A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Dough Clinic / Re: Papa Sal's frozen dough
« Last post by PizzaByNight on Today at 05:36:01 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. I don't know why Sal or whoever tells us to re-ball in the directions.

I'm probably gonna make my own dough in the future if it's easy enough. I'll try using the calculator tools here, hoping they're near foolproof.
Prep Equipment / Re: Steel stone vs Cordierite Stone
« Last post by Underwood on Today at 04:41:16 AM »
Which settings you prefer to cook your New York style pizza guys? I have been using the one in the picture but it really cooks quickly maybe quicker than I would want. What would you suggest?
Prep Equipment / Re: Looking for Spiral Mixer Recommendations
« Last post by lennyk on Today at 04:20:42 AM »
Famag lover here with tilt head

presently making xmas panettone with it
Chefs warehouse
From my observations blisters and extreme blistering come from rest in the fridge. Since he mentioned that it is 70% hydration and 48h ferment - chances of this dough seeing the inside of a fridge are quite high. I have seen this type of blisters on some Bureks/Banitza-s in the Balkans - which is slightly rich filo type dough.
Dough Clinic / Re: 00 flour vs bread flour
« Last post by jma6610 on Today at 01:56:50 AM »
That doesn't appear to be the case. A quick google search shows lots of scientific literature talking about how S.cerevisiae is among the yeasts that can grow in the absence of oxygen. It does require oxygen molecules, but they don't have to be free o2, apparently.

I've tried to search on this topic before and everything I found was that the yeast multiplication does need oxygen, but now that I'm googling it again, I'm finding information that suggests you're correct. I'll have to read more. I guess the question is whether the majority of rise and fermentation in pizza dough comes from the multiplication of the yeast or simply the amount that's initially there consuming sugars and producing CO2 for the rise and alcohols and different bacteria for the flavour.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Tacos of all flavors
« Last post by Bill/SFNM on Today at 01:41:54 AM »
Details please Bill. I have some belly I need to use up!!!

SV Pork Belly 155F for 12 hours.
Cut into small chunks
Crisp up all sides
Glazed with bag juices and chile sauce (this was a black mole sauce)
Serve on small tortillas (these were made fresh from Maseca)
Garnish with more sauce, onion, cilantro, toasted corn, chicharon, toasted sesame seeds, lime wedges
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Tacos of all flavors
« Last post by Jackitup on Today at 01:36:55 AM »
Details please Bill. I have some belly I need to use up!!!
Dough Clinic / Re: 00 flour vs bread flour
« Last post by Timpanogos Slim on Today at 01:34:21 AM »
Very interesting stuff on that page. Did TXCraig ever do much else with his yeast estimator? If I understand correctly, he based some of his formulas and subsequent charts on the assumption that yeast multiplies in pizza dough. I assumed such before, but have more recently read that it multiplies only in the presence of oxygen and that's rapidly used up within minutes after the dough is mixed so most of the rise isn't from the multiplication of yeast but rather the CO2 produced from the yeast consuming the sugars. If that's the case, then the estimation formula might be better approximated with a linear rather than exponential equation - I'm unsure - is there anywhere on the forum or elsewhere that this has been discussed?

Jeff

That doesn't appear to be the case. A quick google search shows lots of scientific literature talking about how S.cerevisiae is among the yeasts that can grow in the absence of oxygen. It does require oxygen molecules, but they don't have to be free o2, apparently.

They call yeasts that can do this "petite-phenotype-positive" whatever that means.

I know, from the brewing angle, when you're breeding yeast, aeration is key. You put it in a malt extract solution with some yeast nutrient (or some grated carrot) in a big Erlenmeyer flask with just something over the mouth to keep dust out (wrap some foil around it, or rubber-band a paper towl around the mouth, but do *not seal it) and put it on a stir plate to spin in the dark for a few days.

Some people oxygenate their wort before pitching yeast, and I tried that a couple times, but i couldn't convince myself that pumping oxygen through a bubbler stone in the fermenter actually helped.

Later on in the ferment, the presence of oxygen will ruin the beer.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: The End of Meat ?
« Last post by Pizza_Not_War on Today at 01:32:23 AM »
I think you can't argue with certain people. I am sure Organic chicken taste good if you are comparing to bland chicken.
I think these people sacrafice flavor for health. At least thats what they think they are doing.
https://www.maryschickens.com/heirloom.htm these are pricey but very tasty. If you like brined chicken have at it, just stop insulting people who want to buy and eat what you don't think is worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress