A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Thursday  (Read 9668 times)

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Pizza Thursday
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
Thanks again, everyone!   :)

I knew I had a bread problem when I started buying sea salt in 25kg bags; I guess I've doubled-down on my dough addiction.   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline jever4321

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Wow looks amazing!  Nice work!
-Jay

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
Great work! That is very kind of you to bring them in for your co-workers.

Love the spiral mixer in the house, is it 115v?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
Great post!!

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Nice pies Steve! I enjoy making pies in my WFO without a live fire at times also. Lately, I have a new method I've been toying with, where I insert a removable wall made up with leftover fire bricks. The wall goes in once I have the oven mostly preheated. Then I keep the fire going and im able to maintain a  600* oven for  a couple hours + by just maintaining a small fire.  I use a NY style dough and love the results.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »
the spiral mixer in the house, is it 115v?

It's 240V 1PH, single speed (roughly 90 RPM). I needed to run a circuit but my breaker box was full, so I ended up replacing the box at the same time.

Nice pies Steve! I enjoy making pies in my WFO without a live fire at times also. Lately, I have a new method I've been toying with, where I insert a removable wall made up with leftover fire bricks. The wall goes in once I have the oven mostly preheated. Then I keep the fire going and im able to maintain a  600* oven for  a couple hours + by just maintaining a small fire.  I use a NY style dough and love the results.

I began with that method, but since I have a time limit it was more efficient to use only retained heat. I still push the coals over and run a line of bricks in front, but mostly to avoid cleaning it out -- I haven't had to restart the fire yet.

...it is nice to see the end products.

Peter

Thank you, Peter! I learned a lot from you and Norma (and scott123). I figured I'd better pony up before someone mailed me a camera.   :-D
In grams we trust.

Offline AvivNY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »
That was awesome!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
Wow!  It's really hard to get a good gauge on the size of your oven, but I get the sense it's a lot roomier than the average home WFO setup.  You've got some lucky coworkers.  I've made and brought in pizzas for mine as well, but I don't do it that often because I work really hard and they wind up with yesterday's cold pizza for all my efforts.  When I catch someone microwaving a slice, I get angry and turn into the pizza hulk.  >:(  There's a place near my home that will rent me a countertop Bakers Pride deck oven (120-V) for about $170.  I told my boss if they'll spring for the oven, I'll put together a pizza day at work.  Do your coworkers just eat it cold?  If not, how do you manage it?
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
I told my boss if they'll spring for the oven, I'll put together a pizza day at work.  Do your coworkers just eat it cold?  If not, how do you manage it?

I bring co-workers over for pizza every summer, my boss tells his boss's that it's a team building event  :-D as he wipes the pepperoni grease off his chin.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »
Wow!  It's really hard to get a good gauge on the size of your oven, but I get the sense it's a lot roomier than the average home WFO setup.  You've got some lucky coworkers.  I've made and brought in pizzas for mine as well, but I don't do it that often because I work really hard and they wind up with yesterday's cold pizza for all my efforts.  When I catch someone microwaving a slice, I get angry and turn into the pizza hulk.  >:(  There's a place near my home that will rent me a countertop Bakers Pride deck oven (120-V) for about $170.  I told my boss if they'll spring for the oven, I'll put together a pizza day at work.  Do your coworkers just eat it cold?  If not, how do you manage it?

Mostly they eat it cold; one guy wanted to come before work and get one hot from the oven (and I encouraged him to do so), but it hasn't happened yet. They're cooled on the screens, so they hold really well in the box -- no soggy bottoms.

My oven is a fairly-standard "Pompeii" build (lower ceiling, thicker floor), 42" internal diameter, with a 20" door. The entry is really deep; I fantasize about rebuilding the front and gaining another 10" of cooking depth.   :-[
In grams we trust.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02:23 AM »
Pizza Thursday is on Wednesday this week...
In grams we trust.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
The coals are tucked over on the side for baking. After resting for five hours, the oven was 600F when I opened it this morning. I fired it for about an hour to push it over 700, then tilted the door to wash cold air over the floor to cool the surface before launching the first pie.

The draft door is 1/8" stainless. The handles are curved to regulate the top and bottom openings when it's tipped in the entry.

My temporary insulated door (that I've been using for three years) is riveted together around an insblock/fiber blanket core. The inner stainless panel wraps up the front, and the curved filler is also stainless. The outside is a piece of old galvanized duct, but it stays outside and doesn't get that hot. Someday I'll fill the channel around the edge with glass cord or Nomex gasket, but it does a pretty good job holding steam already.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:52:40 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 06:47:58 AM »
awesome post Steve
Deb

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »
Beautiful work Steve, what are they 16"? Do you give or sell slices?

I used to sell slices at work once a week until HR got involved....  We had a microwave and toaster oven going non stop for an hour on those days. I only did 4 - 18" pies though, good times.
Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »
Thank you! They're 18", TF around 0.082 (recently raised from .078); whole, cold pies only. This batch was lighter cheese than usual, "just because" -- roughly 180g. each, vs. 220-240. This was the last of the Bellissimo "Tesoro" pepperoni. I broke down and bought the 25# case of Margherita, put half in the freezer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:58:45 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
I finally got to hold Pizza Thursday on a Thursday! Made 16 pies, in advance of the snow...

First bake was about 3:40 at 680F, no flames. Last bake was 6:10 at 600F (dome); the deck was cooler because I launch them all to the same spot, but still mid-500's. About halfway through the batch I begin giving them a half-turn, one minute before they finish baking.

Curiously, at that point it's the side facing the door that browns more quickly.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:03:51 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 07:07:42 AM »
I finally got to hold Pizza Thursday on a Thursday! Made 16 pies, in advance of the snow...

That pie looks exactly how I like mine, beautiful pizza  :drool:

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »
I feel like the picture of your kitchen at the end of the day could be the logo for the forum. Truly amazing and inspiring.
Matt

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
I feel like the picture of your kitchen at the end of the day could be the logo for the forum. Truly amazing and inspiring.

That pie looks exactly how I like mine, beautiful pizza  :drool:

^^^
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
Awesome work Steve!! Wood fired NY slice pies, love it!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:28:06 PM by invertedisdead »
the proof is in the pizza