A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Lloyd Pans Sticking Even With Crisco  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Pizzabobs143

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Lloyd Pans Sticking Even With Crisco
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »
Also what helps with the sticking is flouring your dough makes it way easier to stretch out and helps with the sticking tremendously.

Offline Pizzabobs143

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 03:19:08 PM »
Pans attached

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2022, 03:22:42 PM »
What size are your pans?   You might want to check our pans out.   We just released them, and they are 22 gauge cold rolled steel and the same ones we use in our pizza with no sticking.  They weight 34.5 ounces, are the same as the now defunct Allied Metal Spinning pans, and give great even bakes and will last a lifetime.

https://www.swhenterprises.com/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:30:54 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 05:11:58 PM »
Pans attached

What tools are you using to remove the pizza from these pans?

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »
What tools are you using to remove the pizza from these pans?

We use a long handle black plastic spatula to get our Sicilians out of the pans - like you use to turn things at home.  It works great. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLDZ2V2/?tag=pmak-20

Offline shawkyns

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2022, 04:16:19 AM »
Just ordered Walters pans..  Cant wait to try them. never done a grandma style before, but I have been using the Detroit Steel pans for awhile making DSP, and they work so much better than the old lloyds I was using before.  If you want to make DSP, I would try the steel over Al any day of the week.

Offline shawkyns

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2022, 04:19:34 AM »
forgot to say I use a combo of butter and oil in the pan before I put the dough in.  grease it up with the butter on all sides including the corner creases, then a tablespoon or so of oil on top before putting the dough in.  usually pops right out without any problem.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2022, 03:42:01 PM »
Just ordered Walters pans..  Cant wait to try them. never done a grandma style before, but I have been using the Detroit Steel pans for awhile making DSP, and they work so much better than the old lloyds I was using before.  If you want to make DSP, I would try the steel over Al any day of the week.

Thanks for trying our pans and we look forward to what you think.  The 22 gauge cold rolled steel heats steady and evenly.  Aluminum heats fast and uneven. They fall apart quickly as well when used in a commercial setting.  Our pans, like the sadly gone Allied Metal Spinning pans, will last multiple life times in home and commercial use.  In the long run a much cheaper purchase over aluminum and the thin steel pans out there today. 

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2022, 04:50:38 PM »
I'm not clear on why people use steel pans for pan pizza. I bought some, and they were useless. They didn't heat up fast enough to brown anything well. I ended up using seasoned aluminum quarter sheets.

I just made a Sicilian with very sticky dough, and I deliberately stuck cheese on the rim so it would burn against the pan. It popped right out, as they usually do.

On another board, I posted a photo of the tool I use to remove Sicilians from pans. It's made from a 14" pizza tray. Works like a dream. I'll repost the photo here.

I can't imagine using a scraper. They're made to scrape, after all. A scraper will take seasoning right off. So will a metal spatula. A silicone spatula won't scrape, but there is no way you can lift a pie with one. My tool cost $5.75, it will support an entire 9" x 13" pie, and it won't scrape the pan.

I cut it on my table saw and bent it in a Moxon vise. You can do it with primitive tools, though. A jigsaw should work. Just be sure to sand the edges of the tool after you make it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 05:09:20 PM by Puzzolento »
The man's job is to make decisions. The woman's job is to criticize them.

Sicilian pizza is Godzilla. Thin pizza is Japan.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2022, 06:34:52 PM »
I'm not clear on why people use steel pans for pan pizza. I bought some, and they were useless. They didn't heat up fast enough to brown anything well. I ended up using seasoned aluminum quarter sheets.

I just made a Sicilian with very sticky dough, and I deliberately stuck cheese on the rim so it would burn against the pan. It popped right out, as they usually do.

On another board, I posted a photo of the tool I use to remove Sicilians from pans. It's made from a 14" pizza tray. Works like a dream. I'll repost the photo here.

