A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Detroit Style / Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Last post by nikolausp on Today at 04:13:22 PM »
I put the water first then yeast. Swish to dissolve then add the flour and salt. Using the metal blade I mix until it forms a ball. Remove it from the bowl, cover it for about 10 minutes, then form into a ball.

Ok, so no extra kneading (unless forming into a ball requires some working / kneading with the dough?).  Good to know... I'll try that next time.

I didn't see this in time, so here's what I just did a bit ago:

I doubled your #115 Post recipe (making two 8x10 Lloyd pans tonight) and used my cheap 10-cup Food Processor.  First I dissolved the salt into the water for kicks in a measuring cup, set aside (I thought it might be good to get the salt nice and dissolved first, as I think I've read that somewhere on the forum).  I then added the Flour, Diastatic Malt Powder, and Yeast (IDY) to the processor and pulsed it a few times to get it all mixed well, then I dumped in the water w/ dissolved salt, and turned on the Processor till everything came together decently.  I'm not sure if I over-mixed it or not... I might have, because it seemed to start gripping the middle shaft overly much after a while, instead of more on the outside of the mixing bowl.  I didn't really know what to do then, so I then put the dough onto the counter and did some stretch folds several times with wet fingers, then I separated the dough into 2 crisco'd 8x10 pans, and kinda stretched it out a bit, and put the pan lids on, and just left them out on the counter (room temp).  I never formed anything into a ball.    I thought Detroit Style pizza's were supposed to go straight into the pans, kinda spread out a bit.  Crossing my fingers that things turn out well.

Now I'm gonna make my first batch of Craig's Homemade Calabrian Chili Oil!
Cracker Style / Re: Dominos thin crust
« Last post by politon on Today at 03:28:44 PM »
Wow, maybe I won't try it!  :-D

:-D
« Last post by HansB on Today at 03:20:11 PM »
Your assumptions are spot on, except they use yeast, dicalcium phosphate, and baking powder. The complete document can be found here:
https://www.dominos.ca/assets/build/market/CA/_en/pdf/Canadian-Nutrition-Guide-Final-Secure.pdf

Decoder ring for some of the "weird ingredients":
  • Dextrose: Also known as glucose, it's a simple sugar.
  • Calcium Propionate: A preservative.
  • Wheat Starch: Typically used for moisture retention, it also provides freeze–thaw stability, which is likely why they use it.
  • Sodium Metabisulphite: A reducing agent that makes the dough easier to stretch, it also shortens mixing time.
  • Cornstarch: Typically used as a thickening agent, it's also improves tenderness.
  • Microcrystalline Cellulose: Typically used for moisture retention, also a texturizer.
  • Dicalcium Phosphate: It's a leavening salt. Sometimes it used to lower pH which can affect coloring in baked goods.
  • Soy Lecithin: An emulsifier. In cracker applications it can improve mixing and decrease stickiness in the dough.
Hope that helps.

Wow, maybe I won't try it!  :-D
« Last post by HansB on Today at 03:19:04 PM »

I see.  So with the KA 3.5c, what's your process?  Just the regular basic blade?   When using the KA 3.5c Food Processor, is the mixing all done in the mixer?  Is any done on the counter with hand kneading?  Any slap/folds in the pan or anything?  I'm just trying to get a feel for the detailed dough process when using a smaller 3.5c food processor, including what order things are mixed...  like, do you mix the dry stuff first, then slowly add the water?  Total mix time?  This is for your 280g dough in post #115.

I put the water first then yeast. Swish to dissolve then add the flour and salt. Using the metal blade I mix until it forms a ball. Remove it from the bowl, cover it for about 10 minutes, then form into a ball.
« Last post by nikolausp on Today at 02:57:29 PM »
I'm making my first ever homemade pizza and homemade dough and homemade sauce tonight!  Excited

HansB's Detroit Style Pizza, and the MAE method for sauce.
« Last post by politon on Today at 02:21:50 PM »
Your assumptions are spot on, except they use yeast, dicalcium phosphate, and baking powder. The complete document can be found here:
https://www.dominos.ca/assets/build/market/CA/_en/pdf/Canadian-Nutrition-Guide-Final-Secure.pdf

Decoder ring for some of the "weird ingredients":
  • Dextrose: Also known as glucose, it's a simple sugar.
  • Calcium Propionate: A preservative.
  • Wheat Starch: Typically used for moisture retention, it also provides freeze–thaw stability, which is likely why they use it.
  • Sodium Metabisulphite: A reducing agent that makes the dough easier to stretch, it also shortens mixing time.
  • Cornstarch: Typically used as a thickening agent, it's also improves tenderness.
  • Microcrystalline Cellulose: Typically used for moisture retention, also a texturizer.
  • Dicalcium Phosphate: It's a leavening salt. Sometimes it used to lower pH which can affect coloring in baked goods.
  • Soy Lecithin: An emulsifier. In cracker applications it can improve mixing and decrease stickiness in the dough.
Hope that helps.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Smoking a brisket question
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 01:48:51 PM »
Should have gotten past 145 by now. Have you checked with multiple thermometers ?

I'd bump temp to 275f.
225 is good for first couple hours as you get more smoke at the lower temps, but then best to go higher.
Dough Clinic / First try with Breville Pizzaiolo, dough issue
« Last post by PizzaCard on Today at 01:41:14 PM »
Apologize if this goes through twice, my first time posting.

Used my new Breville yesterday, manual mode, steadily increasing bottom temp and decreasing top temp for an artisan-style pizza.  I've been heretofore using a steel at 550 and pretty happy with the results...but I'm also tinkering with my dough....

My last of 5 pizzas came out very (overly) brown on top still, but good oven spring with nice bubbles.  Usually the crackle when I roll the pizza cutter through, but I would happily share a pic of the cross section of the crust, as the air bubbles retain integrity.  This time, I got the crack, but the top collapsed into the bottom, so there's no bubbles to show you....any thoughts about why this happened? 

I had top at around 475 crust only, bottom 640-ish.  In for around 6 minutes.

My dough:  Central Milling Bread 90%, KAF Medium 73% Rye 10%, 73%ays.
 hydration, poolish, then bulk CF x 24, then ball and CF x 3 d

I've made many different recipes...this is the first time with using the rye....but this dough opened like a dream...

Hopefuly attaching some pics, and grateful for your advice!!

« Last post by tkmcmichael on Today at 01:40:50 PM »
Also it was put on at midnight last night.
« Last post by tkmcmichael on Today at 01:27:44 PM »
225° but I bumped it to 250°.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
wordpress