A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 112026 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1580 on: July 16, 2021, 04:20:37 PM »
Peter, do you have the gas option?If so would you mind taking a few pictures for me, you can send to my [email protected] address.  I think it is worth pursuing but safety is a concern, I am somewhat used to messing with propane and burners having set up and used a Mickey Mouse bronze foundry for my sculpture casting - some days were exciting!
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1581 on: July 16, 2021, 04:39:41 PM »
Peter, do you have the gas option?If so would you mind taking a few pictures for me, you can send to my [email protected] address.  I think it is worth pursuing but safety is a concern, I am somewhat used to messing with propane and burners having set up and used a Mickey Mouse bronze foundry for my sculpture casting - some days were exciting!
;D
Hi Greg,
I have the PP Bollore with gas option. I am going to take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you.
Cheers
Peter

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1582 on: July 16, 2021, 11:13:34 PM »
I know that this is now the wrong thread, so I will be brief and leave for a while. The gas option for the pizza party is looking most interesting, I will start collecting the materials for modifications, but in the meantime, my pursuit of Boston Pizza, the franchise, not the location was fun tonight. So quick, no fuss no worries, unless you are considering calories and aesthetics. A two hour dough, a tomato sauce replete with garlic and herbs, olive oil, corn meal in and on the dough, gadzooks, what the hell is happening!
It was fun, about 7 years since an home oven pizza, and with some guilt, it tasted good.
I need a fire season option apparently!
Greg

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #1583 on: July 17, 2021, 12:30:04 AM »
Looks delicious, Greg. I'm glad you were able to make pizza and hope you will be able to fire up the WFO in the not too distant future.

I do find it a pleasing experience making same-day pan pizza now and then, for the simplicity of it.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1584 on: July 18, 2021, 05:12:52 PM »
With a Huge Thank you to my marvellous wife Sharon, and sincere thanks to Pete_da_Bayer, Jackie Tran and others on this Great board, my Ooni Koda 16 has been ordered! Shipping says Early August, but doubtful in my mind. Soon I will be able to burn in two different ovens, just one if current fire restrictions continue!
Mods to pizza party cancelled.
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1585 on: July 19, 2021, 03:05:20 AM »
Good decision, Greg. This would have been my favourite as well. I am sure there will be some great Neapolitans coming out of this oven as soon as you got hang of it.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #1586 on: July 19, 2021, 03:32:17 AM »
Congrats, Greg! Unfortunately, you may need to use gas more frequently in the future, what with the climate in this age. Ooni seems like a good choice.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1587 on: July 19, 2021, 04:07:22 AM »
Congratulations, Greg. Hope it arrives in time. :)

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1588 on: July 19, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »
We will all be looking forward to your experience with this little oven!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1589 on: July 24, 2021, 05:42:08 PM »
The sense of going backward!
No oven but the kitchen oven for the near future and I miss so many of the steps in the process of making Neapolitan pizza. The anticipation, the “I’ll try this for this bake” careful measuring to 3 decimal places, fermentation times chosen for the effect on the dough, the starting the fire, selecting the oak . . . . So many things.
Measurements are now in scoopy things, fermentation is 45-60 minutes, bake about 15 minutes at 425° FARENHEIGHT and the results while tasty afterwards feels like you have eaten an armload of donuts . . . I must try a few other recipes, the certainly are better pies in others ovens!

Tried to incorporate my favourite toppings - Italian sausage, mushroom and Taleggio with sweet peppers for colour

Oh, well, next week a different recipe
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1590 on: July 25, 2021, 03:26:41 PM »
Hi Greg,
It looks like you start to enjoy baking in your regular oven. ;D
If you run out of recipes, I highly recommend a roman style pizza in teglia a la Antilife.
Here´s his recipe https://www.0059.it/teglia-romana/
Before i had a baking stone/-steel to parbake, I put the tray on the bottom of the oven for the first 10-12 minutes, only with tomatosauce.
Then, after having added some more sauce and toppings, you put it on the highest level of your oven until the cheese melts.
The dough is quite delicate with 75-80% hydration. Here´s a video, that helped me a lot:

Cheers
Pete

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1591 on: July 25, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
Wow, I just opened up pizzamaking and my thread to ask for a recipe for pinsa Romano or tonda and as I was opening,  your response popped up! Thank you Peter I will have a look and try it out. I looked at recipes this morning for both styles and found a recipe for Pinsa Romano that used some rice flour? This week will be different.
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1592 on: July 25, 2021, 04:18:10 PM »
Wow, I just opened up pizzamaking and my thread to ask for a recipe for pinsa Romano or tonda and as I was opening,  your response popped up! Thank you Peter I will have a look and try it out. I looked at recipes this morning for both styles and found a recipe for Pinsa Romano that used some rice flour? This week will be different.
You´re welcome. That´s right with pinsa dough, they put all different kinds of flours in there, rice, soy, chickpeas, beans, you name it. Don´t ask me about the properties of the different flours, but I think it´s more for the texture and crispiness as for the flavour.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1593 on: July 26, 2021, 06:13:29 PM »
Peter I really like the video d have learned a few different techniques in my watching. Regrettably my Italian is near nonexistent and the subtitles just say music, so I did a bunch of screen captures then used Tanslator to get the text (I hope).
What I don’t seem to get is the overall amount of time and aiming at a time I will be awake and hungry seems to make sense. It appears to be 4-5 hours, there seems to be no long time ferment unless I missed that part.
Is the romana baked and then topped as a second heating?

Thanks again, I thought I would try the video dough, while I try to find the other ingredients for Antlife’s  to try.
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1594 on: July 31, 2021, 12:21:57 AM »
Peter and the Icelandr’s long distant dough!

Because I am without a Woodfired oven due to extreme fire conditions, I posted with some enquires. Once again this board and its members responded, Pete_da_Bayer was incredibly helpful, leading me along the path to Pinsa Romano and a first time attempt. I received links to video, translations of text in the video, and suggested variations on techniques and amounts. We take for granted our connectedness, but I have little sense of the very helpful person Peter, except that without his help there would be little success the first time with a new dough and technique!
There were no records set, fun, and dinner ensued!
Likely too many pictures, but new for me!

A very successful bake, new techniques, new textures, a bunch of learning and fun to collaborate ( OK, receive a ton of help, without which it wouldn’t work!)
Thanks Peter!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:34:35 AM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Pete_da_Bayer

• I Love pizza and beer!
« Reply #1595 on: July 31, 2021, 03:40:45 AM »
Wow, that looks amazing, Greg. You`re a natural! The crumb doesn´t get much better than this. I can also see, that there´s a beautiful crust on the bottom, perfect.
It was a pleasure to give you a little support, but in the end it was you, who did it. Great job!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1596 on: July 31, 2021, 03:51:56 AM »
Great looking pizza. Light and crispy by my imagination. And delicious!

Sounds like a real fun project!

Congratulations (and here's til a little rain coming your way soon )

wordpress