A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: General Dough Questions  (Read 373 times)

Offline Fan2311

• I Love Pizza!
General Dough Questions
« on: April 29, 2022, 11:23:32 AM »
Hey everyone just wanted to say thanks for all the info on this forum, it's been incredibly helpful to read through and help with my pizza making process.

I'm currently working on making a dough for a mobile wood fired pizza truck. I love the neapolitan style but have been trying to find a way to get a little more crisp (or just a little less flop) and so far after testing a ton and reading posts on the forum, I'd assume my only option will be to lower the flame and cook longer with a little less heat. I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on this. Generally cooking around 850F deck temp.

My main question would be about fermentation.

Current dough recipe:

Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour
58%-62% hydration (been testing different)
2.2% salt
.336% ADY

Making at least 11.339kg (25lb) at a time in a large commercial Hobart mixer.

24hr bulk CF at ~40degrees followed by 24hr balled at same temp.

1. Would I change my yeast % based on hydration changes or is it not a big enough difference to effect fermentation
2. Would it be beneficial in any way to go straight from mixing into balls for the full 48 hours, or would the balls relax too much in that time?
3. How will taking the balls straight out of the fridge and ready to cook change the pizza as opposed to letting doughs come up to ~60degrees first
4. If I go straight from mixing to balls and into fridge for 48hr, would I keep the same yeast %, or lower it so the balls don't over expand?

Any input would be extremely appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:30:06 AM by Fan2311 »

Offline Chefbaker

• I Love Pizza!
Re: General Dough Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »
Been working on the same thing in my shop. Wood fired with less flop. Couple things come to mind.
Hard to get a crispy pie at 850. 650 to 700 works better.
I never bulk cold ferment large batches of dough. The temp range will be all over the place . Warm in the middle , cold on the edges.
We started using a poolish and it helps alot with structure and getting a crispier pie that holds up in a box better.

Offline Chefbaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 10:31:03 AM »
And you may want to try blending the caputo with an american bread flour . Im currently at 40% central milling ABC and 60% maestro from molino pasini. 63% hydration, .366 % fresh yeast.

Offline Chefbaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:40:26 AM »
Weve found we get much better oven spring and crispiness with room temp dough vs cold dough going into the oven. So we adjust our workflow so the dough is peaking at room temp. We adjusted the water temp so the dough comes out of the mixer at 70 degrees.

2 hours give or take bulk at room temp with stretch and folds every 45 min - hour.

We ball at 300 grams. 14 inch pie.  Cross stack in walkin for 20 minutes. We found if we dont cross stack , the middle of the stack of boxes holds way too much heat and overproofs easily. We are able to use it same  day or next day.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:42:48 AM by Chefbaker »

Offline Chefbaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »
Heres some of the pies were making
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:06:04 PM by Pete-zza »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress