A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Issues with browning  (Read 541 times)

Offline pizzacurious

• I Love Pizza!
Issues with browning
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Looking for some advice. I've made about 4-5 batches of pizza dough over the past few years and they've turned out okay. I've mostly used the "Roberta’s Pizza Dough" recipe from NYT Cooking but every time I've had issues with browning. I read somewhere else on this forum that a flour-white crust could be caused by the chlorine in tap water -- which I use -- but didn't see an update as to whether that user resolved the issue by using spring water. Someone also recommended adding honey to aid in browning.

I've baked the pizza in an oven at 550 F on a pizza stone that I warmed in the oven for about 30min-1hr. I also tried it on my big green egg which got up to around 600 F. In the BGE, the bottom got a little spotting but the rest remained a pale white.

Has anyone tried this recipe before with decent results? Also, thoughts on why the crust isn't significantly rising/puffing up? Let me know if there are any neapolitan-ish recipes you would recommend for a beginner that use ADY or IDY or something else available Whole Foods or other major grocery stores. Anything that would result in a "puffier" crust would be great. Considering making my own starter at some point but not ready to take that on just yet. Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

Here's a link to the recipe I've been using: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzozsBRCNARIsAEM9kBPX6Xo4yXaOSaUH30L3aubC8cr3CMGtxYk3dG8RBvOUdJ67X5bEZMYaAjriEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some pictures attached.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Issues with browning
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »
This pizza was made with the same formula. I baked it at 700°-750° in a Blackstone oven. Yours look to be possibly a bit under fermented?
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline pizzacurious

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
This pizza was made with the same formula. I baked it at 700°-750° in a Blackstone oven. Yours look to be possibly a bit under fermented?

It's possible, though two of those I let rise for a couple hours covered at room temp and another 24 hours in the fridge and another hour or so at room temp covered the day I baked it. How long did you let yours ferment for?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
24 hours CF and about 2 hours RTF using .5% IDY.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
Before I purchased a Pizza Party Bollore I've used this NYT Roberta's quite a few times and had decent, but never great results. The main problem with this recipe and others like it is that there is simply no way to duplicate a Neapolitan-style pizza that needs very high temperatures, like Roberta's, in a regular home oven. This article/recipe, and others like it, almost always fail to mention that basic fact and give you false hope that's it's not only possible, but relatively easy to do.   

Even at 600 degrees, you are still at least a couple of hundred degrees away from the minimum temperatures needed for a pizza like Roberta's. My advice is to bake the type of pizza based on your oven's capabilities (temperature ranges): New York, Detroit, Chicago, Sicilian, grandma, etc., if you're limited to using a conventional home oven. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you're super-critical about the end result. That's been my experience, anyway.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
To answer your question on Neapolitan-ish recipes...

For my home oven pizzas (I use an Ardore now) I used Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan recipe.  I would divide and ball after making the dough, then gradually cook them over the course of a week - between 24 hours and 145 hours fermenting in fridge (best to give it at least 48 hours, better with 72, still good at 145).  I calibrated my oven to +35F (check your manual), set temp at max (550F), and heated a stone for at least an hour, then ran the broiler for 20 minutes.  Surface temps were 600F or a bit more.  Cook was about 7 minutes (bake mode) with the last half to one minute using the broiler.  I used the recipe variation in the 5th post here....

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11917.0

A few shots...

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
Try using a pizza steel on the highest rack of your oven, turn the broiler on to its max setting, preheat for 20 minutes or so, then bake. I get these results in 2 minutes (or less)...