A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to go about opening up a pizza shop?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Re: How to go about opening up a pizza shop?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 11:05:02 AM »
Noone, might want to add that to signature. No one.
No more space in the sig box  :-\

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »
(mind you, this person has no experience in the food service sector)

Tell your friend DON'T DO IT. 'Nuf Said. 

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »
This seems like a terrible time to open a new restaurant,  with a new wave of Covid surging across the country.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
if
1) your friend is rich enough to survive first 6-9 months without any money from business.
2) Have passion for this business other than just money.
3) willing to work long hours and learn from mistakes quick.
4) have vision of a small store, product, realistic returns, location.
That's a start..i say go for it.
I  have been helping a corporation to set up a huge operation as a consultant, my task is to define operating principles, setting standard guidelines and help team of professionals with operating procedures. it's in engineering. we are setting up in middle of down town at 38 Acres. 
my next goal to set up pizza place.
My point was , we are setting up without orders on hand but confident that when we are ready customer would show up. approach is the same.
That's why i said go for it but first put your work. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:20:11 PM by woodfiredandrew »

Offline Little bean

• Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
Don’t ask for advice, don’t seek advice. Normally when people ask for advice they are looking to be reassured on what they already plan on doing. No one on this forum knows what your friends situation is, thus any advice on “how to go about opening a pizzeria” is trivial and opinion at best. It’s your friends money, don’t let others spend it. Be confident, sink or swim.

Offline beckysuea

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 02:08:22 AM »
My son who worked in insurance a few years ago was transferred to Dallas.   He then got laid off from his insurance job immediately after transferring and he decided to open a pizza restaurant in Oak Hills called Old Hag's Pizza and Pasta.   He didn't know a thing about running it but as far as I know he was successful and he is in the process of opening another place in Lewisville, TX.   

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
My son who worked in insurance a few years ago was transferred to Dallas.   He then got laid off from his insurance job immediately after transferring and he decided to open a pizza restaurant in Oak Hills called Old Hag's Pizza and Pasta.   He didn't know a thing about running it but as far as I know he was successful and he is in the process of opening another place in Lewisville, TX.

Nice!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 03:29:59 PM »
I think the odds of opening and being successful in the pizza business w/o initial solid experience in the industry is slim at best.  The physical location selection and buildout is hard to say the least, assuming the marketing analysis has been done and it's a good spot to open. I can't imagine the buildout complexity put on a person with no experience and you have to know ahead of time what kind of pizza will be created because that drives the equipment selections, buildout space and workflow.  Providing tips means there is experience and some pointers or best practices are needed.  With no experience it's a from scratch exercise including the learning just to open a physical space.

Assume the space is taken care of and running, now what.  What pizza will be offered that is unique or sets it apart from the others, here I think (in addition to knowing how to run a shop) is where the money can be made.  If there is nothing unique or outstanding about the product the business dies on the vine, no experience leads to that outcome to a much greater degree.  If the products are unique (gained from experience) then there is a fighting chance to make money and success. 

For a typical carry out space considerations are:

Typical size 1000 sq ft min, 1250 -1300 gives more room
Rent needs to be CHEAP as possible. Overhead must be a low as possible.  (not getting into labor, other overhead and food costs here)
A mechanical engineer with experience in restaurant build outs is needed for design and implementation of 1) Grease Traps  2) Walk in Coolers 3) Electrical (depends on equipment), 4) HVAC  5) Venting and Makeup air 6) Hoods 7) Drainage 8) Fire control, Fire Management and sprinkler systems 9) Ansul exhaust systems for stoves, fryers, grills etc... (depending on food served). 10) equipment layout in CAD  - prep tables, storage, hand sinks, prep sinks, 3 compartment sinks, coolers, mixers, proofing (if used), holding cabinets and racking, lighting.

All of this needs to be detailed, designed, drawn up and submitted to the local health department to verify codes and to pass initial regulations.  Once you pass that you can do a buildout.  The trick is you can lease a space and not pass codes or get to open so typically you want to review all the codes upfront and understand them fully before selecting a spot, and to have a "just in case" back out clause if you can't open.  Hire not only a mechanical engineer but find a company local who does buildouts and deals with the health department.  Other new restaurants in the area will typically share their sources unless your competing with them.

What will make and break the location is the Venting, Drainage, Fire Suppression and Grease Trap.

Expect to spend about <$10,000 for initial designs

Offline Jimbolini

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2021, 09:03:17 PM »
I don't know if this is a dead thread or the original poster is still reading, but....

My wife and I spent years as GM's for a successful pizza restaurant to learn what we could.

We recently sold our house for silly profit (house market is crazy), sold an extra car we had (used car market even crazier) and signed a lease for 2200 sqft. space to open in a couple months. (former restaurant with functioning hood, decent electric setup, and about 3k in equipment left behind we got in lease negotiation)

We spent months planning and are learning that we have to adjust as we go. (curveballs regarding plumbing, electric, etc)

No matter what happens, we are going to open but we are glad we had experience in some fields allowing us to learn in others.

Good luck to your friend.