A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Bible Inspired Thick base Siciliano Pizza Pie  (Read 1241 times)

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
Pizza Bible Inspired Thick base Siciliano Pizza Pie
« on: April 21, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
Hello, friends.
 I don't know if it's just me, however, I was having a very hard time following Tony Gemignani's formula for Sicilian pizza with poolish. I ended up doing what I always do. My own thing. I kept the 70% hydration and used my natural yeast starter for the poolish.  This is what I came up with. I am looking at a Saturday afternoon bake.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Bible Inspired Thick base Siciliano Pizza Pie
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 09:19:42 PM »
I just got a copy of "The Pizza Bible" to get his take on Sicilian style pizzas. I'm a bit confused as well. Maybe because I'm basically a newcomer and/or his method of explaining is a tad bit awkward for me. So, I'm just going to go with the dough recipe that's worked very well for my poolish Neopolitan style and just add the olive oil and diastatic malt as his recipe calls for and see what happens.

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 05:20:47 AM »
I just got a copy of "The Pizza Bible" to get his take on Sicilian style pizzas. I'm a bit confused as well. Maybe because I'm basically a newcomer and/or his method of explaining is a tad bit awkward for me. So, I'm just going to go with the dough recipe that's worked very well for my poolish Neopolitan style and just add the olive oil and diastatic malt as his recipe calls for and see what happens.

Hey, Pa.

Good luck with your pie, please post up your results. I found this video showing the panning of a Sicilian dough interesting. His website has some interesting info. I found it most interesting that his formula calls for significantly more dough than Andrew Bellucci calls for here. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69848.0

This is the
Herminio Coca formula

I am going to stick with my formula and dough weight and concentrate on less handling better proofing to increase the height. If that does not work I may increase the dough amount.
https://www.theartofpizzamaking.com/sicilian-pizza-recipe-authentic/

Thanks for letting me know you also found the pizza Bible formula hard to follow.

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
Hey there Gumba...
thanks for the comeback and great information. I loved the links you gave and the video shed some real light on how to handle the dough!! I guess I'm just a visual learner. Once is see something I usually get it quickly. I also liked the info on using math to scale a recipe up or down based on pan size. Very cool! If I don't make a mess of it, I'll post a picture of my pie. Cheers, and thanks again.

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 07:28:54 PM »
As promised, here's a shot of the finished product. First time efforts payed off well. Good texture and taste.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:30:49 PM by PaPawsPizza »

Offline PizzAaron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 07:48:34 PM »
Curious what you didn't like about Tony's recipe.....

I tried it for the first time this weekend and I thought it came out incredible.. interested to hear your thoughts.  Your pie looks awesome - def more substance.  Gonna have to give it a go!