A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Steel vs Anodized Aluminum: What delivers the best results for DSP?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline flatfeed611

• I Love Pizza!
I have a couple of Lloyd Pans, which are anodized aluminum and was wondering if there is really a benefit to using the black seasoned steel pans that need a little bit of extra care.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Steel vs Anodized Aluminum: What delivers the best results for DSP?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:12:54 PM »
I have both and like both pans about the same.   The lloyds pans brown the bottom slightly less than the steel pans and that works for me better when im using especially high water or high oil doughs.  For more typical hydrations the steel pans are a little better as I don't need the extended bake times.  The difference is subtle, though, and either one works for everything with slight adjustments to oven placement and bake times.

Offline podein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
Steel pans are infinitely better. Go to equippers.com and you can buy a bunch of $12 (8X10) or $12.50 (1-X14). There is no question that for caramelization and that light, airy slightly crunchy crust, steel leaves everything else in the dust.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 04:24:03 PM »
Do you have to preheat a steel pan for this application?
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »

I assume podein is talking about a genuine Detroit Steel Pan. They are thinner and transfer heat quickly. They are not like a pizza stone. So no pre-heat necessary, in fact, in my particular oven, I must use the highest top rack to avoid too much crisp on bottom.

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »

Looked up your Effeuno P134H in your Signature. You might want to try using a regular kitchen oven first. I havent heard of many who do a deep dish Detroit style pizza [DSP] in a commercial pizza oven made for quantity 1 pizza.......... maybe someone else on here has, but not me. To me it would seem the heat transfer would be too great?

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 12:38:30 AM »
I assume podein is talking about a genuine Detroit Steel Pan. They are thinner and transfer heat quickly. They are not like a pizza stone. So no pre-heat necessary, in fact, in my particular oven, I must use the highest top rack to avoid too much crisp on bottom.
Aha, I see. Thanks.

Looked up your Effeuno P134H in your Signature. You might want to try using a regular kitchen oven first. I havent heard of many who do a deep dish Detroit style pizza [DSP] in a commercial pizza oven made for quantity 1 pizza.......... maybe someone else on here has, but not me. To me it would seem the heat transfer would be too great?
Oh, I wouldn't use the P134H for this style, but my 575F home oven with rails and racks. I'm looking for a new pan for various applications. Was initially thinking about aluminum, but I'll have to do some reading on steel pans too.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline onedash

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 03:08:05 PM »
I preheat my 3/8" pizza steel to 550 then put my Lloyds pans on that and bake at 350.  I'm not saying there isn't a better way but I will probably never change this method.  It turns out perfect every single time.

wordpress