A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?  (Read 11995 times)

Offline Bill/CDMX

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2022, 11:24:04 PM »
TXCraig1, his wife, and I went mushroom hunting today. Take a look at this beauty collected by Craig's wife. We had a great haul. Made pizzas in the Carbon.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2022, 05:28:31 AM »
That's great! I found the first lot of the season for me yesterday, got about 15 of these little guys. There were a lot of really tiny ones just forming too and I did find a couple that were far too gone.

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:46 AM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:36:19 AM by Hanglow »

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2022, 03:35:53 AM »
Got a couple decent hauls of both chanterelles and porcini
  They tend to grow in different places, so I usually find lots of one and few of the other. That day was a chanterelles day
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:59:46 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
Went to a different place today, found a fair number of chanterelles and lots of bay boletes.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2022, 05:08:54 PM »
TXCraig1, his wife, and I went mushroom hunting today. Take a look at this beauty collected by Craig's wife. We had a great haul. Made pizzas in the Carbon.

It was awesome. I had so much fun and incredible food. I'm super slow posting pics  :-[
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2022, 05:09:46 PM »
We made tons of incredible food with them in addition to the pizza.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 06:35:03 PM by Pete-zza »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2023, 09:58:47 AM »
Picked some elf cups and wood ears this year. Not the biggest fan of either, but now is peak wild garlic season  :chef: helped myself to a couple of bags from here. Few flowered garlic is also there, another good edible. There's about five acres of woodland that is carpeted in it

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »
Found my first chicken of the woods of the year yesterday, was tiny though so didn't pick it. I did also find a lot of fairly young dryads saddle so picked that and have dried it for stock. Smells like watermelon when fresh

Chanterelles from next month, I still have some frozen in the freezer from last year

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2023, 04:19:53 PM »
Question for any of you hunter-gatherers:
I understand that cooking a known poison mushroom probably is not going to keep one from getting sick, or worse. Disregarding whether they taste better cooked vs raw or vice-versa, are the some mushrooms that are ok to eat cooked but not raw?

Seems now like rearranging my sentences may answer my own question. My Google is broken and I canít get a technician on Memorial Day.  :-D
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2023, 11:29:20 AM »
I think there's quite a few that need cooked, morels being one and a few of the boletes can be eaten once cooked that would otherwise give you an upset stomach at least. Fly agaric can probably be consumed without side effects if properly prepared . As for ones that are truly poisonous, I'm not too sure! I don't think I'd risk it :-D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2023, 12:47:42 PM »
Caution with ALLLLL wild mushrooms....."CONSUME ALCOHOL MODESTLY IF AT ALL".....Severe GI upset can occur. You can blow up like a balloon and fart like a hippo!!!!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2023, 03:39:44 AM »
Yeah there are very few that would be served at a restaurant compared to the number you could potentially eat. Advice is whenever you are trying a new mushroom to eat you only eat a small, cooked amount to see if you have a reaction to it. Things like chicken of the woods would be one that while delicious to most people can cause a reaction in some. Although I'm sure I've seen it on a menu in Germany, I've never seen it on one in the UK. Continental Europeans have a much greater appreciation of wild mushrooms than British people though.

The only ones I'd eat raw would be ceps and some brittlegills are nice thinly sliced in a salad.

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2023, 04:18:46 AM »
First chanterelles of the season, this is the first one I picked. Got enough for some fried mushrooms on toast

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2023, 08:49:15 AM »
First chanterelles of the season, this is the first one I picked. Got enough for some fried mushrooms on toast

Damn.  I saw a bunch at the cabin this past weekend and forgot to go back and pick them.
John

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »
Got. Some more chanterelles and my first porcini of the year. The only way is up  :-D

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2023, 01:33:26 PM »
My first mushroom hunt in 25 years or so. I have some distant memories as a kid of picking chantarelles.

We live literally next to the woods now, and lots of pine. I got a lot to learn, so at this stage I was mainly scouting, looking for porcini and chantarelles. I mostly found other kinds, but didnít pick them. I did pick what I thought looked most like porcini. There are a couple of mushrooms they can be confused with, but I gathered those I found. Worst case scenario I learn something. I may have been a bit late on most of these as they are quite yellow underneath and other living things got to them before me. If they even are porcini. The best specimen was the one on the left. They were mostly scattered here and there. Maybe 2-3 in the same vicinity.

I photographed many others so I may be able to identify them.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Hanglow

« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2023, 02:31:20 PM »
The one to the furthest right looks like it could be an amanita , so definitely don't eat it

The second from right is (probably) a leccinum sp. Looks like a brown birch bolete. They are OK when small, tend to get spongy in the cap and tough in the stape when older.

There's a couple of decent reddit subs for mushroom id,  apps are still hit and miss so i would get a decent written field guide if you want to pick them to eat. Older porcini can still be dried and then are much better texture when cooked again, but they might be a bit infested with maggots for you  :-D everyone has their limits and they almost always have some form of maggot inside them unfortunately.  The one furthest left definitely  looks the best as you say

Happy hunting
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 02:34:37 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2023, 03:19:54 PM »
Thanks! Iíll check out the sub.

I threw out the three on the upper right. I also assumed one is a brown birch bolete. One was probably porcini, but not in very good shape. I was then left with one fine, young specimen and three old. Good tip on drying old ones. Iíll have to see if the worms left anything for me on the inside. Whatever is left after cutting, drying and rehydrating will likely be used in risotto or some kind of dish. Too bad I didnít find the young one earlier today, before making pizza.

Someone else found 2.5 kg in this area the other day, so thereís certainly opportunities. I havenít found the time to go hunting until now, but now I have at least started. Internet sources claim porcini can grow fast, which is nice.

A field guide is on my wish list. I want to hunt more than porcini and chantarelles.
Heine

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2023, 07:43:37 AM »
Finally found some chantarelles. Perfect timing for tomorrowís pizza.

Picked a few porcini too, but donít know how maggoty they are yet. Some of the stem may be fine and end up on a pie, but Iíll probably dry some too. I came across quite a few porcini, but most of them were large and old, ranging from pretty maggoty and perforated to moldy and almost decomposed. They were mostly scattered, but one area had 15-20 large ones in the same area. None deemed suitable for eating by me.

I shouldíve been there a week ago or something I guess. Didnít see any young ones either, if I even know what to look for.
Heine

wordpress