A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Overproofed dough  (Read 276 times)

Offline cmartino87

Overproofed dough
« on: May 17, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »
Hi Everyone, I have been having issues with my dough being over proofed. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Below is my recipe and the dough life.

400g- KA bread flour
1g- .25% Instant SAF yeast
252g- 63% - 41 degree water
7.6g- 1.9% salt
4 g- 1% sugar
7.6g- 1.9% olive oil

Kitchenaid mix- 7 minutes

Dough temp- 64-68 degrees

30 min room temp rest (70 degrees)
48 hr cold ferment

Thank you in advance.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Overproofed dough
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »
cmartino87,

Just looking at your dough formulation and the related details, I do not see anything that looks out of order. For example, using cold water and achieving a 64-68F degrees finished dough temperature would suggest a cold fermentation window of far more than two days without overfermenting, even with the room temperature warmup. So, it would help if you can tell us in detail how you made and processed the dough, and also how you concluded that you may have overfermented the dough. Photos of the dough would also be a big help. Also, please tell us the temperature of your refrigerator or cooler.

About the only thing I can suggest at this point is to reduce the hydration by two or three of percent. I say this because the combination of the hydration and oil percents you are using, that is, 64.9%, is above the rated absorption value of the KABF of about 62%. The oil cannot affect the hydration of the flour but it does have a wetting effect. How you incorporate the oil in the dough can also affect the outcome.

Peter

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
Eliminate the 30 minute room temperature rest as a first step. I never do that for long cold ferments. Then play with colder water or less yeast as next steps. Infinite possible solutions.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 03:32:42 PM »
What transpires between the end of your CF and the time you put it in the oven? Agree that pictures would help.
-Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 06:55:28 PM »
What transpires between the end of your CF and the time you put it in the oven?
Tony,

Thanks for specifically pointing that out. That crossed my mind also and maybe cmartino87 will address matter in response to my post, but it is better to point it out directly so that we do not forget it.

I might add that I once made doughs using a modest amount of yeast, cold water, and low finished dough temperatures, such as cmartino87 made using his recipe, and the dough balls cold fermented for a few weeks. It was the cold temperatures that most governed the results, not the amount of yeast or the hydration value. What also helped was adding the yeast late in the dough mixing process.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T