A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Big difference in dough calculators!!! Why???  (Read 360 times)

Offline LeeMajors

• I Love Pizza!
Big difference in dough calculators!!! Why???
« on: May 28, 2022, 05:49:37 AM »
Hi guys.
I have 2 dough calculator apps downloaded on my phone that I use. One is the PizzApp and the other is the Ooni app. When I put in the exact same measurements into both calculators I get very different amounts of yeast. This only happens when I select the cold proof option.
Does anybody have any idea why?
What calculation looks correct?
Here are photos of both app calculations

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Big difference in dough calculators!!! Why???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 06:39:25 AM »
I have no idea why such a big difference for yeast is resulted. The only difference I can see between the two formulas is that the first begins with RT and ends in CF and itís the opposite for the second example.

That aside, the first example calls for 0.07% IDY whereas the second calls for 0.26%. There is a popular formula on the forum that calls for 0.04% IDY, but it begins with a poolish and spends much more time at RT. If I were in your shoes K would be inclined to use the amounts from the second example.

EDIT: Iím speaking only of the choices you presented. Many people here use and like PizzaApp - not sure what happened with this particular calculation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:41:55 AM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:54:02 AM »
Maybe they were developed using different types of yeast that have different power.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline LeeMajors

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:39:43 AM »
I had been using the Ooni app with more yeast, but felt it was slightly overfermenting. I tried the PizzApp this week and it is seriously underfermented. Perhaps next week I will try somewhere on the middle lol

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 10:18:20 AM »
The Ooni calculation for the yeast sounds right on the money to me. 0.08% yeast is doable, but would probably take a poolish to really get it going enough for the dough to be ready within a 3 day time frame, I would say, and with more time at RT. I usually go for 0.2% to 0.3% yeast for CF at 3 days with a poolish myself. I've done it with less yeast, but that's where I like to stay. Experimentation and documentation is really the name of the game. Pick your method and document the results. An app can be very useful for beginners, but in reality, once you get enough experience to understand where you want your numbers to be for any given style, it's just a shortcut that doesn't even save you all that much time.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress