A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: It's Hatch Chili Season!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: It's Hatch Chili Season!
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »
The green chicken casserole enchilada dish Bruce has mentioned is most likely close to this one:
https://newmexiconomad.com/green-chile-chicken-enchilada/
There is almost always someone who makes this easy dish for a party.  (I like to make it with leftover turkey  after Thanksgiving). Note the variations in the comments section. Depending on the heat you desire, you might want you add more chile. Make the sauce very savory to your taste because the tortillas will absorb a lot of your flavor. Layer the tortillas, rather than roll them, it takes less time and tastes the same as rolled.  I have used a bechemal mushroom sauce instead of cans of soup, as well as using a bag of tortilla chips instead of fresh corn tortillas.  A variation is to use ground beef or ground turkey and nacho cheese Doritos in place of tortillas.  It is very adaptable, and mixing some jack an cheddar is common, although I know some who use cream cheese or sour cream in the sauce.  I always keep the fresh chopped onion and sour cream aside for topping when serving. Many do not want onions in there at all, but raw white onions are a big part of what make enchiladas sing as far as my tastes go. I almost never make a dish the same way twice, so this one is a good basic start.

Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
Posole recipe that is equally adaptable to your taste.  https://mjskitchen.com/2015/12/green-chile-chicken-posole/
I normally have additional condiments like sliced radish or cabbage, chopped onion, lime wedges, and avocado chunks, a dollop of crema, to top the posole with. 
I would like to try several of this person's recipes.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2021, 12:24:15 AM »
For those that don't have access to hatch chiles and a roaster, or just don't care to do it all, Costco has a pretty good product. Hatch Valley Green Chiles. Must use within 3 weeks of opening so I freeze up small containers to use as needed!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:25:56 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2021, 01:04:16 AM »
https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/chicken-and-hatch-chile-stew/#wprm-recipe-container-36437

I made this recipe with a few adjustments. Beef stock instead of chicken, sous vide chicken instead of rotisserie chicken from store and I added chicken wings. 2 mild and one hot 🌶️.

It was excellent and just enough for 5.

Probably try one of the above recipes next.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »
Queso fundido con rajas.
https://muybuenocookbook.com/queso-fundido-mushrooms-hatch-green-chile/

This is a very good gooey, stretchy chile cheese dish to have as an appetizer while you're grilling steaks, served with warm tortillas whatever you like. I really enjoy it with a big spoon of heavily fried greasy red chorizo on top, dig in using part of your tortilla to grab some..the chips will break so if you only have chips, use a fork to top your chip.
Using milder and plumper Poblanos is the norm, but most restaurants and home cooks  around here add or replace hotter Hatch chiles. This recipe uses mushrooms rather than chorizo, I have also seen it prepared with roasted  kernels of corn on top...delish
It congeals when cold, but everyone scrambles to fill their tortilla and seldom do  you have leftovers.  I have sliced or cubed the congealed cheese mix the next day for use in eggs, quesadillas or cold sandwiches. 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:04:26 AM by texmex »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
Queso fundido con rajas.
https://muybuenocookbook.com/queso-fundido-mushrooms-hatch-green-chile/

This is a very good gooey, stretchy chile cheese dish to have as an appetizer while you're grilling steaks, served with warm tortillas whatever you like. I really enjoy it with a big spoon of heavily fried greasy red chorizo on top, dig in using part of your tortilla to grab some..the chips will break so if you only have chips, use a fork to top your chip.
Using milder and plumper Poblanos is the norm, but most restaurants and home cooks  around here add or replace hotter Hatch chiles. This recipe uses mushrooms rather than chorizo, I have also seen it prepared with roasted  kernels of corn on top...delish
It congeals when cold, but everyone scrambles to fill their tortilla and seldom do  you have leftovers.  I have sliced or cubed the congealed cheese mix the next day for use in eggs, quesadillas or cold sandwiches. 

That looks really good. I will definitely give it a try.
Thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:18:30 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
Pork guisado, with Hatch chiles.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »
Looks wonderful!  :drool:
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:40 PM »
For those that don't have access to hatch chiles and a roaster, or just don't care to do it all, Costco has a pretty good product. Hatch Valley Green Chiles. Must use within 3 weeks of opening so I freeze up small containers to use as needed!
Excellent product. Made burrito 🌯 with chicken, garlic, rice ,etc.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2021, 08:12:21 AM »
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2021, 04:24:23 PM »
The king of all nachos. Serve with pickled jalapenos and some TB Diablo sauce. Or better yet, get a Burrito Supreme, open it up, and use the filling as a dip  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2021, 07:03:00 AM »
The king of all nachos. Serve with pickled jalapenos and some TB Diablo sauce. Or better yet, get a Burrito Supreme, open it up, and use the filling as a dip  ;D

For awhile I ate Nachos Bellgrande every weekend after band practice, since hubby loves Taco Bell and he can be very persuasive. Their meat reminds me of Subway bread.  ??? It always has that consistently blah taste of some distant idea of a nuance of flavor. 
Most fast food is like that -- I can taste the staleness just by mentioning the name.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »

Not sure if this is a joke, but Chipotle nacho's are way better then TB.