A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza on "Snow Day"  (Read 2243 times)

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
Pizza on "Snow Day"
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Here in Shillington Pa we got 18 to 24" so the store is closed but I'm just back from Tony Gemignani's Pizza School and I couldn't resist testing my new skills ... here's a Classic Italian .. baked at a  550 degrees. Caputo flour, Grande East Coast blend cheese, Tony's dough and sauce recipe with a 2 day cold ferment. Baked real nice in about 4.5 min!
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza on "Snow Day"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
Pie looks good. How did you like the school I was on the site looking at all the classes.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
SGP,

That's a great looking pie! I live in SF and have been contemplating to attend some of Tony's classes in North Beach but have yet to find the time.

Would you mind posting the recipe for his dough, though?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
Hey Smokin great lookin Pie! Looks similar To What I get with the indoor oven especially the east coast blend love it!! Did you use caputo 00 flour at that temp ? what Hyrdration ?
Thanks!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »

Since Tony gives the recipes as part of the classes which he charges for, it probably isn't appropriate for me to publish his recipe(s) but I can tell you that it's more or less like Reinhart's Neo-neopolitan recipe with 58-59% hydration and caputo 00 flour. The class was great and I have a bunch of pics etc. that I will make into a slide show and put the link on this forum when I get it all done.

In the meantime, here's a teaser ;D
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Fred,

Looks like you were having a great time at Pizza School.  :)  I will have to come up to your place when you are making pizza, again and see the new skills you learned.
Did you get to try out different pizza businesses to see how their pies tasted?

Norma

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
NORMA ... YES ...I got to A-16 and Point Reyes Cafe .. I believe the owner of PRC is on this forum from time to time .. I will post that info also one of these day s.. have pics etc. I hope to do another Pizza demo in the next few weeks. Are you on the stores's newsletter list?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
Fred,

I did sign up for the newsletters, but haven't received any newsletters.  Maybe I will have to sign-up, again.  Will be interesting to see what new techniques you have learned.
Are you going to New York for the Restaurant Show and Pizza Expo at the end of this month and the beginning of next month?  I went last year and although I didn't know anything about pizza making, I enjoyed the show and all the food.  I ate my way though the show and it was a wonder I didn't make myself sick.  ::)  So much free food to try..lol I expected to see more about pizza, but would know more what to look for this year. Lots of great Italian food to purchase. I came home with 3 shopping bags of free stuff.  If the weather isn't bad, I plan on attending this year.  I am just waiting to register until I see if it snows or not.  Last year I waited until 2 days before to register.  Wouldn't you know it, when I went it was snowing and I left New York earlier than I planned, because it was snowing some again, at home. 
Will be good to hear about you going to A-16 and Point Reyes Cafe.

Norma

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
nORMA ..send me your email address and I'll make sure you get the newsletters and announcements. I don't send many but it is a good way to know what we're up to at the store.