A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Spiral Mixer - Mecnosud 44kg 240v single phase review  (Read 11313 times)

Offline pkennedy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Spiral Mixer - Mecnosud 44kg 240v single phase review
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »
I'm wondering what kind of dough you are making with the machine?   Could I make a thinner style of American pizza dough with this?   

Most of the people around here want a thinner style of pizza, often neopolitan.   I want to offer something a bit thicker, but I don't want to go full blown light and fluffy dough either.

Offline NewYork

• TAKE THE SHOT!
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
You can mix any type of dough, I would imagine. The drier the dough, the harder it is to mix. We are over 60% hydration in everything we make and have never had a problem through thousands of batches. We now own two of these and the only failure we've had was due to user error.

I'm wondering what kind of dough you are making with the machine?   Could I make a thinner style of American pizza dough with this?   

Most of the people around here want a thinner style of pizza, often neopolitan.   I want to offer something a bit thicker, but I don't want to go full blown light and fluffy dough either.

Offline Camarie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:31 PM »
Mama Mia!! That's a lot of dough!!  :o

Offline NewYork

• TAKE THE SHOT!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 04:43:00 AM »
5 years since the last post and I still have these two in the garage as spares. We have graduated to two much larger mixers: a Sunmix Queen 80 and an Empire IRIS-130-D. Both of these machines have performed incredibly for us.

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2024, 08:35:37 AM »
5 years since the last post and I still have these two in the garage as spares. We have graduated to two much larger mixers: a Sunmix Queen 80 and an Empire IRIS-130-D. Both of these machines have performed incredibly for us.
How do you like the Sunmix?  They are very competitive pricing wise.

Offline NewYork

• TAKE THE SHOT!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2024, 01:26:47 PM »
The Sunmix has been here for two years and so far, it's incredible. I'd buy another.

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2024, 10:36:01 PM »
The Sunmix has been here for two years and so far, it's incredible. I'd buy another.
Does the 80 do 2 bags of flour or a bag and a half?

Offline NewYork

• TAKE THE SHOT!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 12:55:54 AM »
Unofficially: 3 bags.  :o

Offline LucianoButNoO

• Above all, pizza.
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 12:17:42 PM »
Recently bought a Mecnosud Spiral Mixer which is Italian and specifically for mixing dough. It has no other functions beyond making airy dough that isn't heated by the hook. After many long and hard thought sessions, I decided to buy one new. Best decision I have made outside of throwing out those plastic dough boxes and switching to sheet pans. The mixer is absolutely amazing. We load it water/yeast first, flour, then put oil on top. Our batches are full 50lb bag at 60+ % hydration. There was a concern that the mixer would not have enough power given it wasn't 3-phase but it has plowed through like the flour wasn't even there. It only has one speed which is absolutely fine and IT DOESN'T ADD HEAT TO THE DOUGH! It seemed too good to be actually true, but wasn't. The dough does not heat up from the hook's action. That's worth the price of admission alone.

Prior to this we had a globe planetary and a univex planetary. This machine weighs half of the Univex, is on wheels and is so easy to use it's ridiculous. Only negative is getting the bowl off the deck when full. It takes two people to lift because it doesn't have handles. Cutting it out is far easier on your back. Super solid construction and the bowl is bulletproof. It's fully understandable why people use Hobart's and the like- especially if you shred your own cheese and make sauce in it, but just like any other business I've been involved in, "its always been done this way" doesn't work for me. SOOO glad the bet paid off.
 Here's a video of it in action:

I m sure you have tried and true methods, I m curious why you decided to use sheet pans instead of plastic dough boxes? Do you not have a problem with the dough balls drying out or you just don't keep them balled long enough for that to happen? Thanks.

Offline NewYork

• TAKE THE SHOT!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 02:18:52 PM »
Great question! We are at 7500 feet of elevation and the humidity is typically 20% so the dough develops skin in not time flat. Plastic dough trays are tall and sheet pans are not. This allows you to fit 20 sheet pans in a rack as storage is at a premium. We often have 120 trays of dough during high season at various stages of fermentation. Efficiency is everything.

Offline Georgev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2024, 09:51:51 PM »
Great question! We are at 7500 feet of elevation and the humidity is typically 20% so the dough develops skin in not time flat. Plastic dough trays are tall and sheet pans are not. This allows you to fit 20 sheet pans in a rack as storage is at a premium. We often have 120 trays of dough during high season at various stages of fermentation. Efficiency is everything.
Are you using a bleached bromate flour?

Offline LucianoButNoO

• Above all, pizza.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2024, 11:17:10 PM »

Thank you, I knew you had a good reason for that.