A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: blodget 981  (Read 307 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
blodget 981
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:37:11 PM »
Question- will 500 degrees be enough heat to do great Detriotish / Sicilian?

Looking to add a blodget 981 to my pop up pizza operation to hopefully exploit a market gap next year.

I'm aware it's a 'bake and roast oven' not intended mainly for pizza. I have an opportunity to buy a great condition used oven with stones.

It's max temp is 500 and only 50,000 BTU.

I only need to do 20 pies per hour absoulte max. Given the size (2 decks- 42x32- 18 10"x14" pans) it should keep up with near max temp, without recovery issues. 4 pies on each deck every 20 min exceeds my needs. I'm planning on a par-bake base with a 12-14 min bake.

My goal is to switch to Detriotish pizza will 500 degrees make a high quality Detriotish pizza?

thanks,
Andrew

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: blodget 981
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:11:14 AM »
Not Detroit, but there is a pizzeria that I grew up eating that makes Sicilian pizza and the crust is amazing.  They are at 500.   

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »
thank you.  :)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 11:18:55 PM »
Iím using 500į at home because that is my ovenís limit. Most I have done is 2 at a time, also 2 for the night. Helps that I place the pans on my stone. I do not par-bake. I donít know about commercial and your quantities. It could work but every other part of your setup will have to be tested perfect and adhered to. Right formula, ferment time, and right pans.

Good luck to you.
-Tony

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:02 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going pass on the 981.

I have another old shcool blodget on the line that the current owner is unsure the model. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I'm optimistic it's got the 650 degree dial so it should be a pizza model. Hopefully it has enough power. It will acrually work better for my plan as it's slightly smaller and has only 1 baking chamber ber oven. If it works out it'll be less deck size but double the burneres.

Thanks again
Andrew

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 11:21:08 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going pass on the 981.

I have another old shcool blodget on the line that the current owner is unsure the model. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I'm optimistic it's got the 650 degree dial so it should be a pizza model. Hopefully it has enough power. It will acrually work better for my plan as it's slightly smaller and has only 1 baking chamber ber oven. If it works out it'll be less deck size but double the burneres.

Thanks again
Andrew

If you look on the inside (right) side of the lower oven door (for the burners) there should be a plate with the model # and BTU output.  The 1000's are the best blodgett for any  NY/Sicilian/ Detroit bake.  If they have the original stones you will not have to rotate pies as is not the case with all the modern ovens.  I use a stack in our shop and have worked with them on and off for 50 years.  The down side is they have a smaller deck than most newer ovens and if you are not skilled in assessing their condition you could be into 1,000's in parts plus more in labor if you can find someone who knows how to work on them.  Parts are still available.  Mine are 60 years old and perform flawlesly.  If they are in solid shape the only thing that goes out once a  year or so is the thermocoupler and they are under $30 and take only a few minutes to replace.  I would not put them on a trailer (stones will probably crack).  If you are in a brick and mortor you better check the gas amount to see if there is enough.  that can run into big money to get it right.
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »
Walter,
Thank you for the great information. As always you give more than I could ever hope to repay. :)

Andrew

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 11:43:54 PM »
Walter,
Thank you for the great information. As always you give more than I could ever hope to repay. :)

Andrew

You are welcome :) 
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/