A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits  (Read 16697 times)

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2019, 11:25:09 PM »
Most long time New Yorkers never heard of these people or the "Carbone brothers".  This narrative is recent.  Most New Yorkers don't even know who Dom Demarco is.  New York is territorial to neighborhood unless a foodie.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
Re: Matt's NY Pizzeria Visits
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
Never had Lucia but sounds like it's not just tomato and salt.  Sauce is the main flavor in a pizza and that they didn't sell you the sauce says alot. 
Besides a bouquet garni they may just remove large pieces though a sieve with large leaves for instance.  What does the pizza taste like?  Does it have an aged hard cheese flavor?

The (not so helpful) words that came to my mind when eating it was: tomato, grease, hard cheese. The counter guy claimed they didn't use hard cheese, but I'm almost certain of it. The sauce is really good,  but I have a very hard time describing it as there weren't any obvious dominant flavors. Possibly garlic, though I may be swayed by a video review where someone mentioned garlic. I didn't notice pepper the way I have at other shops. Nor oregano.
Matt

Offline Carmine Abramo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
The (not so helpful) words that came to my mind when eating it was: tomato, grease, hard cheese. The counter guy claimed they didn't use hard cheese, but I'm almost certain of it. The sauce is really good,  but I have a very hard time describing it as there weren't any obvious dominant flavors. Possibly garlic, though I may be swayed by a video review where someone mentioned garlic. I didn't notice pepper the way I have at other shops. Nor oregano.

Yes I would suspect any restaurant won't divulge their "secret sauce".  I also konw a deck oven cooks that sauce differently.  If you make friends with a local pizza place, you might want to ask if you can try making a pizza with your sauce and put it in a deck you will be surprised.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2019, 06:35:48 AM »

Matt,

Was this the video you saw that mentioned the garlic?

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2019, 06:53:08 AM »
Matt,

Was this the video you saw that mentioned the garlic?

Norma

Yes Norma, that's the video, nicely done!
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
One Bite Lucia

John

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
One Bite Lucia

Never clicked on a link so fast...wonder if he's going to Amore too. Would likely post it tomorrow

I'm not surprised they didn't have his full pie order ready based on the reviews, and even my experience there. It's a bit chaotic.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:05:19 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
he's a stranger in a strange land; calls a Jamaican beef patty a beef jerky enchilada  :o  A friend was at amore 10 minutes after he was there, said they received an 8.1
jeff

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
I think the Pizza he was eating was undercooked.

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
he's a stranger in a strange land; calls a Jamaican beef patty a beef jerky enchilada  :o  A friend was at amore 10 minutes after he was there, said they received an 8.1

He's definitely not a very cultured dude. That's probably a large part of what makes him so entertaining and fun to watch. Watching reviews from people that really know their stuff can get old.
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
I think the Pizza he was eating was undercooked.

Under crust looked light...though the slice did hold up. The second slice I had at my recent visit was definitely undercooked. While my first was very crunchy (too much so for me). Certainly seems like their finished crusts are generally inconsistent. But the sauce and cheese was so good that I don't care. The pizza was awesome.
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
For reference because its it's on another thread, here's a link to my review of Amore...there's a video of them topping a pie, and pics of sauce that I bought.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.msg549536#msg549536

Matt

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »
What interests me about the Barstool review is he mentions nothing of the oil or grease on the slice, which he personally views as a bad thing for some reason. The Amore slice certainly has some oil to it. He's an inconsistent reviewer yet I love to watch it because of all of the pizza exposure.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
What interests me about the Barstool review is he mentions nothing of the oil or grease on the slice, which he personally views as a bad thing for some reason. The Amore slice certainly has some oil to it. He's an inconsistent reviewer yet I love to watch it because of all of the pizza exposure.

Objectivity is not in his lexicon.
John

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
He's definitely not a very cultured dude. That's probably a large part of what makes him so entertaining and fun to watch. Watching reviews from people that really know their stuff can get old.
Quite the contrary.  He is as cultured as you can get.   He is entertaining because he is real.  So those people who know their stuff are the very cultured boring human beings you can find.  I agree.   But if you are a Yankee Fan,Mets Fan, or a Boston Fan you understand the culture. I get the feeling you don't.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »

I agree, he seems authentic (although he's not from ny, doesn't know how to pronounce Houston street and doesn't know what a Jamaican meat patty is). By comparison, the videos scott w and mike i recorded seem stiff and rehearsed.

still, not my cup of tea.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:02:41 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »
Quite the contrary.  He is as cultured as you can get.   He is entertaining because he is real.  So those people who know their stuff are the very cultured boring human beings you can find.  I agree.   But if you are a Yankee Fan,Mets Fan, or a Boston Fan you understand the culture. I get the feeling you don't.

When I say cultured, I mean that he has experienced and accepted life and differences outside his normal comfort zone. His misinformation and mispronouncing of words and lack of knowledge of things other then what he is used to shows this. I am not saying that is bad. We are not all fortunate enough to travel and even those that do don't always accept the differences with an open enough mind to learn and soak in other cultures. I agree, he is a very real person and knows what he likes. He doesn't have to conform to others ideas of authenticity or what's right which makes him very fun to watch even if you don't agree with his opinion or even find it laughable.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
...His misinformation and mispronouncing of words and lack of knowledge of things other then what he is used to...

Some of this is part of his routine and is an attempt at humor.
Matt

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
Some of this is part of his routine and is an attempt at humor.

Definitely. And he does it well, I love it! I used to cringe when I first started watching him and anything about Italy was brought up. Now I get it and find him hilarious. He is, to me, the epitome of an acquired taste. 

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
By comparison, the videos scott w and mike i recorded seem stiff and rehearsed.

Agreed, and I think they're starting to grow together and "get it" a little bit more and more with each season. I think these two can make some pretty entertaining and informative material when they figure a few more things out. I can watch Mark Iocono and Frank Pinello all day however.