A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Dough Clinic / Re: Dough has a dry top layer after 72 hour cold ferment
« Last post by texmex on Today at 06:46:26 AM »
I just got my latest batch out of the fridge after 3 days, and the hard skin seems to have been avoided this time thanks to the oil and plastic wrap.

Does this dough look healthy? The dough wasn't just a sticky mess so I'm assuming it wasn't 'blown'

Awesome, you finally got a great looking dough, what about the bake?
Dough Clinic / 48-72 Hour Cold Rise Question
« Last post by Rainier42 on Today at 06:13:00 AM »
My question is this, is it best to let new dough proof for a couple of hours at room temperature before placing in refrigerator or is it best to place immediately in refrigerator?
Dough Ingredients / Re: Low Diastatic Malt Powder
« Last post by Rainier42 on Today at 06:07:35 AM »
  sounds good, what's percentage do you use it at?

2%
Prep Equipment / Re: Remodeling kitchen...Best surface?
« Last post by alimanach on Today at 04:26:15 AM »
Quartz is a perfect counterpart not only for the kitchen but also for other areas of your home. I also have quartz in the bathroom, and it is a material worth investing money in. I have always chosen quality even if it is more expensive. But at least it will last in time, and I won't have to change anything after a year. I also chose this material in the outdoor kitchen according to this principle. I also arranged a small area with chairs and tables that I ordered from https://abideinteriors.com.au/product-category/outdoor/outdoor-dining-chairs/ I chose beautiful, stylish, and quality furniture.
Pizza Ovens / Re: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« Last post by Quebert on Today at 04:19:59 AM »
Yes to everything you've said.  From the video, it does appear the Dome gives you a little more room to load/turn your pizza.  However, the finished product looks the same.

It seems with how big it is, they could have figured a way to make it so it could've cooked a true 18" NY pie. If any company ever releases a sub $2k gas powered pizza oven that can make an 18" it'll be a 100% buy for me.  The Dome looks gigantic and it weighs like 170lbs but unless you want to cook 2 really tiny pizzas you're going to max out at same size pizza as the Karu. I know some of the super nice brick ovens you can do an 18" and they have gas options. But I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one, and maybe another body part to get the gas add-on lol.  You mention the extra space in the Dome for turning pizzas and I probably shouldn't downplay that. I went from a Koda 12 to a Roccbox, and the 1st thing I noticed was the stone was an inch smaller in the Roccbox and it was way more difficult for me to launch and turn my pizzas.

And I won't be using that video to help me decide which to buy 1st. I'm convinced Vito could make a better looking pizza in a crappy home oven than me going 100% in my Roccbox lol.
Dough Clinic / Re: Base a little burned.
« Last post by Lisa on Today at 02:43:12 AM »
Can stone and top be set separately? This might help (or not, as the radiation of the tom will heat the stone anyway).
If you drop the baking temp, result will be different.
A solution would be to use a screen, for the whole baking or only half. If you bake many pizzas in a row, the following ones should not be needing it anymore as the temperature of the stone will eventually be lower.

Thank you for your reply.

I can't set the temperature differently for the top and bottom but next attempt I will do as you say and drop the temp down from top heat ( which is a three setting on the device to perhaps a two and a half and see if that works.
Neapolitan Style / Re: sourdough for tonight
« Last post by Yael on Today at 02:09:52 AM »
I made some experiments 2 years ago, maybe you can have a look (reply 19) https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61049.msg610928#msg610928 and (reply 29) https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61049.msg616193#msg616193.

I write that I preferred the result of the same-day dough or 24H CF with 30% sourdough more than the 24H-RTF with 3% SD.
I also found I was getting less 'alveole' when using sourdough, but it went back to "normal" with a higher HR.
Sicilian Style / Re: 12"x12" Cold rolled steel pans
« Last post by Elevatedpizzaco on Today at 02:06:18 AM »
What happened with this?
Dough Clinic / Re: Base a little burned.
« Last post by Yael on Today at 01:55:37 AM »
Can stone and top be set separately? This might help (or not, as the radiation of the tom will heat the stone anyway).
If you drop the baking temp, result will be different.
A solution would be to use a screen, for the whole baking or only half. If you bake many pizzas in a row, the following ones should not be needing it anymore as the temperature of the stone will eventually be lower.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Last post by Heikjo on Today at 01:25:39 AM »
Iíve tried different ball timings and there is no right way to do it, just a lot of different ways. I typically do 24 hour doughs these days with balling after 10-14 hours. The fermentation rate and how tight I ball them also matters. Iíd ball to early rather than too late since balling a dough that has started rising a bit is more difficult. If I ball when it has risen in the range of 0-10% Iím happy. The earlier I ball, maybe I make them a little tighter.

From many videos Iíve seen, Italian pizzaiolos often just give it an hour or two in bulk before balling 8-22 hours, which I find a reasonable explanation for why their balls often seems so easy to open. After spending most of the fermentation time in balls, they should be quite relaxed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20