A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Unopened balls of fresh mozzarella: OK to eat after expiration date??  (Read 4282 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Say you have a bag of fresh [buffalo milk] mozzeralla cheese; is it safe to consume within a week or 2 AFTER the expiration date?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Offline 9slicePie

https://www.pmq.com/making-the-most-of-mozzarella/

Quoting from that article,

"Generally, vacuum-sealed containers of unopened, refrigerated fresh mozzarella will last up to four to six weeks from the date of manufacture, assuming that itís salted."

I don't think the fresh buffalo mozzarella is salted.

Online deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Say you have a bag of fresh [buffalo milk] mozzeralla cheese; is it safe to consume within a week or 2 AFTER the expiration date?

(home setting, not commercial)...     I'm super conservative about leftovers, out of date food, etc.  but I wouldn't think twice about opening a bag of fresh mozz (cow or buffalo) that was a week or two out of date and tasting it (assuming it's not moldy, discolored or off looking).    If it tasted fine I'd use it.   My answer would probably change if in a commercial setting or feeding someone that was at high risk. 
Deb

Offline 9slicePie

(home setting, not commercial)...     I'm super conservative about leftovers, out of date food, etc.  but I wouldn't think twice about opening a bag of fresh mozz (cow or buffalo) that was a week or two out of date and tasting it (assuming it's not moldy, discolored or off looking).    If it tasted fine I'd use it.   My answer would probably change if in a commercial setting or feeding someone that was at high risk.
Yes, home setting.

Thanks for your input.

Offline steenj

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Unopened balls of fresh mozzarella: OK to eat after expiration date??
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »

I once had some packets that was several weeks behind last sales date.
The plastic bad swolloved untill it almost bursted. I tasted it and used it, it had much more flavor than the fresh and tasted good.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 02:47:25 PM »
If itís stored in a fridge, taste and smell fine Iíll eat it. I have used mozzarella weeks past expiration date with no issues.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:01:32 PM »
 ^^^