A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Cookbook Reviews / Re: Anthony Falco Pizza Czar
« Last post by Andrew Bellucci on Today at 01:52:17 PM »
People who are willing to do what it takes to make great pizza don't need a book.

Fixed it for you...
I moved from New Jersey to California right before the pandemic and was very pleased to find Bianco DiNapoli—it made me not miss Jersey Fresh. Then Bianco DiNapoli disappeared for a while. Now it’s back, and I think it’s worse. Previously, the whole peeled ones were bright and basil-y and the crushed was very rich. Now they both taste like less exciting blend somewhere in the middle. And the crushed texture is more like purée.

I picked up a can of DiNapoli whole peeled (not Bianco DiNapoli) recently and that tasted how i remember Bianco DiNapoli whole peeled tasting. Gotta get some more.

Anyone else feel this way?

The last can I had of the crushed was exactly like this. Thought it was me. They smelled right and tasted like water. I was like whaaaaaaa
Dough Clinic / Re: Bottom Of Pizza Not Crisp.
« Last post by rsem on Today at 01:31:40 PM »
The other poster may be right about temp of the actual stone, but given the preheat time, I think maybe it should've been close enough, although it has been a while since I've used my ooni (switched to Effeuno). I would start there and ensure my stone was indeed hot enough.

Also, when you formed the skin, did you first flour it on both sides? If so, try also using a course grind semolina, like the one from Bob's Red Mill (if you're in the states).
Rainy day here in Austin, let's make some blueberry gelato.
Chicago Style / Re: Malnatis (Ghee vs. Corn Oil)
« Last post by Garvey on Today at 01:09:17 PM »
Ghee!  Ghee!  Ghee!

Ok, I think I have found my Holy Grail.

Most of the time making DD, I go with just oil, no butter.  Usually a mix of corn and olive.  But the last couple of times, I found myself wanting more flavor in the dough and thought I'd go back to doing some butter with the oil (usually something like 7% butter + 17% oil).

Well, we got a big jar of ghee the other day, and I thought, "Why use butter, which needs to be softened, etc., and is kinda messy, when I have all this ghee?  Should be just as good, perhaps.”

So I came here to see what the conventional wisdom was, and the experience from Bill and Pizzard suggested it was worth a shot.

Well, the results are in: ghee was awesome!  It was easy to work with the dough, and the final product had a lot of buttery flavor. 

I can write up the whole recipe in a new thread if anyone wants, but basically:

Flour 100
Water 52
Corn Oil 11
Ghee 9
IDY 1
Sugar 1
Salt 1.5

450g dough ball for sausage/spinach/mushroom
600g for "the Lou" (spinach/mushroom/tomato)

I prefer less dough, normally 398g, but when working with spinach, I add about 10% extra, so 450 is at the top of my range.  The 600g was actually well balanced for that other pie, which was more heavily laden with spinach and other veggies, and wife and child like more dough anyway.

Nice structure.  Sturdy, liftable pieces for hand-eating.

Cracker Style / Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Last post by tedcholl on Today at 01:07:12 PM »
After 3 months of reading, researching, experimenting, and trying recipes I've got the recipe and process I plan to stick with for a while.  It has the balance I've been looking for between crust flavor, crunchiness, chew, browning, and crust bubbles and lamination.  Everyone who has eaten it mentions how flavorful the pizza is.   I won't know how close I got to Tommy's until I get back to Columbus, Ohio - looking at next month but in the meantime I'm very happy with this version. :pizza: :drool:  If anyone trys this recipe please let me know how it turns out for you.

Dough Recipe:
14" round pizza
thickness factor 0.0825 - seems to be the sweet spot
100% flour - a 50/50 mix of KABF and KA Hi Gluten to match the flour specs that Tommy's uses
43% water
1.25% IDY
1% salt
3.0 % KA Non-diastatic malt powder - I really like the dough flavor with this % of either malt powder or barley malt syrup
5% Crisco - microwaved to liquify it.
This dough was mixed in my KA mixer as I was making a 4 pizza dough batch.  If I make a 2 pizza batch I use my food processor with very similar results.

Making the dough
I started with 72F water in my mixing bowl,  I added all the dry ingredients to the flour, whisked together, and then added to the water.  I mixed on setting 2 until the dough mostly came together, 2-3 minutes , and then added the liquified shortening and continued mixing for around 4-5 minutes until my dough temperature was at 83F.
I bulk fermented at room temperature for 3 hours, then separated the dough into 4 balls, placed them in plastic dough containers, and placed them in the fridge uncovered for 1 hour to form a slight crust on the balls.  I then removed them and lightly brushed them with oil, put a lid on the containers and returned them to the fridge for 2 days.