I can't imagine using a scraper. They're made to scrape, after all. A scraper will take seasoning right off. So will a metal spatula. A silicone spatula won't scrape, but there is no way you can lift a pie with one. My tool cost $5.75, it will support an entire 9" x 13" pie, and it won't scrape the pan.

I cut it on my table saw and bent it in a Moxon vise. You can do it with primitive tools, though. A jigsaw should work. Just be sure to sand the edges of the tool after you make it.

Glad you like your pans :)  If had an Allied Metal Spinning pan you would understand steel, They have been the staple of NY/NJ/PA/CT for 75 years and some pizzerias are still using the original pans from 75 years ago. 

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2022, 07:35:23 PM »
I didn't realize this was in Shop Talk. Perhaps if I were a restaurateur and wanted peak durability, I would try to find a way to make steel work. Plenty of professional bakers use sheet pans, though.

I bought aluminum sheet pans, as well as steel pans, while I was trying to duplicate New York Sicilian, with which I am very familiar. The steel pans didn't cut it. They just didn't brown well or create crunchy crusts. My aluminum pans make the best pies I've ever eaten anywhere, and they don't stick. The crusts are crunchy, and I can get them as brown as I want.

No professional shop I've tried has ever come close to my pies. I have no reason to ever buy a Sicilian pizza again, because I know I do it better.

The pans I got may well be from Allied. They are the same pans I saw in New York pizzerias. That's where I got the idea I needed them.

They are mild steel, 12" square, with thick wire in the rims. I bought them from a pizza supply company. They look exactly like the Allied BB1212. They are sitting in my cupboard behind some cake pans I never use. They have been unused for about 13 years because they didn't compare to sheet pans. I'll post a photo.

I tried to throw my steel pans out, but I felt bad about it after spending money on them, so they sit and collect dust. I considered giving them away, but I don't know what they're good for. When I teach people how to make Sicilian, I tell them to buy what I bought.

I see them selling for $28 each, which is crazy. A quarter sheet, made from aluminum, which is costlier than steel, is around 5 bucks. Granted, it's a little smaller, but it also has more edge per unit of area, and nobody wants a slice with no edges! Everyone hates those inner slices. Also, you don't have to worry about aluminum rusting. I just clean the oil off and put mine away. My steel pans got wet at some point, so if I ever learn of a reason to use them, I'll have to sand them and re-season.

I'm sure steel pans have their virtues, though. If you say they're great, I'm sure they are, for the right people.

The man's job is to make decisions. The woman's job is to criticize them.

Sicilian pizza is Godzilla. Thin pizza is Japan.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2022, 12:16:52 PM »
After reading all the comments about Lloyds, I feel like i got lucky with 'em. i seasoned it once when purchased and never had any issues since. i was thinking about buying lot more ...now that thought got put on hold ;)
Thanks...
Andy
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback. Here’s an update on my situation. I tested out a couple of pans from Detroit style pizza co and I couldn’t get them to work properly in my oven. I think they’re just too slow to heat up as the bottoms were too light, whereas the ones cooked in the Lloyd pans immediately after on the same deck were perfect. I think my oven just can’t dump enough btu’s to use steel pans.

I did have a great improvement with the Lloyd pans . I switched from shortening back to olive oil and it improved greatly. Still have a bit of sticking around the cheese crown but much improved.. that said I called Lloyds for a quote and their prices went up 25% since last year. I decided to think about it. But they shipped the order without my authorization!!!  $2k I Order…

Unfortunately I don’t think Walter’s Sicilian pans would help me. My decks are only 20” wide so I usually can fit 2 Detroit per deck. If I used a 12 x 12 that would limit me to only one pan per deck.

What I’ve noticed with the Lloyd’s is that they’re really not meant to be seasoned. In fact , the mfr says that excessive fat buildup can impede the release. So we’ve been washing with soap and water every other use and it’s improved things greatly. In the in between uses we wipe and scrape and oil again.