A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anybody look at the brick-n-flame oven kit?  (Read 263 times)

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
Anybody look at the brick-n-flame oven kit?
« on: August 15, 2022, 02:12:00 PM »
These guys turn out to be local to me, about 20 minutes away. The advertised price is $1500 but they are quietly offering the kits for $800 in local classifieds.

Appears to be a side business of a fireplace company.

https://bricknflame.com/brick-n-flame-wood-fired-oven/

My immediate thoughts after poking around the website and watching the assembly video:

1: No real specs are offered wrt dimensions. I guess i could extrapolate from standard firebrick sizes. (Edit: the insulation board that supports the deck is 27x27", ok)

2: They refer to the cast wall pieces as "refractory" but they sure look like cast vermicrete to me -- so maybe there is minimal heat storage in the structure.

3: Ceiling perhaps higher than ideal for pizza. But at least the smoke stack is positioned lowish.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 02:34:07 PM by Timpanogos Slim »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Anybody look at the brick-n-flame oven kit?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 07:42:01 PM »
Not great, but better than a lot of them. The base required is 42x48, so probably a 36" oven depending upon the thickness of the refractory panels.

FYI, perlcrete can be made denser, and the insulation value will fall, but the heat retention would rise.  Refractory just means high temp capable.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 08:37:54 PM »
Not great, but better than a lot of them. The base required is 42x48, so probably a 36" oven depending upon the thickness of the refractory panels.

FYI, perlcrete can be made denser, and the insulation value will fall, but the heat retention would rise.  Refractory just means high temp capable.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Interesting construction method but I fear it wouldn't store heat in the walls.

All things considered, I think I would rather use the sand dome method to do a single casting of homebrew refractory with hardware cloth reinforcement, and then maybe a layer of perlcrete or vermicrete on top of that.

At least it looks like i know which local fireplace vendor can probably sell me ceramic fiber board.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 08:46:30 PM »
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Interesting construction method but I fear it wouldn't store heat in the walls.

All things considered, I think I would rather use the sand dome method to do a single casting of homebrew refractory with hardware cloth reinforcement, and then maybe a layer of perlcrete or vermicrete on top of that.

At least it looks like i know which local fireplace vendor can probably sell me ceramic fiber board.
Just ask them. Those boards could just be high density castable. Its difficult to tell from the photos.
And if they are - then $800 is a very good price for a kit.

Edit - I watched the assembly video. Going by how easy lifting the panels looked, and with a better view of them, it appears they are perlite and refractory cement or something similar.
If so, what a shame.
They've obviously put a lot of thought into it, too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:13:48 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress