A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 210351 times)

Offline Mark Polo

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2022, 04:49:02 PM »
I cook it at home at 470 F.

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2022, 06:09:42 PM »
I think that will vary depending on the oven size. I use a winco pizza oven that has upper and lower coils close to the pan. I keep the cheese covered in aluminum foil until the last couple minutes. The dial says 430 but don't know how accurate it is. I cook for a total of 19 minutes for a 9X9 pizza. the cheese is from city mager in wilkes barre and keep it from browning and burning. Its land of lakes mild cheddar that pizza loven and vp use. This cheese is super important to recreate their taste. While other cheese can work I think the lol is best. I'm trying to find a source in new england. I bought 15 lbs when in and vacuum seal and refrigerate it in between use. It freezes good as well.

Offline zoe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #482 on: April 11, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
I think that will vary depending on the oven size. I use a winco pizza oven that has upper and lower coils close to the pan. I keep the cheese covered in aluminum foil until the last couple minutes. The dial says 430 but don't know how accurate it is. I cook for a total of 19 minutes for a 9X9 pizza. the cheese is from city mager in wilkes barre and keep it from browning and burning. Its land of lakes mild cheddar that pizza loven and vp use. This cheese is super important to recreate their taste. While other cheese can work I think the lol is best. I'm trying to find a source in new england. I bought 15 lbs when in and vacuum seal and refrigerate it in between use. It freezes good as well.

Thanks for your advice. I see the videos of Victory Pig and Pizza Perfect and they cook everything at once. I was just wondering the temperature they use to get the cheese so perfect.

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »
The ovens they use are professional which have uniform temperature throughout which aids in cooking evenly.  To compensate with my oven I cover the pan with aluminum foil and only remove the foil in the last couple minutes monitoring the cheese to keep it from overcooking and burning.

Offline smitty22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »
Has anyone tried using premade dough balls for the crust/dough?

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »
Made a few small trays of VP style pizza last night. It was superb. I think I may finally have the high altitude dough recipe nailed. I've moved to 9x9 non stick carbon steel cake pans from Chicago Metallic (Amazon) and they are absolutely wonderful. The 12x17 blue steel pans I was using won't brown or bake enough in the center so moving to these smaller pans helps a lot. Plus with non stick the pizza just slides right out.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline mkoss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #486 on: March 12, 2023, 08:28:49 PM »
nice to hear from you again. This section has been quiet for some time. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for this section and what we've learned in order to make the pizza for ourselves.  This has been a forty year quest on my part.  Napa Bill has been a big help in tracking down the cheese which gives it its distinctive taste. City Mager is the source for smaller quantities other than the 45 lb block

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »
Thanks, glad to be back. I had put pizza on the back burner for a while because with the altitude it became a struggle to get the dough right and I also have a big property (acreage) that takes a lot of my time. I decided it was time to start baking again so hopefully, I expect to be baking pizza weekly. Using these carbon steel pans has helped a lot although I'm still shocked at how long the baking times are. In PA, I could bake a tray (fully topped with cheese) in about 12 mins. Here at 7,000', I have to pre-bake with sauce/no cheese for between 15-20 mins to get a nice browning of the crust then pull it out, top it with the cheese, then back in for another 5-7 mins or util the cheese starts to brown. I'm hoping that I finally have this down here. It certainly feels that way. The other thing I do that I didn't need to do at low altitude is to make the dough a day or two ahead of time and let it cold ferment in the fridge. That seems to be the key here since slowing down the rise results in the yeast being able to do it's job and build structure at a far slower rate than would be possible at room temps at this altitude. Still learning but have a lot more confidence in being able to turn out a nice tray of pizza than I did just a few years ago.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
steel_baker, I am not conversant in high altitude baking but it seems to me a difference in baking times as large as yours must also have something to do with the difference in your oven in PA and your oven in CO. I realize you cannot go back and check your previous oven so my comment is not helpful or provable. It might be worthwhile to confirm your current ovenís temp with the setting on the dial though.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2023, 01:14:06 PM »
BP is under 200F @7000'.  Maybe offset your hydration with oil?
John

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »
steel_baker, I am not conversant in high altitude baking but it seems to me a difference in baking times as large as yours must also have something to do with the difference in your oven in PA and your oven in CO. I realize you cannot go back and check your previous oven so my comment is not helpful or provable. It might be worthwhile to confirm your current ovenís temp with the setting on the dial though.

Actually it has happened in the 3 different ovens I've used since I moved to 7,000' above sea level. Browning is and has always been an issue at altitude. The other thing that happens is with the low humidity (typically 20% or below), the cheese burns quickly. That's why I prebake to get a browned crust so that the cheese only needs 5-7 minutes.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »
BP is under 200F @7000'.  Maybe offset your hydration with oil?

Not really necessary. I get great results now that I've learned to be patient with the crust while t browns in the oven. It just takes longer and nothing will fix that. It's expected at this altitude. I don't like to use oil or sugar in the dough because it softens it too much and turns it into a soft bread instead of pizza. Flour, water, salt, and yeast, that's it.

Offline Mark Polo

« Reply #492 on: March 26, 2023, 05:30:08 PM »
Good to see you baking Steel Baker and carrying the torch for Victory Pig pizza around the country.  I have been having great success by cooking at 500 for about 15 minutes, covering non stick pan in 1/4 cup of peanut oil.  Getting an outrageous crisp, golden brown, greasy bottom crust with an onion tomato sauce on top.  Just visited VP a few weeks ago & I think it is very similar.

Offline Rmsmith006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #493 on: January 20, 2024, 03:02:48 PM »
Hello to all of you who are interested in making NE PA style pan pizza.  I first tasted Victory Pig Pizza about 1957 when I was about 10 years old. That makes me one of the oldest living customers of Victory Pig. At that time it was run by Leo Ceccoli and family and cost 10 cents a cut. It was amazingly delicious with a unique flavor and texture. Since then I have also eaten this style of pizza at other places such as Pizza Perfect and Pizza Líoven and recognize the subtle differences between them. Since moving away I have tried to recreate this pizza at home with limited success. I have read all the comments on this forum with great interest. So here are a few of my comments:  1) I am very interested in the recipe on Lee Devlin website by a relative who worked at Victory Pig. Since it is a large scale recipe it might be pretty accurate. 2) that recipe uses self rising flour which could produce a nice oven spring that might not be otherwise obtained. However I won't use baking powder with aluminum. 3) that recipe calls for Contadina tomatoes and paste and I believe that is the correct flavor. 4) that recipe calls for low hydration which seems incorrect to me. 5) peanut oil is the correct oil but I mix it with olive oil. I also think that reused oil might add a flavor that isn't obtained with virgin oil. 6) the toughest thing to do is crisp up the bottom crust, make sure the middle is cooked while not burning the cheese. 7) what is that cheese? I have tried them all. Rumor says it is white Wisconsin Cheddar but it seems to be a unique one and I can't pin it down. That's it for now ! Any comments?

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #494 on: January 21, 2024, 05:16:16 AM »
Hello to all of you who are interested in making NE PA style pan pizza.  I first tasted Victory Pig Pizza about 1957 when I was about 10 years old. That makes me one of the oldest living customers of Victory Pig. At that time it was run by Leo Ceccoli and family and cost 10 cents a cut. It was amazingly delicious with a unique flavor and texture. Since then I have also eaten this style of pizza at other places such as Pizza Perfect and Pizza Líoven and recognize the subtle differences between them. Since moving away I have tried to recreate this pizza at home with limited success. I have read all the comments on this forum with great interest. So here are a few of my comments:  1) I am very interested in the recipe on Lee Devlin website by a relative who worked at Victory Pig. Since it is a large scale recipe it might be pretty accurate. 2) that recipe uses self rising flour which could produce a nice oven spring that might not be otherwise obtained. However I won't use baking powder with aluminum. 3) that recipe calls for Contadina tomatoes and paste and I believe that is the correct flavor. 4) that recipe calls for low hydration which seems incorrect to me. 5) peanut oil is the correct oil but I mix it with olive oil. I also think that reused oil might add a flavor that isn't obtained with virgin oil. 6) the toughest thing to do is crisp up the bottom crust, make sure the middle is cooked while not burning the cheese. 7) what is that cheese? I have tried them all. Rumor says it is white Wisconsin Cheddar but it seems to be a unique one and I can't pin it down. That's it for now ! Any comments?

Hi RM.   The flour used is not self rising..  It's General Mills  "Full Strength" #53391.  The cheese is Land O'Lakes mild cheddar.  This cheese comes in 40lb blocks and tastes nothing like cheddar you buy in the supermarkets.  The tomatoes are not Contadina..  They use a combination of two California tomatoes..  One is a whole tomato, the other is a heavy tomato puree.  These two products are under the labels of Rose Brand and Granada brands.  I believe they source them from Orlando foods in Scranton, which is open to the public.. Cash only!

wordpress