A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grimaldi's Calzone Recipe?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
Grimaldi's Calzone Recipe?
« on: June 05, 2021, 02:29:39 PM »
Pizza dough is used for it.  If it's just a plain calzone, the calzone filling it scooped onto the dough.  If the calzone has toppings, the toppings are cooked in the oven for a few minutes first.  Then the calzone filling + the toppings are mixed together in a bowl.  The filling is spread out to bottom half of the dough skin.  3 holes of 1 inch length are poked on the top.  Fresh mozz cheese is put on top of the filling.  The slices of cheese should be close together, almost touching (like a third of a pinky finger apart).

The handle of the pizza cutter is used to seal the calzone shut and the pizza cutter is used to trim the edges.  Then, the calzone is patted down by hand to make sure the filling spread out and not too vertical.  A liberal amount of olive oil is patted on top of it.  If it has toppings, the topping are put inside of the holes on top so the server knows which calzone is which (if more than 1 calzone is being made).

I think the calzone filling is ricotta + heavy cream (?) + egg to emulsify it (the menu says it contains eggs).  There are little black spots in it so I assume it has a very light amount of spices (salt and pepper?).

The calzone sauce is very herbal and fragrant.  I'm not sure what ingredients are in it.  It stays warm in a hot pot the whole day.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T