A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: July 2020 Monthly Challenge: Hot dog and hamburger buns  (Read 6126 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline quietdesperation

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3148
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
Re: July 2020 Monthly Challenge: Hot dog and hamburger buns
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »
At least he didn't disqualify my airbuns  ;D

Here is a picture of them:

my hydrogen buns, pictured below,  are lighter than craig's airbuns!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:41:45 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline parallei

  • Lifetime Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3166
  • Location: Denver, CO
Re: July 2020 Monthly Challenge: Hot dog and hamburger buns
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Everyones' stuff is looking good. I'm still walking around the house with a damp rag on my head trying to keep cool. Carry on...

Offline Yael

  • Supporting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2349
  • Location: A French in China
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: July 2020 Monthly Challenge: Hot dog and hamburger buns
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »
Hello guys, here's my contribution:

I made some kind of mix between Carl's recipe (reply 48 of this thread) and avogadro's (here https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=62556.msg619969#msg619969):

Flour (10.3% protein Russian flour, the yellow bag I often use) 95% + 5% for the Tangzhong (the roux, Carl) total 100% (500g flour)
Hydration 25% + 25% for the Tangzhong total 50%
IDY:2%
Salt:2%
Magimix: 0,4%
Milk Powder: 6%
Potato flakes: 3%
Egg: 18% (2 eggs 90g)
Butter: 10%
Sugar: 8%

Make the tangzhong and let it cool down.
Then in mixing bowl: TZ + eggs + water + four + dry except salt and sugar
After 1 or 2 min mixing add sugar and salt
Then fast mixing (KA style mixer with 2 hooks) and add the butter (total 5 to 7 min mixing, forgot to check), FDT 30~31°C

RTF 45 min at 29°C
Shaping 8x122g breads
Another 1.5H at same RT
Baking 15-16 min @210~220°C

Top browned in 4 min  :o
So I added some aluminum foil to protect from the heat (and lowered the top temperature)
Total bake 15-16 min.

Result and thoughts:
- very soft! I would give it a 9/10! When they were cooling down, they wouldn't even hold the shape (they would droop, if it's the correct word), I took it as a good sign for softness!!
- huge butter flavor, which surprised me, because if was better than when I tried brioche with 20% butter.
- but a little bit too brioche
Next time, I'll try without the eggs and with less butter, even though I know it contributes to softness.

Made sandwiches: stir-fried chicken and pesto; mayonnaise tuna and cucumber. It was nice!

PS: I took the 1st pic when fermentation already started so they already inflated a little bit. I added melted butter on top at this time, but just once.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T