A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....  (Read 212450 times)

Offline Thicccpie

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....
« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »
Hope this isn't a cursed question here, but how do you guys handle uncooked sauce with calzones? I recently switched to uncooked using the microwave extraction and definitely see an improvement on my pizzas. However the sauce is too thin for calzones, and the cooked sauce worked much better within them.

Would it be best to perhaps just cook sauce for calzones if I'm making them? Or maybe I'll have to try a lower oven temp and longer cook.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
I leave my tomato sauce to drain in a coffee filter basket to get rid of excess water.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
Hope this isn't a cursed question here, but how do you guys handle uncooked sauce with calzones? I recently switched to uncooked using the microwave extraction and definitely see an improvement on my pizzas. However the sauce is too thin for calzones, and the cooked sauce worked much better within them.

Would it be best to perhaps just cook sauce for calzones if I'm making them? Or maybe I'll have to try a lower oven temp and longer cook.

What do you mean? Are you putting the sauce inside the calzones, or leaving it on the side?
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Thicccpie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #303 on: April 22, 2020, 05:30:36 PM »
What do you mean? Are you putting the sauce inside the calzones, or leaving it on the side?
Sauce on the inside of the calzone.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2020, 10:14:32 PM »
That's a stromboli.

Just put your cold sauce in a colander, once it's nice and thick go ahead and spice it up. 🍻

The less seasoning... The better.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #305 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »
Sauce on the inside of the calzone.

I believe the sauce is traditionally served on the side with a calzone, but I guess I have heard of some pizzerias doing it on the inside.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »
I believe the sauce is traditionally served on the side with a calzone, but I guess I have heard of some pizzerias doing it on the inside.
.   ^^^.   Yeah, calzoni is ham, mozz, ricotta... Sauce on da side.  🍻🤡
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline icebob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #307 on: December 05, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »
I always mix my sauce no cook, but always do like 3 #10 cans at a time so after all done, I pressure can in mason jars, best sauce I ever made...

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #308 on: June 06, 2021, 07:49:41 PM »
If you let fresh basil sit in an uncooked sauce for a few hours, then take it out, will the basil flavor the sauce?

Or does the basil need to be cooked in the sauce if you're going to remove it?

Also, can you MAE fresh basil leaves?

Matt

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #309 on: June 06, 2021, 11:14:58 PM »
If you let fresh basil sit in an uncooked sauce for a few hours, then take it out, will the basil flavor the sauce?

I think you will get some boost in flavor from steeping fresh basil in uncooked sauce but that it would be more intense if cooked, even in a small percentage of your total tomato product. You might try putting some fresh basil in a large glass of room temperature water for a few hours, then remove and save (for now) it. Taste the infused water and some plain water side by side and see what you think.

Personally, I would blend or stick blend the basil into the sauce. If that is the flavor I wanted to add I would not be bothered by very small pieces of basil. If that is untenable, strain it or pass it through a food mill.

I mentioned saving the basil for now. My guess is that it has more to give; use it in something else.
-Tony

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2021, 11:26:40 PM »

Why do you want to take the basil out?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2021, 07:34:09 PM »
Why do you want to take the basil out?

I'm looking for a hint of the basil's sweetness, but no random pops of flavor. I'm intrigued by Kenji's recipe, but I'm trying to avoid cooking it.

Matt

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #312 on: June 10, 2021, 12:45:10 AM »
I think you will get some boost in flavor from steeping fresh basil in uncooked sauce but that it would be more intense if cooked, even in a small percentage of your total tomato product. You might try putting some fresh basil in a large glass of room temperature water for a few hours, then remove and save (for now) it. Taste the infused water and some plain water side by side and see what you think.

Personally, I would blend or stick blend the basil into the sauce. If that is the flavor I wanted to add I would not be bothered by very small pieces of basil. If that is untenable, strain it or pass it through a food mill.

I mentioned saving the basil for now. My guess is that it has more to give; use it in something else.

This is a great way to add fresh basil flavor to the sauce, I add a large handful of fresh basil to 1-1.5 cups of water.  I use the microwave till the water is 130-140 degrees to kill any microbes and increase the intensity of the basil.  The basil is discarded and the infused water used in sauces.  Personally I discard because I donít want anyone to be able to identify whatís in my sauce, so I try to use / extract flavors that canít be seen. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #313 on: June 10, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »
This is a great way to add fresh basil flavor to the sauce, I add a large handful of fresh basil to 1-1.5 cups of water.  I use the microwave till the water is 130-140 degrees to kill any microbes and increase the intensity of the basil.  The basil is discarded and the infused water used in sauces.  Personally I discard because I donít want anyone to be able to identify whatís in my sauce, so I try to use / extract flavors that canít be seen.

Thanks! I imagine that would work well when using a paste or heavy puree and need to add water.

I'm thinking of cooking some basil in butter and seeing what happens.
Matt

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #314 on: June 10, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »
I'm against using a cooked sauce (unless for a Chicago deep dish or Detroit style pizza, both of which I don't make, lol).

.....the infused water used in sauces....
I wouldn't use this technique, as I try to minimize the amount of superfluous water in my sauce.