A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by [email protected] on Today at 12:01:11 PM »
Nice looking loaf! Thanks for sharing the link.

I'm always happy to see Bobís Red Mill Dark Rye flour on the shelf at Safeway.

Dave

I know. I was surprised how long it took to find some rye flour locally when I first started looking. Picked up last couple of bags at Natural Grocers. They also have Barley Malt Syrup and a very flavorful active dry yeast in the refrigerated dry goods coolers. Good place to check for harder to find baking supplies.
Prep Equipment / Re: Digital Scale Recommendation Needed
« Last post by kori on Today at 11:57:47 AM »
Any suggestions on how to "get around" this calibration weight thing?  They're sold separately, and due to a sense of entitlement, I feel they should be INCLUDED with the scale.  What other common household object can be used in it's place?

Money, all the weights of money are the same. A bill is exactly 1 gram, a quarter is 5.67 grams ect.....you can get all of those weights on google.
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 11:42:14 AM »
Any suggestions on how to "get around" this calibration weight thing?  They're sold separately, and due to a sense of entitlement, I feel they should be INCLUDED with the scale.  What other common household object can be used in it's place?

Doubt there is anything you could use unless you know the "exact" weight of it.
Dough Clinic / Re: RT proofing question
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 11:27:43 AM »

Is it possible that the poolish wasn't ready yet?

But yes, I guess either more yeast or a higher temperature, though 150F sounds way too warm.

It had risen quite a bit.
That was done in my B&T Proofer set at 78f for 16 hrs (recipe said 14 hrs or overnight).
The first batch was more like 20 hrs and it had peaked and dropped some.  That is why I cut back to 16 hrs which looked good in the morning.

Never really thought about it until now, but I can raise the B&T Proofer to higher temps.  Guess I had a brain fart.  ::)
Have always had it at 78f for pizza dough when it comes out of fridge, just never though to raise it.
Still, I would have to do the final rise in the oven with the trays.  The baguette trays won't fit in the proofer.
I'm guessing they wouldn't fit in one of the reptile egg incubators either.

====================================================================================================

You can also put your dough in the oven and just turn the light on, the light will warm it up a bit.

I had the light on along with the standard proof setting of the oven. Back wall was 83f.

Focaccia Style / Re: Pizza alla Romana
« Last post by Duje on Today at 11:24:19 AM »
Great thread.
I have one question. Do you always use 0.7% fresh yeast?
I'm from Oklahoma and my local Mazzios has has Ken's pizza with Kenís spicy red sauce. And it's one of my favorite pizzas but I can't find the recipe anywhere online. Thanks in advance
New York Style / Re: 24-Hour New York Style Pizza Recipe (Start to Finish)
« Last post by Gags on Today at 11:20:58 AM »
Hi Ryan,

I didn't experience that problem with my formula.

In this instance because the dough conditioner already contains an unspecified enzyme and LDMP contains diastase enzymes, the combination of the two was probably too much. Diastase enzymes breakdown the long starch molecules into sugars. Likewise, most dough conditioners contain alpha-amylase, which is also an enzyme that breaks down starch into sugar. This break-down process is called hydrolysis. When starches are hydrolyzed, the water that they were holding is released into the dough. This high enzyme activity combined with a long fermentation (more time to break down starch) probably caused the sticky dough.

My suggestion would be use one or the other, but not both.

Regards,

--Paul

Thanks much for the detailed explanation!  I wondered if something like that could be the case.  I had another batch ready for the next day and I was able to work with it better, having learned from the prior day.  I'll give it another go without the LDMP.  Thanks again!
Dough Clinic / Re: Biga produce too wet dough
« Last post by Arnaud on Today at 11:07:16 AM »
No tips I am afraid.  But I have experienced this too.   The dough is undeveloped.
« Last post by 9slicePie on Today at 10:45:03 AM »
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by loch on Today at 10:20:52 AM »

Well I omit the caraway seeds by request, so not a completely fair appraisal of the recipe flavor as is. But Iíve made a few times and flavor is great. I wouldnít call my version strong but might grind a bit of caraway and add in next time. Also I was reading that adding pickle brine is the trick to getting old style deli rye flavor and it kind of makes sense. So really want to give it a try.

Recipe follows. I swapped barley malt syrup for half the molasses.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/georges_light_rye_bread/

Funny. I call it pumpernickel because recipe calls for cocoa but the recipe title says rye so went with that. Recipe above and used Bobís Red Mill Dark Rye flour.

Nice looking loaf! Thanks for sharing the link.

I'm always happy to see Bobís Red Mill Dark Rye flour on the shelf at Safeway.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20