A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help identifying and making this style of pizza from Tuscany!  (Read 295 times)

Offline degustatore

• I Love Pizza!
Help identifying and making this style of pizza from Tuscany!
« on: October 22, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
Hello everyone

My first post, so hopefully I'm in the right place!

Can anyone kindly help me with identifying the style/type of pizza this is from Tuscany please?

I've included a few photos of the pizza taken on a few different nights to help get an idea of the consistency.

I think it is a Romana style. It is baked in a wood fired oven. It doesn't taste like Neapolitan pizza.

I'd LOVE to be able to make this in my Effeuno as it is more the style that I prefer, so any pointers on how to approach it would be amazing! To me, it looks like they pre cook the onion but I don't know how to get the cheese to melt like that in the Effeuno - I've only really made Neapolitan pizza so far and the cheese doesn't melt like that. Would this style be cooked at a lower heat like 375?

Thanks!
Rich
Rich

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010, Caputo Pizzeria, Eat Wholesome Organic.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Help identifying and making this style of pizza from Tuscany!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:35:38 PM »
Just try a NY style pizza recipe to see how close you get.
I'd guess you are just using the wrong type of cheese for the melt you are looking for. What are you using?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 01:55:37 PM »
Can anyone kindly help me with identifying the style/type of pizza this is from Tuscany please?

I've included a few photos of the pizza taken on a few different nights to help get an idea of the consistency.

I think it is a Romana style. It is baked in a wood fired oven. It doesn't taste like Neapolitan pizza.

I'd LOVE to be able to make this in my Effeuno as it is more the style that I prefer, so any pointers on how to approach it would be amazing! To me, it looks like they pre cook the onion but I don't know how to get the cheese to melt like that in the Effeuno - I've only really made Neapolitan pizza so far and the cheese doesn't melt like that. Would this style be cooked at a lower heat like 375?

I think it's what I call pizza classica, the pizza served in most of Europe and in Italy (except for in Naples).  You hit the nail on the head with 375C!  Baked for about 2.5-3 minutes.

I've documented some of my bakes in a thread, starting from here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52331.msg670827#msg670827
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline degustatore

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
Just try a NY style pizza recipe to see how close you get.
I'd guess you are just using the wrong type of cheese for the melt you are looking for. What are you using?

Thanks for your reply - I definitely intend to give NY style a try!
Rich

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010, Caputo Pizzeria, Eat Wholesome Organic.

Offline degustatore

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »
I think it's what I call pizza classica, the pizza served in most of Europe and in Italy (except for in Naples).  You hit the nail on the head with 375C!  Baked for about 2.5-3 minutes.

I've documented some of my bakes in a thread, starting from here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52331.msg670827#msg670827

You're right about Europe! I've had the same style in different parts of France and I would say that in Tuscany (and most of the other parts we've visited in Italy) most of the pizza is in the classic style - not Neapolitan. I like Neapolitan but nowhere near as much as the classic style.

I'll move across to your Classica thread and join you over there, if that's OK!
Rich

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
Sure, we're all here to learn and to exchange information!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.