Making the crusts
After 2 days in the fridge and 1 day before I planned to make the pizza I removed the dough and allowed it to warm to around 65F.  Each ball was cut in half as I planned to use a 2 ply lamination.  Using a manual sheeter, a rolling pin, and some hand stretching I created 2 14" skins, then placed one on top of the other, and made some more adjustments to match the sizes of the 2 skins.  The top skin easily slid across the bottom skin when using the rolling pin. I lightly rolled the 2 skins together.   I did not use any bench flour and did not dock.  Next step was to place a piece of parchment paper on both sides of the crust, then wrap and closed up with 2 pieces of aluminum foil. I returned the dough to the fridge for about 24 hours and then removed to warm up about 1.5 hours prior to making the pizza.  I've also had good success leaving the dough in the fridge for 3 days and then rolling and using the same day I make the pizza.  It is more of a time management technique than something that significantly impacts the flavor.

Making the sauce
I used a 28 oz can of Dei Fratelli Crushed tomatoes.  I added 1/2 tsp of black pepper and salt, 3/4 tsp of garlic powder and onion powder, 2 tsp olive oil, and 1 tsp of dried herbs (I make this by mixing together 3 tsp of Oregano, 2 tsp Basil, and 1/2 tsp of Thyme)  I think the Thyme really adds something to the flavor.  I use 6 oz of sauce for a 14" pizza.

Cheese and toppings
The best pizza cheese I've found is Roth Mezzaluna smoked provolone which can be found in some grocery stores such as HEB in the specialty cheese dept and also in the same dept of Whole Foods - you may need to ask for it and they may order it for you.  I grate it myself.  I use 7 oz of this and add 2 oz of whole milk Mozzarella just to add some additional flavor and texture.  I lightly sprinkle hard shredded parmesan cheese across the cheesed pizza to add addition flavor.   When the pizza is finished and before baking I lightly sprinkle across the pizza a powdered Reggiano cheese (not so salty as using powdered Parmesan), gives additional flavor complexity and the powdered cheese helps absorb some of the grease when baking.

For pepperoni I use the Ezzo GiAntonio 38 mm pepperoni.  I use 4 oz across about 60% of the pizza as I normally leave 40% as cheese only per request of some members of the family.

I also added mild banana peppers, some jarred roasted red peppers, and Fontanini Brand Cooked Pizza Sausage (from Pennmac)

I also give a light sprinkling of KA Pizza spice mix across the top before putting in the oven.

Baking the Pizza
I bake at 550F on stone for 9 minutes, preheated for 1.5 hr.  I like the flavor a lot more using stone vs steel although I need to rotate the pizza half way through the bake when using stone.  I launch from my peel using a mix of Corn Meal and Seminola.  Again - I like the taste and texture this gives to the pizza.
I use 24" long wood shish kabob skewers to pop the bubbles that form in the crust as the pizza cooks. 

The finished pizza is placed on a cooling rack for 2 minutes to allow the steam to escape and I lightly sprinkle garlic powder across the top of the cooked pizza as Tommy's does.  Cut into rectangular pieces.

The crust is very flavorful as is the complete pizza.  I loved eating a couple of cold pieces as well and was very impressed with the flavor. 

If you like your crust with a nice crunch but still with some chewiness and lots of flavor I'd invite you to give this one a try.

Chicago Style / Re: Spinach Deep Dish?
« Last post by Garvey on Today at 12:51:28 PM »
I think I'm never making any other kind of DD for myself ever again.  Spinach-sausage-mushroom.

I sprinkled a little Chihuahua cheese on top before baking, which was tasty but not required.
Dough Clinic / Re: Bottom Of Pizza Not Crisp.
« Last post by Bbqguy on Today at 12:39:36 PM »
Couple things...

Do you actually have a pic of the underside??
It doesn't look like NY style at all. Even though it does indeed look nice.
It looks a bit overcooked. Which 8 minutes at 650 would be overcooked.
I'm guessing you don't know what the stone temp was? If not, maybe you need an infrared thermometer.

And again... it really IS a nice looking pie, even if it doesn't look anything like a NY style pie to me.

I realize it doesn’t look like a classic NY style. I still have much to work on with my shaping and stretching skills, but trust me I’ve made some progress from the amoeba like pizzas I was making. I appreciate the input.
Sicilian Style / Re: 12"x12" Cold rolled steel pans
« Last post by waltertore on Today at 12:19:11 PM »
2 questions- do you ever need to clean your seasoned pans - and periodically do you ever re-season them?

We lightly scrape oil and crud left in pan after each bake, with plastic scraper, and then wipe dry with paper towels.  We use one of those heat resistent plastic spatulas you use to turn pancakes and such to get pies out of pans.   I rarely have to re-season them and if I do just follow the above process at 500 degrees. 
Chicago Style / Re: Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza Recipe - "The Lou"
« Last post by Garvey on Today at 12:14:33 PM »
Winner and still champ, "The Lou"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20