A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 64062 times)

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #600 on: April 19, 2021, 11:43:13 PM »
Thanks...will have to try that blend!

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #601 on: April 20, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
Tellier #3 for the win...

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tellier-x3-5-qt-stainless-steel-food-mill-3-12-x-9-3-4/9804257032.html

Sorry to hijack the thread, but any idea if/when Dave from Barstool sports is going to swing by your new place for "just one bite"?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #602 on: August 05, 2021, 07:19:45 PM »
Question regarding salt:

I reduced the amount of salt I was adding to my sauce when I started to add romano again because romano has sodium. But, if salt enhances or brings out the flavor of tomato, would the romano do the same? I feel like it doesn't and I need to add back the salt, even when including romano.

Matt

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #603 on: August 05, 2021, 10:32:16 PM »
Question regarding salt:

I reduced the amount of salt I was adding to my sauce when I started to add romano again because romano has sodium. But, if salt enhances or brings out the flavor of tomato, would the romano do the same? I feel like it doesn't and I need to add back the salt, even when including romano.
Are you using pecorino or an American cow milk romano?
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #604 on: August 06, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
Are you using pecorino or an American cow milk romano?

Pecorino, but Boars Head brand, which doesnt have that strong romanoey bite. (Also tossing some parm-reg on top post bake.)
Matt

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #605 on: August 06, 2021, 11:18:29 AM »
Pecorino, but Boars Head brand, which doesnt have that strong romanoey bite. (Also tossing some parm-reg on top post bake.)
I asked because American cow milk Romano cheese tends to be much saltier, and would influence how much salt you would want to use in everything else going on your pizzas.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:20:21 AM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Simpleguycooks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #606 on: August 14, 2021, 02:06:26 PM »
I want to try fresh garlic, never put it in my sauce. Maybe weigh it?

Agree the oregano from Sansone, give the sauce the zing I was looking for.  However not sure what to add to give the Altas a bit more sweetness

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #607 on: August 14, 2021, 03:54:40 PM »
Agree the oregano from Sansone, give the sauce the zing I was looking for.  However not sure what to add to give the Altas a bit more sweetness

I add a bit of sugar. (Currently 1/2 tsp in 1.25 cups of milled tomato.)

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #608 on: August 15, 2021, 12:53:49 AM »
Question regarding salt:

matt, iíve found variation can to can so i taste tomatoes after opening and then after every ingredient. my suggestion is to let your palate be your guide rather than strictly use set measurements.

best,
jeff

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #609 on: October 24, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
Last night I left the Sclafani in the rack and opened a can of Cento San Marzano (only choice at Trader Joe's) to make a "NY" style sauce with some of the thoughts from this thread. I was stunned at how much watery liquid is in that can! I drained and then milled and folks still thought the sauce was watery (and a little vapid). Need to press the liquid out of the tomatoes I guess.

The idea of heating the olive oil / spices in microwave for extraction, however, was genius! I'm doing that from now on.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #610 on: October 24, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
^^^While whole peeled is more watery than crushed, I also found Cento SM to be the most watery. I use Alta Cucina, but liked Muir Glen from the grocery store. Also, Bianco is popular.
Matt

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #611 on: October 24, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »
Lately I've been tossing around the idea of blending some passata with crushed tomatoes (either pre-crushed or whole tomatoes crushed by hand) to get the kind of consistency I want. I'm looking for something with a nice chunkiness like crushed tomatoes, but a bit more fluid, so it be can spread on pizzas quickly. But I'm also thinking that maybe I need to first invest in a food mill, to get out as much water as possible in the crushed tomatoes before I add the passata. I'm just not sure it's really worth the investment in a potentially costly food mill, if the sauce I get with that process wouldn't be any better than it would be if I just drained whole tomatoes and crushed them and then added the passata. Maybe I could just take the drained whole tomatoes and hit the with some salt and let them sit overnight to let the salt draw the water out, instead of putting them through a mill? I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe some of us here have already tried out something like this approach (?). Any input is more than welcome.