A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by 02ebz06 on Today at 06:03:37 PM »
I've been to Big Bear a couple times when I lived in Palm Springs.
New York Style / Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Last post by hammettjr on Today at 05:21:24 PM »
A few pages back I posted about the oven I was getting, and needed a way to make an 18" stone sit level because of the lip of the oven rack. Turns out that California Pizza Stones sells what they call "Pizza Posts" which are small pieces of the stone material that you can use for raising a stone. So I got 5 of the smallest size and it seems like it should work great.

Pictures below of the posts, my level stone, and my almost finished new pizza corner.

I just turned the oven on for the first time to break it and the stone in. Sunday's bake I expect will be my usual 14" pie just so that I can get used to the new oven. But I'm excited to finally get a chance to bake an 18" pie.

« Last post by norcoscia on Today at 05:10:32 PM »
I'd love to tell you some artisanal from virgin pigs but it was Hormel cup & crisp. Solid pepperoni.

Yes, pigs that only eat wild hickory nuts while grazing on the sunny side of Mount Vesuvius - Big Bear, before I retired I used to 4 wheel my Bronco up there. Great place and great rock trails….

Thanks for the info…
Chicago Style / Re: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza: Take 4-5-6?
« Last post by PizzaGarage on Today at 04:58:35 PM »
If you're learning to make these start out with a less complicated formulation and start with the basics.  Get the right rise and texture after bake and then move to more complexity.

I would bring this formulation to the basics first.

Go to AP flour not bread flour - you do not want higher levels of protein.  Start with King Arthur (still slightly higher in protein but works) or other AP flour.  Ceresota is perfect

Remove the Semolina

Take hydration to 47% and keep the oils if you want that texture.  If not, take hydration to 57% and add 6% corn oil (my opinion a better crust.

Remove Malt extract

Add 1-2% white sugar
Reduce yeast to .35

For a 12" pan with 2" side I like a 23oz Ball total - you can figure out the math in thickness factor etc..

Mixing:

Throw it all in the bowl, yeast on top of flour - undermix it - about 2-3 minutes on low.

Fermenting:

Put ball in fridge, 48 hours at 34-36%, 72 is better, 24 is ok.

Rise:

Let dough ball warm up 1.1.5 hours, oil the pan, pan the dough and let rise at 90-100 degrees (max) for 1 hour to 1.5 - make sure you cover pan during this time not a show stopper but a good idea, sometimes a dry layer will form on top, can't really tell after it's baked anyway. No need to let rise for 4 hours and punch down, do the above to make it easy as you're learning.

Bake:

Dress and bake, 425-450 on screen on a stone

Start there with basics is my 2 cents.

« Last post by OhioGuy on Today at 04:48:00 PM »
Can you tell me what pepperoni you used - it looks really good!!!

I'd love to tell you some artisanal from virgin pigs but it was Hormel cup & crisp. Solid pepperoni.
Chicago Style / Re: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza: Take 4-5-6?
« Last post by FunkedOut on Today at 04:01:20 PM »
I put all the ingredients, save the fat, into the stand mixer and brought them together using a dough hook.  The 600W Kitchen Aid struggled a bit to get this mixed well as it is so dry, but it got through it alright.  Next time, I'd add some of the fat up front to help things out.
Then I left the mixer running as I drizzled the oil in, a little at a time, leaving the olive oil for last.

The entire dough ball got a bit of hand kneading to smooth it out and I let it rise in the oven with the light on for about 5 hours, when it doubled in size.

I cut the dough into the three individual balls, kneaded each one a bit and placed them into the fridge overnight (~12 hours).

I pulled the balls out and let them come up to temp for about 4 hours, when they again, doubled.  I kneaded each just enough to knock them down again.
This is normally not something I do, but my timing is off with the addition of IDY.

Another 2 hours on the counter and they have not proofed enough for my liking.
I just put them in the oven with the light on for the next couple of hours until baking.

Pictures are forthcoming...
Chicago Style / Chicago Deep Dish Pizza: Take 4-5-6?
« Last post by FunkedOut on Today at 03:50:48 PM »
In a few hours I'll be attempting to bake a Chicago deep dish for the 4th time.
I have been unsuccessful in the past, and I think I know why.
Of course, I say that every time.

All my previous attempts, I have been using the same dough recipe as my NY style; 3% fat content.
1st time was actually a stuffed pizza.  The next two have been 2" deep 14" pies.
With all of them, the crust was so tough, chewy and hard.

I plan to only bring the sides up 1.5" this time.
And I have a new recipe for this dough, based on information gleaned from here, as well as some of my own fear of using sooooo much oil in the dough.
  • (Total Flour = 100%)
  • Bread Flour = 85%
  • Semolina Flour = 15%
  • Hydration (Water) = 50%
  • (Total Fat = 20%)
  • Corn Oil = 15%
  • Olive Oil = 5%
  • Salt = 2%
  • Dry Malt Extract (Sugar) = 2%
  • IDY = 0.5%

Not really relevant here, but 25% of the total flour comes via a sourdough starter.
The sourdough starter is essentially 50% Bread Flour and 50% water.
If you want to do that, you have to subtract half the weight of the starter from both the bread flour and the water.
I like to use sourdough in all my breads, as adds flavor and helps the shelf life.
Plus, I've really grown to understand its behavior.
This time, I am adding a bit of IDY to get a really good fluff.

Shooting for a thickness factor of 0.134, I made a couple of dough balls:
645g for a 12" American Metalcraft straight-walled pan & 610g for a 10" lodge cast iron skillet.  The skillet measures 2" deep and is 12" at the top of the pan.

I got through the math to compute the exact surface area of any pan, straight walled or sloped.  It is surprising how much area that slope adds.

I also made a 350g ball to try using this same dough as a thin crust 14" (thickness factor of 0.079).

I plan to bake all of them at the same time.
Cast iron pan at the bottom of the oven, as it should take longest to come up to temp.
Aluminum pan above that.
Thin crust above that one on an aluminum disc.

450*F and I'll pull them out as they look ready.
I'm thinking ~15 minutes for the thin.
~30min for the other two.
Chicago Style / Re: Keep Sides From Falling When Assembling
« Last post by Jackitup on Today at 02:02:03 PM »
Use ghee to grease your pan...it has a high smoke point and adds a nice flavor as well. It can be pricey, but Trader Joe's tends to be more affordable.

Make your own! I don't care where you buy it, NEVER, EVER as good as homemade!!!! And I agree, ghee is great for greasing pans!
Dough Clinic / Re: Canotto Airy & Crunchy Rim, Suggestion Needed
« Last post by OutRage on Today at 12:40:00 PM »
Thx!!!

I use the double heat method, it helps!
The rim go crunchy on the surface.
for heat resistant wiring try catersparesuk.co.uk, they ship worldwide. round heating elements for the delizia you can find on ebay italia.

Thank you for sharing this site.

Can you tell mu how i can search on ebay.it for the exact round heating element the delizia has now?

Also is there a materials list you can share for the cables and connectors i need to order to replace all needed components for high tempature?  Sorry i dont meen to get an easy pass on this one :).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress