A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 659 times)

Offline Dcpie

• I Love Pizza!
Cheese
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
Hi, Iím a newbie on this site. Having a little problem with cheese. Iíve been using 100% mozzarella and find it kind of bland. Any suggestions for adding a second or third variety?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
Welcome to the group.
I use a 50/50 blend of mozz/prov.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi,

In France, pizzerias traditionally use Emmental, because it was the most available cheese when Italian arrived. It has a stronger taste and it's terrific with mixed herbs ("Provence herbs": thyme, rosemary etc) and other strong flavors like blue cheese, goat cheese...
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
I like a blend of mozzarella, monterey jack & old white chedder, mix around 60/25/15.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 09:14:24 PM »
Provolone, rarely use mozzarella. Current favorite is blobs of blue cheese after bake.

Offline Dcpie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Iíll get to work and implement some changes.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
Are you already using a finishing cheese of any kind? Parmesan, Romano, and Grana Padano all make great finishing cheeses that add a lot of character. Kori mentioned using Monterey jack, and I give a strong thumbs up on that one. Some people like to use brick, which can be good, but can also be a bit bland if you don't get a good one. Ricotta can also be nice for a bit of creaminess, but it's best if it's got some herbs mixed in, or else it can also be a bit bland. Muenster can add a bit of creaminess, and so can Havarti, which has a bit more depth of flavor. A great one for adding post-bake is burrata, and I even like to add it during the bake, towards the end, so that the cream doesn't have too much time to make the crust soggy. To be honest, there are very few cheeses that I can't imagine finding a home on pizza in some way, although some definitely work better with an oil or cream based sauce, instead of tomato sauce. It's all about what you're pairing the cheese with, really.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
Welcome to the group.
I use a 50/50 blend of mozz/prov.

+1
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 06:21:58 PM »
You can try a bit of cheddar. But mozz + parm/romano and a flavorful sauce works wonders. It took me a while to accept that the sauce and hard cheese(s) flavors the pizza.

Matt

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 04:33:04 AM »
You can try a bit of cheddar. But mozz + parm/romano and a flavorful sauce works wonders. It took me a while to accept that the sauce and hard cheese(s) flavors the pizza.

+1, I second this emotion.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
My next cheese experiment is to try some shredded havarti and provolone together, probably 50/50.  I'm thinking the combination of the creaminess from the havarti and the (softened) flavor profile of the provolone sounds promising.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
I gave up using Mozzarella a while back. Flavorless.  A favorite alternative of mine is Fontina. Can be wonderful on it's own or blend with Havarti and also provolone. Fontina melts very well and can take the heat of the oven far better than mozz which tends to burn and turn brown. There's also loads of flavor in the hard cheeses such as parmesan/ Romano etc... that can be added into the sauce or added as a finish cheese when the pie first comes out piping hot so it can melt into the mix.