A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Totinos style crust  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Totinos style crust
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:44:35 AM »
Out of boredom and just sheer curiosity, I'd like to create a homemade Totinos style crust.  Truth be told I grew up on these and still enjoy them from time to time.  I'm not even sure if it would be classified as a cracker crust.   Any thoughts or ideas?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:22:45 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Totinos style crust
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:57 AM »
I always liked the pizza rolls.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Zing

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:34:27 AM »
Thirty-five years ago, Totino's pizza were good. The words I use to describe today's Totino's The New York Times won't print. Decades of tinkering by Pillsbury, later General Mills, culminated in the byproducts masterpiece sold in supermarkets and other retailers today.

Interestingly, both Jeno's and Totino's pizza sold today by General Mills were once covered by patents whose named inventors included Jeno Paulucci and Rose W. Totino.

If you lookup US Patent 4,170,659 filed 1977, it discusses a way of making that Totino's crust. No guarantee they used that exact method in any production runs, but it is a starting point.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:39:59 AM by Zing »

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:15 AM »
Dog food? Seriously?  What is wrong with you?  Don't come on my post where I'm trying to replicate something and call it dog food. 

I ate Totinos 35 yrs ago and it's the same as I fondly remembered it as a kid. 

Chau
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:37:17 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 02:11:09 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that myself so I returned to name it "byproducts masterpiece".

Have you read the ingredients list lately?
https://www.totinos.com/products/pepperoni-party-pizza/

I got upset a few weeks ago after making a cake with Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake mix. All the markets around here are selling it for a buck a box. They changed the recipe and the cake did not turn out as good as before. Did some surfing and found a linked-in bio in which some food technologist bragged she saved the company $400K a year by reducing sugar. The Imperial Margarine of my youth is now called Imperial Spread. Jeno's and Totino's frozen pizzas. Breyer's Ice Creams. A lot of flavors can't even call themselves ice cream anymore- its now dairy dessert. Land O' Lakes Yellow American Cheese which now goes by such names as American Deli Cheese. Yeah, their foodservice division, the last time I looked, still makes a legal American Cheese. But the stuff you get in the supermarket doesn't meet federal requirements for American Cheese. All that whey their natural cheesemaking operations produce has to go someplace. Entennmann's cakes - Fugeddabout it. Pizza Hut Thin N' Crispy pizza - there is a thread here on "rolling your own" because it is not as good as it used to be. And the list goes on.

I have this theory that when these food technologists make changes to get themselves a big bonus, they do it subtle enough that it is not noticed right away. But after you try this new recipe a few times, especially if you are not starving, you begin to notice something is off, but you can't put your finger on what it is. The old expression, "a thousand little cuts", comes into play here.

The products I mentioned above were once all very popular. But they messed with them. They are no longer the same product.

I wish you good luck in making your own version of Totino's. I'm sure you will use better quality ingredients, and it will taste more like what was sold 35 years ago.

Offline Zing

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »
There is another thread here started in 2011 on this subject with some recent additions, including a link to a Youtube video:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13185

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:15:04 PM »
Thank you.  I'll check it out.  I did make a few and froze them.  Will bake one in a few days.

In checking out that thread and the posted recipe, I do like the idea of frying the crust.  I think that gives an accurate texture and mouthful to the crust.   I brushed mine with oil before parbaking but I'll try par-frying next.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:23:40 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Zing

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »
These commercials jogged some memories:
Tom Bosley narrates.

A Debra Clinger commercial:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:54:58 AM by Zing »

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
    • Foodie Buddha - Not Any New Content
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
Totinos is the jam ... my friends give me %$# about it but i don't care - my grandmother served it to me on friday nights in the 80s... still pissed they got rid of the fennel seeds. grovel. also miss the round shape. grovel again. i'm going to have to recreate this now myself.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/foodiebuddha/

Setup 1 - Breville Pizzaiolo - BPZ820
Setup 2 - Miele Gas w. 1/2" baking steel
Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline Zing

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 09:46:27 AM »
. also miss the round shape. grovel again. i'm going to have to recreate this now myself.

Funny you should mention you miss the round shape. One of the articles that turned up in my search was an article on why they went to a square shape. It's well known that you can get more stuff in a square space than a round space. So, to get more packaging density or whatever term they used, Totino's and Jeno's went to a square pizza shape. They also started packing it in a plastic bag. All this to SAVE MONEY. A few years ago, Wakefern's ShopRite or PriceRite chain, can't remember which, was flogging Jeno's in that new square shape packed in a plastic bag for a buck. I hadn't seen Jeno's in stores for years and years, and for grins and giggles bought one. Except that the cashier was inexperienced and packed it in such a way that it was steamrolled, helped along by the warm temperatures on the way home. No protection from a cardboard box.

I took a look online and none of the Ahold Delhaize or Wakefern chains around here are selling any Jeno's or Totino's pizzas right now.  Pizza rolls, yes but no pizzas.

Offline Zing

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »
I vaguely remember reading this article a long time ago:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/10/a-pizza-my-mind-the-best-frozen-pizza-period.html

Adam Kuban had a completely different take on Totino's than I do. At the time he wrote that article, the recipe was already much like it is today.

If you were to take a "Find and Replace" computer program and replace the names Totino's-Jeno's,  Totino's and Jeno's with 'General Mills' in the article above, you would have a review not colored by past memories. It explains why this product still sells, albeit in the lower-tier grocery outlets.

My complaint with present day Totino's is not with the crust, but with the toppings. But if you are trying to create a homemade Totinos style crust like Jackie Tran is, the old patent is a roadmap. They even give the crust recipe:

lbs/batch                     % by wt.
Wheat Flour                                                              600.0                           60.65
Water                                                                        356.6                          36.04
Yeast (Dry)                                                                  12.7                            1.28
Salt                                                                               9.2                              .93
Dough Conditioner(Sodium stearoyl 2 lactylate e.g.
Reduce 150 by Patco Co., KansasCity, Mo.)                  3.0                              .30
Soy Oil                                                                          7.9                              .80     
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                 989.4                       100.00

Of course, you still need to figure out what flour to use. But you KNOW it will be a General Mills or Pillsbury Foodservice/Industrial flour!!!!!!!!

Reduce 150 is still made by one of the divisions of Netherlands-based Corbion.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:06:04 PM by Zing »

Offline RogerC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »
Totinos rocks, always in the freezer along with Jack's hearty bites (which I can only find at Dollar General)
- rog

Offline frankenfab

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 04:22:16 PM »
I like a Totino's Supreme every once in a while myself.

Zing--"The products I mentioned above were once all very popular. But they messed with them. They are no longer the same product."

Kraft Original BBQ sauce is another product that has been ruined.
Frank (the fabricator)

Offline politon

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
I want to give it a shot, so I picked up some SSL (Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate). The patent mentions that the flour is 11.8% protein, so my assumption is that KAAP will work fine.

Chau, did you ever do any further experimentation?

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 08:36:53 PM »
I want to give it a shot, so I picked up some SSL (Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate). The patent mentions that the flour is 11.8% protein, so my assumption is that KAAP will work fine.

Chau, did you ever do any further experimentation?

No,  I made a few attempts and got wrapped up in NP.  I still have this on the backburner and will pick it up again sometime.  Keep me posted on your progress. 

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 05:00:46 PM »
I like a Totino's Supreme every once in a while myself.

Zing--"The products I mentioned above were once all very popular. But they messed with them. They are no longer the same product."

Kraft Original BBQ sauce is another product that has been ruined.

Bullseye BBQ sauce, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, the list goes on and on. We could probable make a whole new thread on products that fall into this category. The food chain has been bastardized all the way down to the wheat, fats and sweeteners used as "raw" ingredients.

As for Totino's Pizza..... I can't say I get any kicks from this one. Although I would say I fondly remember eating Mr. P's pizza as a child and it was always loaded with pepperoni chunks.  :drool: It doesn't get any cheaper and more synthetic than that.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »
I think the OP was 8 days late.
John

Offline Bisquick

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 11:49:17 PM »
This response is a little late, as I've not been to the forum in a little while, but a short time ago, in an attempt to make a cracker style crust, I made something very similar to a Totinos. In my experience with cracker crusts, and with the one that turned out like Totinos, I've found the hydration that works best for me personally is 45% water to 100% flour, with very minimal amounts of dough conditioner/softener added (by conditioner I mean sugar and/or vegetable oil, and I use vegetable not olive oil because whenever I've used olive oil in dough it tends to solidify in the fridge so I save it for the sauce, as the sauce is wet enough to prevent this). By using 45% hydration and very minimal amounts of sugar and oil, (think 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per 200 grams of flour) I can get a dough that's dry enough to bake up rather similar to a cracker but definitely pliable enough to gently knead into a ball after a 45 minute autolyse. As impressed as I am by those who use laminated doughs, I simply don't have the energy to make such an effort. After proofing for a few hours and resting in the refrigerator overnight, I would recommend using a rolling pin to evenly flatten the dough and then giving it a gentle stretch/toss by hand afterwards to incorporate a small amount of air into it, thus giving it a more airy, slightly flaky texture. As for a sauce, even though most red sauce recipes generally call for adding both sugar and olive oil, I would make an a well educated guess (from eating Totinos for many years) that the sauce used on those pizzas is not much more than tomato sauce, salt, and Italian seasoning. (When I worked at Cassano's Pizza, which if you are not familiar, is a thin crust pizza place, we made a sauce almost exactly like it, only a little thicker.  It was nothing more than tomato paste and water with oregano sprinkled on top of every pizza. It was always amusing to hear a customer rave about the sauce only to tell them how simple the ingredients were).     

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »
If anybody's interested, here's the bakers %'s for the food pusher (http://www.food-pusher.com/2015/10/fried-pizza-crust.html?m=1) fried crust:

354.6g AP flour (100%) [ed. I weighed gold medal better for bread flour as it's ~12% or closer to orig flour, and did not pack]
261.7g WATER, WARM (73.8%)
20.9g OLIVE OIL, SALAD, YELLOW (5.9%)
4.6g IDY yeast (1.3%)
4g sugar (1.1%)
5.6g KOSHER salt (1.6%)

Totals
Dough weight:   651.4g

YEP. I actually weighed it out. Kinda high HYD, so maybe it'll be softer inside like origional?

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
Thank you for posting this.   My last experiment I did with this crust I also brushed the bottom of the crust with oil after par baking it.  I will definitely experiment with frying the crust now.