that i rolled out and fried.  Wow!  Light as air, crispy, and of course the taste that only comes along with fried food.  Could be a great snackable appetizer.  Highly recommended.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
Similar but not the same.  I made some "Ligurian Focaccia" using this recipe (no potatoes):

The Google translator helped me go through each step, etc. and I was able to follow along fine.  The only snag I hit was the recipe calls for 55% hydration + 5% oil.  I used KAAP since it is a bit less thirsty than KABF.  The dough was still too dry when trying to mix and I ended up adding water to 59%.  Still felt marginal.    The original recipe calls for a specialty flour from an Italian company, Molino Grassi.  My guess is that this flour is concocted to match up with the recipe hydration. 

So, I made a second dough (the one with tomatoes) @63% H20 + 5% oil and it was super nice.  It turns out that both doughs came through with flying colors.  A little less water next time poured on top.  I used less on this one once I saw how the onion one was baking. 

Really tasty, super soft on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside - close to what I was looking for.   Next time I want a little more chewiness (will use bread flour) and some webbing in the crumb (maybe higher hydration and/or a couple of stretch and folds).

Definitely worth a repeat. 

I also came across this version of the recipe using the same recipe (same flour and hydration, etc.) but this version used a biga.  Probably worth a try.

http://www.valentinavenuti.it/2014/02/la-focaccia-genovese/

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline renchero

• Still learning and loving every minute of it
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
They look awesome mitchjg!  I love the browning that you got on the tomato one too.  I've made this Ligurian focaccia twice now and have also had to tweak the recipe some, it's the only homemade bread that my "raised-on-wonder-bread" family actually asks me to make.  I'll try some of your techniques too and see how they work on my setup.

Was the inside creamy?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
They look awesome mitchjg!  I love the browning that you got on the tomato one too.  I've made this Ligurian focaccia twice now and have also had to tweak the recipe some, it's the only homemade bread that my "raised-on-wonder-bread" family actually asks me to make.  I'll try some of your techniques too and see how they work on my setup.

Was the inside creamy?

Thanks!  We sure like it!

I do not think we would describe it as "creamy" (my wife said a little bit, especially the top areas) - maybe that is driven by the potato in the originally posted recipe.  Ours was more "wonder-bready" but in a good way - soft/fluffy.  I expect that a change to bread flour will impact that, too.

Also, I found this yesterday "https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49829.msg501261#msg501261 ."  It looks like member "Rolls" uses the same recipe that I used (including the adjustments I made).  He proofs longer.  The onion focaccia I made rose more than the other and I am sure it was because I proofed longer. 

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:24:56 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »
Thanks for this, I did this today, very pleased with the result. Used 400g flour

100% molina grassi 00
57% water
2% sugar
2% salt  (plus some sprinkled on top once cooked)
1.75% IDY
potato  - this was about 1 medium potato to 400g flour
EVOO  - a good few glugs to 400g flour :)

homegrown onions soaked in water and some vinegar, plus thyme as I only had a tiny bit of rosemary

same technique as per original recipe, although it took about 30mins to cook .  I used about 220ml of evoo/water emulsion on the top  - at least I think that was about right, it was half a jam jar full as I used one as a shaker

I'll definitely do it again :chef:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:53:07 AM by Hanglow »

Offline renchero

• Still learning and loving every minute of it
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »
Wow. That looks incredible. I’m trying your method for sure. Excellent bread!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
Onions, mushroom, anchovies, prosciutto, sourdough

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
Onions, mushroom, anchovies, prosciutto, sourdough