A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by Elchimi on October 24, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Tonda Romana, so good
Detroit Style / Re: par baked vs straight baked?
« Last post by Andrew t on October 24, 2021, 02:32:41 PM »
UPDATE-
I've settled on doing the par bake.

The results are both solid.

I've been baking 8-10 at a time for my day job once a week to serve by the slice. I did straight one week and par baked another. The variation between pies in the same batch was as much as between the batches. 

The biggest difference was is managing the work flow.

I could see in a professional setting straight bake being prefered if that was the primary focus of the operation. Way fewer steps, less storage requiremnts, simpler training, less critical points for error.  The same could be said for baking at home.

Parbaking has so many advantages for my operations/enviroment. Both in my day job in a cafe that only serves pizza occasionally and my side hustle moblie pizza operation.

In that enviroment the added steps provide several different places to 'park' the process and work it on a schedgule that fits my needs. It is also possible to change the timeline in process if needed.

I settled on the John A. method for Sicilan. 4-5 day CF, pan, proof (8-12 hours), cook, cool and freeze. then top and finish as needed.

For my work flow the advantages of par baking have proven to be huge.

I can make the dough when it suits. Cold feremnt it 3-5 days, pulling to rise and par bake when it works. I can retard the rising panned dough if need be overnight and finsh the rise and bake the next day. Once baked, cooled and frozen it can be fininshed when ready.

It feels like cheating but it works.

Andrew
Pizza Cheese / Re: Caputo Brothers Mozzarella
« Last post by piesofsatan on October 24, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »
Loved the Fior di Pizza. Really nice flavor but I also donít know if I noticed a huge difference between it and the Grande WM I was using previously. Though I canít wait to bake with it again. Melt was great!
Neapolitan Style / Re: My Road To Napoli
« Last post by degustatore on October 24, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
Hi amolapizza

Out of all your recent Classica experiments, which dough recipe would you recommend I try?

Thanks!

I think it's what I call pizza classica, the pizza served in most of Europe and in Italy (except for in Naples).  You hit the nail on the head with 375C!  Baked for about 2.5-3 minutes.

I've documented some of my bakes in a thread, starting from here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52331.msg670827#msg670827

You're right about Europe! I've had the same style in different parts of France and I would say that in Tuscany (and most of the other parts we've visited in Italy) most of the pizza is in the classic style - not Neapolitan. I like Neapolitan but nowhere near as much as the classic style.

I'll move across to your Classica thread and join you over there, if that's OK!
Just try a NY style pizza recipe to see how close you get.
I'd guess you are just using the wrong type of cheese for the melt you are looking for. What are you using?

Thanks for your reply - I definitely intend to give NY style a try!
Dough Clinic / Re: Cold Fermentation vs Room Temp
« Last post by drainaps on October 24, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
The most relevant impact of longer cold fermentations happens when using levains (creatively called sourdoughs in the US,  but as the name has stuck, letís call them sourdoughs  ;)), not commercial yeast, and this because a levain is a combination (colony)of yeasts AND bacteria.  The keys here are (1) temperature affects yeast and bacteria activity differently, and (2) speaking of bacteria only, temperature tips the balance off towards either lactic -acetic or alcoholic fermentation, hence impacting the flavour palette.

Speaking of (1), activity, lower temps slow bacteria significantly more than they do yeast (cutting corners here). Speaking of (2), type of fermentation, (additional corner-cutting) in lower temperatures bacteria are in acetic fermentation mode, and as the temperature increases, fermentation becomes predominantly lactic.

To further complicate things, dough hydration adds a third axis to bacterial and yeast activity: higher hydration conveys higher activity for both bacteria and yeast, and a facilitation of lactic fermentations.

A fourth axis comes in the form of gluten-degrading enzymes, called proteases, that basically cut gluten strands in a process called proteolysis, de facto reversing the gluten built through mixing.

Speaking of commercial yeast (no significant presence of bacterial activity), and going back to your question, longer fermentations do allow yeasts to produce additional quantities of aromatic compounds, but thereís also significant proteolysis, especially at room temperature.  In order for fermentation to last long without exhausting the available starches / sugars, and especially without significant proteolysis (gluten destruction) they must be made at low temperatures.

In long fermentations at room temperature , you can control yeast activity by using, as you rightly say, much lower amounts of yeast (they can be REALLY tiny amounts into the tenths of gram if youíre mixing a small quantity of dough), but you canít control (reduce) enzymatic activity, enzymes are in the flour whatever you do.  Your dough will have a (very) poor gluten structure after a long fermentation at room temperature. You might get away with it with some kinds of flour, but in my opinion itís not worth the hassle.

The key for a long fermentation is in any case proper temperature control, something difficult to achieve in a domestic fridge or home kitchen. I believe that 2/3 of dough issues at home have to do with mastering temperature (we all know how to weigh yeast ).

Hope this helps.
New York Style / Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Last post by peetzabone on October 24, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
Last night I left the Sclafani in the rack and opened a can of Cento San Marzano (only choice at Trader Joe's) to make a "NY" style sauce with some of the thoughts from this thread. I was stunned at how much watery liquid is in that can! I drained and then milled and folks still thought the sauce was watery (and a little vapid). Need to press the liquid out of the tomatoes I guess.

The idea of heating the olive oil / spices in microwave for extraction, however, was genius! I'm doing that from now on.
Neapolitan Style / Re: San Antonio Bakes
« Last post by crawsdaddy on October 24, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
Well, how did they taste?  Worth the price?

Interesting taste, not a sweet as I would have expected. Not worth the price to me if I were going to use in any volume. That said I am going to keep a jar of them around to compare to possible substitutes and to use occasionally
Home Ovens / Re: Has anyone seen this? (Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo)
« Last post by 02ebz06 on October 24, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
Looks like a nice even bake.  Did you have to rotate the pizza at all ?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]