A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Valoroso's  (Read 1117 times)

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
Re: Valoroso's
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
I have to agree with Andrew Bellucci.
He knows his pizza sauce,I have a case of Alta Cucina and Valorous and will mix both cans
when I get around too it.Opening both cans and doing what Andrew Bellucci says about the mix,I
think I will hold off till I have more containers to store in my freezer......JT

Ya 2 #10 cans makes a lot of sauce, if your talking for home use.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 10:36:24 PM »
Ya 2 #10 cans makes a lot of sauce, if your talking for home use.

And 2 cans is peanuts in a restaurant.  :-D

We are a small, family owned place, and we easily go through 16 cans of tomatoes per week.(upwards to 20 cans on a busy week).

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »
And 2 cans is peanuts in a restaurant.  :-D

We are a small, family owned place, and we easily go through 16 cans of tomatoes per week.(upwards to 20 cans on a busy week).

So you own a pizzeria! If memory serves me correct didn't you comment somewhere that you're on the east coast (NB). My wife and I are planning our first trip out there next summer. Trip was planned last summer after I retired but held off with the outbreak. What's the name of you restaurant? I'd like to put it on my list of places to stop, and eat in this case!
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2021, 04:31:20 PM »
Here is a short link that supports what I am saying about the 74-40's, Valoroso, Alta Cucina & Saporito di Pomodoro relationship. As you will read this is coming from a Stanislaus rep (or past rep) so I trust that information.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20035.0

As far as the 7/11 & Tomato Magic, it is the same tomato, I can't recall exactly where on the forum I found that info but I have come across it in a few reads more then once. I can't say for sure but I think memeber Scott R is one of the sources I read this from and a member that knows his tomato products. I might not be able to find that info right now to prove what I'm saying is right, but I guarantee you won't find info to prove me wrong.

As far as taste is concerned, it makes sense that the Tomato Magic is sweeter, I said same tomato but not necessarily the same contents in the can. 7/11's are combined with a puree containing the skins and more tomato pectin, pectin is bitter tasting, skins contain a nutrient called flavonols which are also bitter tasting. I'm not saying that 7/11's taste bitter (I honestly haven't tried them yet) but it would make sense that they don't taste as sweet as Tomato Magic.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
My Stanislaus regional rep is awesome. At this point he is a friend as much as a business contact. He has been to the dog and pony show at the factory and done the tours of the fields etc.  He told me that they only use 1 variety of tomato to make all of their products. 

This goes against their website that mentions plum and pear tomatoes for different products. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 07:53:21 PM »
My Stanislaus regional rep is awesome. At this point he is a friend as much as a business contact. He has been to the dog and pony show at the factory and done the tours of the fields etc.  He told me that they only use 1 variety of tomato to make all of their products. 

This goes against their website that mentions plum and pear tomatoes for different products.

That would make sense to me. I'd think it's more efficient to grow one type of tomato.

Despite the use if the word "pear" on the front and ingredient list, the description may imply that the real difference is that Valoroso has a heavier puree in the can.

For restaurateurs featuring the hearty, robust food of Italy’s rural traditions, we are proud to recommend Valoroso® “Robusto” Style Pear Tomatoes! For firmer, heartier tomato texture and bolder flavor, Valoroso® is topped in heavy “robusto” style juice. It is ideal for hearty, full-bodied trattoria-style sauces and dishes.

Valoroso® is extensively hand-sorted and hand-packed with fresh basil leaves for identical consistency, can after can, year after year. The Gold Standard among pear tomatoes.

Matt

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2021, 07:51:23 PM »

That's interesting, 2 sales rep's from the same company with 2 different stories.

In the link I posted above the rep specifies "The 74/40's are a combination of pear and plum tomatoes so they are Alta Cucinas and Valaroso tomatoes." Why would he say that? Why would Stanislaus put right on the ingredients list "vine ripened fresh pear tomatoes"? I would have thought food companies have to put on their ingredients list what's actually in their products, not something else, isn't there regulations on something like that by the FDA.

Not saying your wrong (or your sales rep), or trying to disagree, I just find this to be a little peculiar.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 10:38:02 PM »
That would make sense to me. I'd think it's more efficient to grow one type of tomato.

Despite the use if the word "pear" on the front and ingredient list, the description may imply that the real difference is that Valoroso has a heavier puree in the can.

For restaurateurs featuring the hearty, robust food of Italy’s rural traditions, we are proud to recommend Valoroso® “Robusto” Style Pear Tomatoes! For firmer, heartier tomato texture and bolder flavor, Valoroso® is topped in heavy “robusto” style juice. It is ideal for hearty, full-bodied trattoria-style sauces and dishes.

Valoroso® is extensively hand-sorted and hand-packed with fresh basil leaves for identical consistency, can after can, year after year. The Gold Standard among pear tomatoes.

But at the same time, that wording would seem to imply, to me at least, that those tomatoes are suitable for a more savory and less sweet application, i.e. pasta sauce instead of pizza sauce.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

wordpress