A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Poolish fermentation time. Is there a limit?  (Read 627 times)

Offline Pizza_reviews_on_the_go

• I Love Pizza!
Poolish fermentation time. Is there a limit?
« on: April 29, 2022, 02:53:48 AM »
I heard 2 conflicting bits of advice regarding a poolish starter. You can keep it in the fridge for weeks and still use it without it getting too sour. And I also heard that you should use it after 24 hours for best results and flavors. Is this subjective or not?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Poolish fermentation time. Is there a limit?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 06:58:05 AM »
Just like fermentation time on a dough, when its ready is dependent on how much yeast is used and what temperature it is stored at.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
Starters can be passed on for decades, even centuries properly cared for!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 03:42:12 PM »

The Oregon Trail starter has been kept going since the mid 1800's.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 08:46:16 PM »
I don't know about the theoretical shelf life of a poolish, but I really can't see any practical benefit of using one that's weeks old, either. Yes, it would probably add some depth of flavor, but the flavor that's been developed over that much time might not be entirely pleasant, and I can't see how it could possibly perform it's duty as a preferment as well as a poolish that's much fresher.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 09:11:04 PM »
The limit I've seen mentioned here has been 3 days. I've often done two with no reduction in results. Probably 3 but can't find notes on that

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:50 PM »
A poolish is nothing like a sourdough starter, though. They're a one and done thing. Sourdough starters are continuously fed and reused.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 05:33:11 AM »
A poolish is nothing like a sourdough starter, though. They're a one and done thing. Sourdough starters are continuously fed and reused.

The original question is regarding poolish. Poolish is a high hydration preferment. As opposed to a biga which is a somewhat lower hydration preferment. As mentioned before you will encounter the same problems with a poolish or a final dough with regards to over fermentation. The problem with over fermenting is enzyme action will begin to break down and degrade the four. Resulting in off-taste as well as texture issues.

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »
The original question is regarding poolish. Poolish is a high hydration preferment. As opposed to a biga which is a somewhat lower hydration preferment. As mentioned before you will encounter the same problems with a poolish or a final dough with regards to over fermentation. The problem with over fermenting is enzyme action will begin to break down and degrade the four. Resulting in off-taste as well as texture issues.
I know. I was just saying that poolish is not fed and reused like sourdough starter.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »
I know. I was just saying that poolish is not fed and reused like sourdough starter.

But I'm assuming it could be fed and reused then become a starter! So poolish, biga, starter, preferment......all siblings in the same family that could be each other given how they are treated and maintained......close cousins at any rate!😊
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:03:38 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 11:17:07 PM »
But I'm assuming it could be fed and reused then become a starter! So poolish, biga, starter, preferment......all siblings in the same family that could be each other given how they are treated and maintained......close cousins at any rate!😊
It already is a starter. I guess I'm not sure what you'd expect it do that a fresh poolish wouldn't. A sourdough starter is maintained mainly to keep the culture in it alive and to give that flavor you can't get with commercially produced yeast. I can't see how feeding and reusing a poolish could give any real benefits. But maybe somebody will chime in and shed some light.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 12:55:56 AM »
I'm chimeless..I agree, one and done

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 06:09:16 AM »
Without examining how it is that siblings could also be cousins, I would point out that Cousin Sourdough has never been fed any commercial yeast. With even the tiniest of yeast addition (0.04% for me), my personal range of use is RT for 12-18 hours. Once, my plans changed and I refrigerated a poolish from the 11 hour mark to 24 hours, then began my final dough with the cold poolish.

-Tony

Offline joefooman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 02:50:17 PM »
I've tried up to a week and feel like it isn't too long.  I will try longer and let you know.

wordpress