A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blodgett 1000 from an propane tank  (Read 213 times)

Offline Wicked Awesome

• I Love Pizza!
Blodgett 1000 from an propane tank
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:45:52 AM »
Hey there pizza people, Iím hoping someone can help me out. Iíve seen posts related to this but I can seem to piece all the info togetherÖ I have an older Blodgett 1000 set up for propane, I would like to run it off of a #40 tank. Regulator on the oven, line then regulator at the tank? What size line? And any specific regulator at the tank?
      I can get the oven to fire right up with a regulator at the back and a standard grill line/regulator to the tank. When I turn the temp to the 500-600 it goes out. Seems like itís starving and canít get enough fuel. But I donít know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Blodgett 1000 from an propane tank
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 12:01:51 AM »
I have a 911P that runs on propane for my mobile operation.

I found I need an adjustable regulator on the tank to dial in the gas preasure to match the needs of the oven. You can look up the preasure requirement online. I've also found I need to dial back the preasure to get it warmed up then turn up the preasure a little after a few minutes. Seem like when it's cold it doesn't get enough air in the mix until it warms up (5-15 minutes). I've convinced myself its becasue the as it heats up the expansion somehow allow more air in. I have no actual knowdgle of why.

As far as it going out when you 'turn it to 500 to 600', as I understand it the oven burner only operates on or off. When it reaches temp the thermostat turns it off unitl it falls below the set point then the gas is turned back on. It's not like a range you can turn up the gas flow and get more gas/BTU.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Blodgett 1000 from an propane tank
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:37:50 PM »
A 911P is a completely different oven with nowhere near the btu's or gas needs of a 1000.  Having worked with them on and off for 50 years and having owned the same stack of 1000's - 18 years now at our pizzeria, I have 1word of advice -plumber.  Get yourself a good plumber and have them set up to the specs for the gas input amounts. Once that is done get someone who is skilled in these ovens and have them go through it.   I have seen more of these ovens rigged so dangerously that it is a miracle they haven't blown up and will run with major damage to them.  It will never run right if you don't have it all set up.   Also, if you don't have original stones it will never perform as it should.  See photos of how the stones are notched and GSB stamped on the side of stones. I have them and do not rotate pies during the bake.  Most younger people do not believe this as new ovens all need to rotate pies.  I have done lots of research on these ovens over the years with Norma Knepp.  Here is an article we wrote for PMQ on Frank Mastro who designed the 1000 and his 90 year old daughter told me that when he finished the 1000 it was perfection.  You will see him working on the 1000 prototype with the NYC gas company.   Here are some photos of an original manual I own you need to show the plumber and a bake in our oven. 

https://www.pmq.com/the-pizza-kings-the-strange-sad-story-of-the-industrys-greatest-and-most-tragic-visionaries
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:05:27 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

A D V E R T I S E M E N T