A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Today Sicilian Pepperoni Pizza Recipe  (Read 1524 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Today Sicilian Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 10:22:12 AM »
Looking at this recipe, it seems to me there must be some mistake on either the pan size or the dough batch size. I could see if the recipe was supposed to yield two dough balls, or if the pan was supposed to be much larger, but by my calculations, this recipe produces over 1 kg of dough for a 1" x 12" x 16" pan, which sounds totally insane to me. That comes out to about 18.5 g of dough per square inch, as I figure it, which has to be at least three times the standard amount. I can't see how a pan that size could even hold that much dough without it going over the sides after rising.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:10:36 PM »
that's about .19 Thickness Factor ,  on the thicker side but I have seen some pretty thick sicilians.     For a 1/2 sheet pan it would be about .155 TF , still a little thick but would be fine in a standard height sheet pan.   I usually use about .14 for mine
Deb

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 01:55:59 PM »
that's about .19 Thickness Factor ,  on the thicker side but I have seen some pretty thick sicilians.     For a 1/2 sheet pan it would be about .155 TF , still a little thick but would be fine in a standard height sheet pan.   I usually use about .14 for mine
Looks like you're right. I was comparing the results from my own Sicilian pizza I made recently with a pan that was 8.5" by 12" with a 632 g dough ball,  and calculating that area against the area of the pan recommended for this recipe and the dough ball size the recipe yields, but I guess I must have screwed up on my math somewhere the first time I ran the numbers. The new figure I'm coming up with for the recipe here is 5.42 g per square inch, which sounds right on the money. Good catch. I think this recipe looks like one I'll probably try, and just scale it down to match my pan size.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 02:26:11 PM »
Another thing that's weird a bit is that they list ADY yeast, yet in the instructions, they do not do the time tested soak in water 1st method. Could they have meant to list IDY? It is a high percentage of yeast, consistant with a same day dough, ie. direct method. it comes up to about 1.3% yeast which is about right for same day dough. I use 1.3-1.6% IDY for same day dough with good results.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »
The foregoing posts prompted me to calculate the thickness factor for the dough in question. If my math was correct, I came up with a thickness factor of 0.194. That seems to line up with what Deb found. Some time ago, I posted thickness factors for different types of pizzas and for the Sicilian style I cited a thickness factor in the range of 0.12-0.13, although the late Big Dave Ostrander once used a thickness factor of around 0.15 that I cited here:

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12243.msg115759;topicseen#msg115759

Pizza-Face also raises a very good point about using ADY in a non-rehydrated manner. That is uncommon although I have read many cases where people, including professionals, use ADY in dry form. Often the amount of ADY is on the high side to compensate for the fact that dry non-rehydrated ADY slows down the fermentation. Even I have played around with using dry ADY, as I so noted in these posts:

Reply 35 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3985.msg37060#msg37060

Reply 48 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg64308#msg64308

I used a lot less ADY in the above cases because I was trying to make doughs that were fermented over a period of several days, not a little over one day in the case of the Pizza Today recipe.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that Pizza Today intended that the yeast be ADY, not IDY. And that, along with a little over a day of fermentation, could in part explain why so much ADY (about 1.4%) is used in their recipe.

Peter

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 05:25:08 PM »
The thickness of the dough/pan in question is 5.4862 g/in^2 or 0.19352 oz/in^2.
The yeast flies south in November.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
The thickness of the dough/pan in question is 5.4862 g/in^2 or 0.19352 oz/in^2.
November,

My actual thickness factor that I calculated was 0.19375. ;D

Peter

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 05:37:31 PM »
November,

My actual thickness factor that I calculated was 0.19375. ;D

Peter

I used FoodSim to convert the olive oil measurement. The weight for 1 tablespoon is 13.45 g.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 06:02:29 PM »
I used FoodSim to convert the olive oil measurement. The weight for 1 tablespoon is 13.45 g.
November,

I used the number for olive oil that I used in the forum's dough calculating tools, specifically, 3 teaspoons x 0.1587301 = 0.4762803 oz. Multiplied by 28.35, I get 13.502546 grams. I think we are both safe ;D.

Peter

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
November,

I used the number for olive oil that I used in the forum's dough calculating tools, specifically, 3 teaspoons x 0.1587301 = 0.4762803 oz. Multiplied by 28.35, I get 13.502546 grams. I think we are both safe ;D.

Peter

Peter,

USDA says 13.4116 g/T. I'm pretty sure the FoodSim datum was based on an actual measurement. For fun I'll work on a theoretical value based on the lipid profile. I've done that with oils in the past when reverse engineering commercial products or when I want more precision than what I can measure.